PDA

View Full Version : Militantly Skinny Women

Patrick D
12th April 2010, 17:10
Here is a post that I wrote on my Web log on the topic of militantly skinny women, after my daughter was confronted with the issue of size. Perhaps it's a bit strong, but it reflects my passion and anger about the issue.

. . . .

Are you one of these women who try their darndest to be a size 4? Do you eschew real food for a diet that would make a rabbit jealous? Congratulations; I am sure you are skinny. But let's not confuse that with sexy, because you aren't. At least not to most men. And I bet that you think that you are, and judge other women harshly.

I have a six-year-old who has already been confronted with this in her school, when one of her friends told her that she and my wife both were too f** and needed to lose weight. She is SIX YEARS OLD and is not the least bit overweight. I live in a relatively well-to-do area where there are lots of these plastic, skinny types, and I am willing to bet that their daughters are the ones trying to co-opt mine. I am sick and tired of it.

Sorry to disappoint you, ladies, but it is not men you are trying to impress. You want other women to feel jealous. You know it, I know it, and now the world knows it. If you are shaking your stick-like arm at your computer, I suggest you look deep into your heart because you know that what I say is the truth.

How are we defining “skinny?” Let's just say that if you have a body shape reminiscent of a pre-pubescent boy, you are too skinny. If you routinely say, “Boy, that Victoria Beckham sure is getting f**,” you are too skinny. I'm not after a size, but a state of mind. The militant dieter, trying to keep a size 2 while working out all the time because she has either a deflated sense of self worth or wants to be skinny for reasons she may not even understand - she is my target.

These women starve in order to make other women feel jealous.

Of course, if it comes natural to you to be a size 6 then great; I don't have a bone to pick with you. I know many women like this who are perfectly nice people. Not like the harpies who warp our notion of beauty and who make little girls feel like they need to lose weight. Models, agents, New York City women that think the “Real” Housewives are “real” - these are the women deserving of scorn.

It is not men that you are after, that is for sure. Most men do not find women who are too skinny attractive at all. Who wants to see protruding collarbones a la Marcia Cross on Desperate Housewives? Who wants hips that are so flat they can be used as a carpenter's level?

Askmen.com, admittedly a non-scientific entity (but we will get to some science in a bit), asked men what they prefer. Men overwhelmingly said that they loved bigger women better, mostly because such women were more comfortable and assured with themselves. This makes sense. Only a masochist wants to marry a woman who is constantly complaining that there are too many calories in a carrot. Men rejected women that had a “lollipop” body shape in favor of curves.

If you are the serial dieter trying to be a size 4, don't you see that you are not comfortable or assured with yourself?

Historically it has always been the case, at least until the 1960s, that overly skinny women were considered unattractive. You see, biology is a powerful tool. We are hard-wired to prefer rounder women. When we were still hunter-gatherers, skinny women were malnourished, so they were not desirable partners. And after thousands of years, this has not changed. Such women are still malnourished, and still not desirable partners from a compatibility perspective, at least not to a male who isn't brainwashed by the media. Only now women are being duped by this claptrap about BMI, dieting etc. Enough is enough.

You want something more than pop science? A recent study showed that an hourglass figure actually operated on the same parts of the male brain as certain drugs and alcohol. Curvy women make men intoxicated!

If you think that the emaciated starlets of today, with their warped minds and even more warped bodies, are sexier than curvy ladies, well, there is not much that I can say to dissuade you, other than to say that you need serious help.

Women who lord this over other women, who run the fashion industry and pervert little girls into thinking that they need to be skinny, you are to blame. Women who are constantly carping about others, cattily making fun of others in order to fill that terrible crevasse in their self-esteem, you are worthy of ridicule.

Sadly, the majority of women are tricked into wanting tiny waists, while men prefer plus-size goddesses. So spare me the criticism of the "patriarchy" about how women are subjugated to male views of sexuality. Men are too lazy to go to the trouble of forcing something that we don't want on society as a whole. Women largely have members of their own gender to blame.

Which model do you prefer?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2055c8i.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/11radk2.jpg

Or which celebrity?

http://i41.tinypic.com/25zq7no.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/11av0o9.jpg

These are all fair representations of the persons depicted, and in every case men will go with the fuller-figured lady.

Meredith
13th April 2010, 05:13
The problem is that many underweight women seem to derive their entire self-worth just from the degree to which they conform to the media standard. It's really quite sad, if you think about it. "I'm doing what I'm told. I'm starving like I'm supposed to. So envy me." Ridiculous. Envy them for being mindless conformists? For having their behaviour programmed by advertisers? Hardly.

Worse yet, for many women, starvation becomes a kind of false religion, and they invest all of their sense of self-worth into it, and lace it with moralistic overtones. They start to actually consider themselves "better" according to a freakish moral code where looking corpse-like is somehow virtuous.

More pitiable yet are the naturally curvy women who starve themselves into an unnaturally emaciated size, then start preaching their faux-gospel to others. They speak negatively of being curvy in terms that are all too reminiscent of "damnation" and "sinning" talk.

But these reactions make sense, in a sad kind of way. The diet-zealots are denying and depriving themselves, torturing themselves into a shrivelled figure, and they desperately want their suffering to mean something. Because the alternative is too horrible for them to contemplate -- that all of their self-imposed starvation is meaningless, and they are punishing themselves for no reason at all.

No wonder they are chastened by the sight of happy, full-figured goddesses, and try to tear down those goddesses, to make them as miserable as they are. For the diet-zealots, such women are living rebukes, uncomfortable reminders of the pleasurable life that they are denying themselves -- a life of eating what they want, enjoying themselves to the fullest, and looking more beautiful in the process.