PDA

View Full Version : Holly Madison celebrates dimpled flesh

Chad
3rd March 2011, 16:35
Although this site generally avoids celebrity gossip, here's a bit of Hollywood PR that actually has some merit.

Holly Madison, a former Playboy model (I know, I know - but hear me out), recently attracted the usual media criticism for gaining weight. In Hollywood terms, of course, that means that she went from "anorexic" to merely "underweight," so it's only a minor improvement. But what she has done to tackle the absurd criticism is commendable.

Instead of piously starving herself back down to an even-more-emaciated frame, she appears in a sensual photoshoot for Life&Style magazine, and the first image from the shoot is truly beautiful. It celebrates the soft curves along her back, as well as some dimpled flesh in her figure, in a very attractive way. She is even seen flirtatiously eating a cupcake.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/02/article-1362305-0D711A2E000005DC-303_634x759.jpg

Okay, she's thin - not even faux-plus. But what makes this photoshoot more valuable than the usual "body positive" imagery from those dreadful "real woman" campaigns is that the context is meant to be consciously alluring. She isn't in industrial white undergarments under fluorescent lighting, like those horrid Dove pictures. This is a seductive pose, seductive attire; the styling is very much in the manner that media-sanctioned "hot" women are presented. This isn't a picture of anti-beauty, but of superior beauty. It is the sensualization of dimpled flesh. The theme is not "real women have flaws," but "sexy girls have dessert," and the difference is critical.

Also, the magazine's article (http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/2011/03/holly-madison-3-2-2011.html) comes with some wonderful pro-indulgence comments.

"I'd rather be 'overweight' and curvy than super thin with no curves," Holly, 32, exclusively tells Life & Style at the photo shoot on Feb 21. "I'm proud of my body."

"After moving to Vegas, I lived in a suite in Planet Hollywood for a year and ordered room service all the time," Holly says. "I like food too much to go on some crazy diet. French fries are my favorite downfall."

"I've always had a butt, and I want to keep it -- cellulite and all...I love my curves." Holly tells Life & Style.
I wonder how much of the pointless stigma that women feel about this physical feature simply derives from that unattractive term. "Dimpled flesh" sounds much nicer.

The Daily Mail article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1362305/Holly-Madison-embraces-imperfections-unairbrushed-bikini-shoot.html) from which I sourced the above image also includes some delectable commentary:

Coupled with her busy schedule, Madison admits to loving her food.

‘My favourite type of food in Vegas is the gourmet drunk-food kind: mac ‘n’ cheese, adult tater tots and pigs in a blanket. I just love, love, love food!’
The only thing that would have made this more positive is if the celebrity in question had been a true plus-size model (over a size 14) rather than such a slim girl. However, it is still a visual celebration of dimpled flesh, a picture in which the soft curves along a woman's back are showcased and even glamourized. And that is an encouraging sign.

Ideally, the picture might even prompt full-figured fashion retailers to stop airbrushing similar features on actual plus-size models, and to show their visible curves as well - because all curves are beautiful.

Here's a brief video about Holly's shoot.

<iframe src="http://widget.newsinc.com/single.htm?WID=2233&VID=23342096&freewheel=90051&sitesection=nydailynews&h=553&w=680" height=553 width=680 frameborder=no scrolling=no noresize marginwidth=0px marginheight=0px></iframe>

Some of the commentary is off, but the video certainly shows that the lovely curves along her back are genuine; plus, the idea of a candy-themed shoot is quite enticing.

MelanieW
4th March 2011, 21:04
This isn't a picture of anti-beauty, but of superior beauty. It is the sensualization of dimpled flesh. The theme is not "real women have flaws," but "sexy girls have dessert," and the difference is critical.
I agree. This is a very effective anti-photoshopping message. Showing girls and young women that they can look sexy while displaying dimpled flesh is much more persuasive than merely telling them to "accept their imperfections," or such awful talk. This is well done. Say what one will about the messenger, but the message is excellent.

And what a lovely photograph. It shows that even an underweight girl can look sensual if she displays some softness in her figure. I would love to see a plus-size model shoot an identical picture, similarly free of airbrushing.

The photo reminded me of the first "All Curves are Gorgeous" thread on this site, from a few years ago:

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/board/showthread.php?t=472

Of course, since then, there have been many further images celebrating soft, visible curves along the back, as well dimpled flesh. I would love to see the plus-size industry champion this more often.