PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett: ''No Diet, No Gym''

Kaitlynn
16th February 2009, 02:32
Here's a puff piece about Scarlett Johansson that includes some genuinely size-positive quotes from the actresses.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Scarlett-Johansson-on-Her-Body-No-Diet-No-Gym-104491.shtml

The pertinent bits:

Scarlett Johansson on Her Body: No Diet, No Gym

The actress says her hourglass silhouette is all natural

By Elena Gorgan, Life & Style Editor

13th of February 2009

It’s refreshing to see that there are at least a handful of celebrities that promote a healthy lifestyle with their image. Scarlett Johansson, never the kind to play by conventions, is one such female star and she has yet again set an example to women worldwide by admitting that she has never dieted or worked herself to the bone to lose weight.

Scarlett, as it is known, is famous for her hourglass figure, which is to say she is quite the opposite of stick-thin celebrities such as Victoria Beckham, Kate Moss, Nicole Richie and many other female stars... Now, with her latest statement, she comes to add yet many other female fans to her constantly expanding and loyal fanbase. Scarlett does not diet and does not work out, and is perfectly happy with the way she looks.

When asked by InTouch Magazine how come she did not “subscribe to the scary-skinny craze in Hollywood,” Scarlett simply admitted that doing that would be absurd, since this was not what she understood by a beautiful woman. “That’s the biggest nonsense ever! Count me out. I don’t understand [it]. And besides, I like to eat too much.” the star told the magazine. This is one of the healthiest approaches to food ever put into words by a female star, it has already been said.

As for working out until exhausted to stay in shape, Scarlett explained that was not her thing either. “I’ve seen gyms only from the outside. I feel very comfortable with my body.” she added...

Scarlett Johansson has spoken before on the issue of skinny celebrities, vouching that she would never put herself through all that trouble for nothing, and to ruin her health too. For her, it seems, learning to be happy with her looks is the key to a healthy lifestyle – as also can be for the millions of women worldwide starving themselves right now, several media outlets point out.
It's very empowering to hear that this intelligent actresses has a different understanding of beauty than what the media pushes. I love her line: "I've only seen gyms from the outside."

Its also nice to see that the writer of the article concurs, when she says that Scarlett's acknowledged love of eating is a "healthy approach to food." And it is! Starvation is unhealthy, while eating generously is natural for women. That should be obvious, but as usual, the diet industry has turned common sense backwards and replaced truth with lies.

I especially appreciate that Scarlett slams gyms and working out. Gemma Arterton said something similar recently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1145548/KATIE-NICHOLL-Gemma-Arterton-takes-chin--gives-critics-barrels.html

The point:

Gemma, who appeared naked and slicked in oil in the 007 movie Quantum Of Solace, said she had no plans to slim down for future movie roles and took a swipe at her critics, declaring: ‘I refuse to conform to this muscly, sinewy look that so many actresses seem to think is attractive.

'I hate it and I don’t think it’s very feminine. I dress like a woman and I wear a lot of couture because it’s made for real women with curves.’
Both Scarlett and Gemma are stating point blank that toned looks are unfeminine and ugly, and that untoned, natural softness is actually what makes women beautiful. And they're right.

I just wish these same statements were coming from a fuller-figured actress or model. If they were, then they'd make a more powerful impact.

Luminosa
18th February 2009, 17:13
I think its a great thing that a high-profile actress like Scarlett Johanssen would make such positive comments about true feminine beauty. I think it's a positive step, because the comments are coming from the ranks of Hollywood's elite: young beautiful actresses who are not endorsing the warped, harmful images and lifestyles that are so prevalent in American society today. I am glad they had the courage to speak out and I hope more of them do.

Hannah
2nd March 2009, 04:32
I absolutely agree with Luminosa.

There was an article along these lines about Halle Berry a little while ago, in which she made some remarkably enthusiastic comments about being curvier.

The catch? She was pregnant at the time.

But if you read the piece, it sounds like her enthusiasm was not motherhood-related, but rather, she specifically felt good about being heavier, and about being able to eat.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article664531.ece

HALLE BERRY has told how she can finally relax on the red carpet now she is pregnant.

The Oscar-winning actress - who is seven months pregnant with her first child with partner GABRIEL AUBRY - was presented with the Desert Palm Achievement Award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival on Saturday night and revealed she loved not trying to be thin.

Halle confessed: "It is true that I am three times the girl I usually am.

"I have to say there are some really wonderful things that come along with that.

"This is the first red carpet that I've really walked down where I didn't have to think about holding in my stomach - because I can't."

She added: "It's the first time I've been to an awards show where they served a meal and I actually ate it - the whole thing.

"I was eating off everybody else's plate and that felt very liberating and good."

Blimey.

I wish movie stars would let themselves go a bit more often.

Even Halle herself has admitted in the past that her fuller figure has left her feeling better than ever.

"I feel more sexy now than I've ever felt," she said.

"Really, truly, sexy.

"I put on a great dress and sometimes I'm like: 'OK! I don't look so bad,' but I never felt sexy in the way I feel sexy now."
So if she feels "liberated" and "more sexy now" and "wonderful" while she's bigger, as she says, then why don't stars allow themselves to look curvier all the time? Why wait for the "excuse" of being pregnant?

Morever, why doesn't the media applaud the curvier look of actresses (e.g., Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson) when they gain weight naturally, not through pregnancy?

At any rate, even if the celebrities don't permit themselves this indulgence, one wishes that most women would. It clearly leads to greater self-satisfaction and a happier life.