PDA

View Full Version : Model dies of anorexia - at 19

M. Lopez
24th August 2013, 10:59
Here it is again: a recent example of a recurrent tragedy in the modelling world - a young girl (only 19 years old) dies of anorexia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137423/Bethaney-Wallace-Anorexic-cover-girl-model-19-dies-sleep-weight-drops-6-stone.html

What is especially tragic is that this model was working - and yet still was brainwashed into thinking that she needed to starve herself.

At 19, with several teen magazine cover shoots behind her and the prospect of a lucrative modelling career ahead, she appeared to have the world at her feet.

But while to others she seemed a confident and beautiful young woman, Bethaney Wallace was facing a crippling struggle with eating disorders which saw her weight plunge to under 7st – and which finally claimed her life.

Doctors believe that, over the three years since she developed anorexia and bulimia, her condition had weakened her heart and it gave out as she slept.

Yesterday, her father Clive, 47, said: 'She lost her self-esteem.

'She would say she was f** but she was so beautiful – she didn't realise how beautiful she was.

'I tried to warn her that her organs would fail but she just said: “Don't be silly”.

A spokesman for the eating disorder charity Beat said: 'Our hearts go out to Bethaney's family.

'Eating disorders take a huge toll on the body over a period of time.'
The last point is especially significant. The diet-starvation and exercise-torture industries push the falsehood that body-diminishment is "healthy," but in fact, the opposite is true. Weight loss takes a severe toll on the body - whereas studies have shown that being curvier actually benefits health and allows women to live longer.

It's criminal propaganda that brainwashes women into ruining their own health for a physical standard that is unnatural (and against which the body naturally and rightly rebels). And the entire media is promoting this lie - with, as we see, tragic consequences.

Clay
5th October 2013, 03:07
It recently came to me that the fashion industry has managed to weasel its way through several federal regulations. For example, OSHA is known to impose fines for anything that remotely could be a safety hazard in most industries. How has the fashion industry requiring models to starve themselves to death not gotten OSHA's attention? Also, these un-human skeletons that the fashion industry calls "models" showing up on TV screens and wherever else has to be in violation of some indecency or obscenity law.

I was recently looking online for a winter coat, and I came across two custom clothing companies run by (what appears to be) a husband-and-wife team of Lianna K. and A.J. Machete. Reading the about us section, specifically the part that Lianna worked for "10 years in the fashion industry designing for Liz Claiborne and other brands," made me wonder how much of designer clothing is just putting a label on something and inflating the price, and if these big name designers actually do any of the designing. After a bit of Google research, it seems as though intellectual property laws, such as copyright laws, do not apply to the fashion industry.

Meredith
8th October 2013, 10:18
Here's a truly horrifying article about one model's near-death battle with anorexia, which, she points out, is not only mainstreamed but practically mandated in the fashion industry.

http://www.stylelist.com/read/former-model-her-organs-were-failing-but-designers-still-tried/?icid=maing-grid7|htmlws-main-bb|dl24|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D386929

It sounds more like life in a concentration camp than a career:

Former teen model Georgina Wilkin was scouted in 2006 and started modeling at age 15. Throughout her career, she became so thin from lack of eating that her organs began to fail, but designers were still lining up to book her. So for the next 7 years, she would battle with anorexia.

After just a year of working, she became too ill to continue, and was immediately admitted into the hospital for anorexia. "In hospital the doctors made no secret of the fact that my life was in danger. My vital organs were under such strain that there was a risk my heart could stop or my kidneys pack up," she said. What upsets her most now is that she still sees women in huge campaigns that show the same signs of anorexia that she did: blue lips and fingers that needed to be covered with concealer because her heart was barely pumping to send blood around her body.
So much for the "glamorous" world of minus-size modelling. These girls are living near death.

There's more about the misery of her life in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2442084/Anorexic-model-Georgina-Wilkin-organs-failing-designers-booked-her.html

She says:

'I feel very lucky to have survived but it makes me really angry to see images of models who I know are seriously unwell due to eating disorders.

'Most high fashion brands have used anorexic girls in their campaigns and the only way this will stop is if we stop buying their products.'
But that's simply unrealistic.

The only way these criminal abuses --for that's what they are -- of young girls, and near-fatal workplace conditions will stop is with government legislation that puts an end to them and mandates the use of plus-size models (i.e., the only models who are not anorexic) in all campaigns, and bans the use of underweight girls.

Anything less, and these abuses will continue forever, at the cost of countless women's health and lives -- not only of the models themselves, but of the girls who inevitably emulate them, brainwashed as they are by their skeletal appearance into thinking that a cadaverous look is what they should be killing themselves to achieve.

Clay
8th October 2013, 16:37
A Link (http://www.stylelist.com/read/what-the-newly-passed-child-model-labor-bill-means-for-the-fashi/) in one of the articles posted above reveal even more alarming facts about the fashion industry, featuring insight from Katia Elizarova.

Young women in the modeling world are often lured into poor situations, she explains.

"This is not a nice part of our job. If you're a model and your agency hasn't paid you in months, you don't have anything to eat - and then someone comes over and says, 'We're doing free dinners in the club, come and bring your girlfriends,' of course you go," she said. "Then you have 20 men perving at you, but you're so hungry you don't care."
How are the agencies getting away with not paying their models?

In these situations, she explains, girls as young as 16 or 17 are drinking alcohol or being slipped drugs by older men.
This is highly illegal everywhere in the US, and most likely in most of the world.

She spoke about an American model who felt it was normal to faint a lot -- often daily -- because of hunger, of a casual lunch in 2004 in which an agent told her that her clients were eating tissues as they made them feel less hungry
I am no doctor, but I am certain fainting regularly and eating tissues is not good for health.

The most disturbing thing that Clements told the Guardian, though, was the story of the "fit model." A top Australian model was discussing her roommate, who she would rarely see because she was in the hospital hooked up to an IV most of the time. Her roommate was a "fit model" -- used in top designer workrooms as the body around which the clothes are created. Is this the "ideal body type" for the garments, someone who needs to be hooked up to a drip because she's so thin?
The article does mention that in "June, the New York State Senate passed a motion to protect models under 18 in the state of New York". While this may at first seem like a first step improving the fashion industry from the sickness it has become, further insight on the bill reveals that it is very poorly thought out and severely flawed in its execution, with easy work-arounds and too lenient consequences to be effective.

Clay
31st October 2013, 04:39
The last point is especially significant. The diet-starvation and exercise-torture industries push the falsehood that body-diminishment is "healthy," but in fact, the opposite is true. Weight loss takes a severe toll on the body - whereas studies have shown that being curvier actually benefits health and allows women to live longer.

It's criminal propaganda that brainwashes women into ruining their own health for a physical standard that is unnatural (and against which the body naturally and rightly rebels). And the entire media is promoting this lie - with, as we see, tragic consequences.
I recently heard a rather lengthy (and false) detail-filled diet-starvation ad on the radio that completely drove homeM. Lopez's point.

Here are a few points that stood out to me, and not in a good way.

"A woman should be as thin as possible to be healthy and live longer"
When hey said "as thin as possible," my brain translated that as negative-size anorexic, which is DEFINITELY not healthy.

"Losing weight reduces cancer risk"
Considering the statement before, my guess is they figure once you are that thin, you will die of some malnutrition-related illness long before cancer can even develop. They did not even say anything about clinical studies or anything of the like.

"Be thin to look younger"
This has to be the biggest lie of the 21st century. All of the mainstream anorexic models I have seen looked to be in their 60s to 80s, even though they are in their teens or early 20s. On the other hand, plus-size models and other full-figured ladies I find often look younger than they really are.

The ad was basically a quickstart guide to developing a serious eating disorder. A scam in any case.

Joey
10th April 2014, 06:48
I recently heard a rather lengthy (and false) detail-filled diet-starvation ad on the radio that completely drove homeM. Lopez's point.

Here are a few points that stood out to me, and not in a good way.

"A woman should be as thin as possible to be healthy and live longer"
When hey said "as thin as possible," my brain translated that as negative-size anorexic, which is DEFINITELY not healthy.

"Losing weight reduces cancer risk"
Considering the statement before, my guess is they figure once you are that thin, you will die of some malnutrition-related illness long before cancer can even develop. They did not even say anything about clinical studies or anything of the like.

"Be thin to look younger"
This has to be the biggest lie of the 21st century. All of the mainstream anorexic models I have seen looked to be in their 60s to 80s, even though they are in their teens or early 20s. On the other hand, plus-size models and other full-figured ladies I find often look younger than they really are.

The ad was basically a quickstart guide to developing a serious eating disorder. A scam in any case.
That's just awful!

I agree, it really is the biggest lie that one must "be thin to look younger." Curves and beautiful fullness are plump with moisture, and not deprived of nutrients like thin frames are.

Even when i was young and body conscious, I remember wondering why every larger woman I saw always looked fresh, youthful, and had beautiful skin. Today I realize that it's because fuller-figured women nurture their bodies, while those with thin frames are being taught to do the exact opposite, which is OF COURSE going to be very aging on the body and face!