PDA

View Full Version : ''A citrus scent on a summer day''

MelanieW
9th November 2005, 19:16
If there was one topic that I did NOT think it would ever be possible to tie in with the topic of this forum, it was perfume. But I stumbled upon a British article that actually makes a connection. Here is the relevant bit -

"The latest trends in fragrance tend to focus on deep, provocative formulae, a world away from the light, unisex scents...of the Nineties. Just as curvy, hourglass silhouettes are making a return in fashion, womanly, grown-up fragrances are more popular than in decades."

First of all, how nice to have further confirmation that "curvy, hourglass silhouettes" are "making a return in fashion". I think this is quickly becoming a generally-recognized fact.

Its also especially interesting to see that "unisex" (i.e. androgynous) scents are out of style, as contrasted with more "womanly" fragrances that the article associates with the curvy comeback. Its another example of the natural equation of curviness with ultra-femininity, and gauntness with androgyny.

The only thing I would have to say is that the article gets it totally wrong when it comes out against citrus scents. I know for a fact that citrus perfumes are by far the most appealing. They are by far the most feminine, and always get the most attention.

Link here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=P8&xml=/fashion/2005/11/09/efperfume09.xml

M. Lopez
19th November 2005, 21:56
The only thing I would have to say is that the article gets it totally wrong when it comes out against citrus scents. I know for a fact that citrus perfumes are by far the most appealing. They are by far the most feminine, and always get the most attention.
This is so true. I think the writer made a mistake by using an editor of GQ as her "representative" male. "Sweet or fruity fragrances" always get the best response - by far. I think it's because they conjure an image of an idyllic spring/summer day, ripe and fresh, with budding, flowering nature all around........