PDA

View Full Version : Quiznos commercial

M. Lopez
28th January 2008, 04:35
I don't know if everyone has seen this or not, but there's a clever Quiznos (www.quiznos.com) commercial on TV these days that I'd love to share.

It shows two women sitting on a park bench. One is somewhat plus-size, and is devouring a Quiznos sandwich, while the other woman, who is thin, is watching her, practically drooling. The underweight woman has a voice-over as she looks with jealousy upon the fuller-figured women. She muses:

"She's getting so much joy out of that sandwich....That should be me!"
The thin woman then says to the full-figured woman, with real envy:

"I hate you."
And the plus-size woman looks up from her sandwich and says, with a mix of astonishment and pleasure:

"Wow. Really?"
It's a very clever spot because it consciously reverses the usual media setup of showing the full-figured woman envying the skinny one. It also acknowledges that women who deny themselves food are really missing out on one of life's joys - and that women who allow themselves to indulge are genuinely experiencing a pleasure that starving women lack.

Here's the link to a video of the commercial:

http://www.quiznos.com/commercials/2007/200711_sammies.wmv

It would work even better if the plus-size woman were equally "glamorous" (hair, clothing) as the skinny one, but still, it's a small glimmer of progress - and it shows in which direction the envy really runs, between curvy girls and their underweight rivals.