PDA

View Full Version : ''I love my weight gain'' (article)

M. Lopez
2nd February 2012, 13:12
This is surely one of the most affirmative, pro-curvy articles I've ever read.

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-02-01/girl-talk-i-love-my-weight-gain/

The entire piece is a must read, but just listen to some of the finest passages:

I used to be really skinny. So skinny my ribs stuck out...But then I gained weight when I turned 25, which is how old I am now. It seemed like my body changed suddenly. The weight clung to certain body parts and refused to leave.

I went along, quietly disgusted by my new body...Until very recently, when I tried on an extremely tight dress, as a joke, and Ö I looked amazing. I looked curvy and sexy and spunky and daring and amazing. And I looked that way BECAUSE of my weight, not in spite of it.
How delightful to hear this young woman experience an aesthetic turn in thinking. Suddenly, she realized that she was more than just "okay" with being curvier, but that she was more beautiful at a fuller size than when she was skinny. The very words that she uses, recognizing that she is beautiful "because of her weight, not in spite of it," has been a key mantra of the Judgment of Paris from day one.

She realizes that she had been brainwashed into not recognizing her own loveliness, until the scales fell from her eyes and she saw herself accurately for the first time:

Iíd been so busy thinking that weight gain was pretty much always bad news, and that sexiness was pretty much the property of skinniness, that Iíd missed out on my own beauty.
This passage made me think of Katherine Roll's recent exciting image (http://www.judgmentofparis.com/board/showthread.php?t=2401#post7143) for Osvaldo Ponton:

I stared at myself in the way-too-tight dress. Maybe it wasnít way too tight. Maybe it was just right. I stuck my butt out a little.

Oh yeah.

I was in love. I was in love with my weight gain.
The very thing that the modern media condemned was the very thing, she realized, that made her gorgeous. Nature gave women generous appetites so that they would experience pleasure in growing curvier and becoming more beautiful.

The article even includes passionate and sensual pro-indulgence passages:

I love carbs. Passionately. Enduringly. I have no willpower. And Iím basically a sloth. Once my athletic and hardworking Mom ruefully said that it seemed like I was genetically predisposed to lying on a bunch of cushions and being fanned by stoic servants with palm fronds. In other words, I have the princess gene...

That night, I ate pasta, and I didnít feel guilty at all.
I love that formulation: "the princess gene." This site has always maintained that full-figured beauty is an aristocratic ideal. This writer intuitively recognized this fact, simply by virtue of her own luscious appearance.

In the final passage, she returns to the key theme: That the truth of her aesthetic beauty overcame the lies that the mass media had pumped into her head for years. Note even her use of the word "guilty" to describe her former, body-disparaging state, in keeping with this site's description of the androgynous standard as an "aesthetics of guilt":

Had I really been feeling guilty all that time? Itís humiliating, but actually, I had. The whole world had made it perfectly clear to me that gaining weight is not cool. It is not attractive. Itís the thing you are supposed to fight against ó to the death, if necessary. With the whole world shouting in my ear about it, I couldnít hear myself.

And as it turns out, I like the way I look. Itís probably truly bizarre and unheard of and goes against every magazine cover in the world, but I like being at my heaviest weight. Especially in a skintight dress.
But it's not "bizarre" at all, and not "unheard of." In every century prior to our own, the feelings that she describes - recognizing that women are most gorgeous because of their weight, and that increased fullness equals increased beauty - would have been recognized as self-evident truths.

Even today, it's not the "whole world" that claims that "gaining weight is not cool." Only the media world - only "every magazine cover." But that's an artificial sample, a false reality created by alien, marginal individuals with fringe tastes and a bias against traditional values of every kind. Even today, the silent majority recognizes that a softer, fuller appearance is more gorgeous than an emaciated one. And that belief has the support of the entire history of Western culture behind it.

Joey
11th September 2012, 10:36
This got me cheering, quite literally :) How WONDERFULLY refreshing! An article that truly made my day.

Thank you, M. Lopez, for sharing this!