PDA

View Full Version : ''Too thin for my taste''

M. Lopez
13th July 2006, 16:33
The publicity pieces about Hollywood actresses expressing a preference for curves are starting to wear a little thin. It may be better to have them making size-positive statements than shilling for diet companies, but it's still a case of lip service - empty words. The most notorious offenders are the actress who claim to eat heartily, or who claim to want to put on weight, but remain just as skeletal as ever. They are obviously just trying to deflect (justified) charges of anorexia, and of setting a bad example for young women, while still kowtowing to the Hollywood power mongers - and many of those power mongers are now women, proving (once again) that women are even more dictatorial about imposing unhealthy emaciation than men.

Here's one from Scarlett Johansson. She's a tad curvier than most actresses, so I'd sooner regard her publicity piece as genuine, than those of the bone fide bags of bones. But let's face it, she's still unnaturally thin. At least her message is a sound one:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/07/13/scarlett_johansson_dislikes_america_s_in

Here's the relevant text:

Scarlett Johansson Dislikes America's Infatuation With Weight

07/13/06

Scarlett Johansson has hit out at stick thin Hollywood actresses. The Lost In Translation star, famed for her curvaceous body, insists the movie industry is too obsessed with the weight of their leading ladies and admits she is worried about the pressure to stay super slim. She said: "It is obvious to me that there is an overwhelming amount of women, of actors I look at, and they're too thin for my taste."

Scarlett, 21, says she finds the emphasis put on actresses weight and the seemingly endless list of fad diets exasperating - because they are far more important things happening in the world that deserve attention.

She added in an interview with Daily Record newspaper: "There's mass genocide and starvation and epidemics but people don't want to talk about those things - they just want to talk about who eats what for lunch. Who cares? I think all Americans are obsessed with weight and it's wrong."

Chad
15th July 2006, 01:05
She added in an interview with Daily Record newspaper: "There's mass genocide and starvation and epidemics but people don't want to talk about those things"
The grim irony is that Scarlett probably means third-world famine when she mentions "starvation", but starvation is also happing in North America. And worse, it's self-imposed - by the anorexic actresses whom Scarlett rightfully condemns, and also by the young women who emulate them, and deprive themselves of the food that they naturally desire.

There's been a spate of curve-related celeb gossip lately. It may be banal, but, as Ms. Lopez says, it's better than diet promotion. Here's a tiny item regarding Beyonce:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_objectid=17382643&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=a-bouncier-beyonce--name_page.html

A BOUNCIER BEYONCE

14 July 2006

Eva Simpson & Caroline Hedley

IT'S refreshing to hear of a celebrity who is pleased to be piling on the pounds instead of shedding them.

Beyonce has revealed she is regaining her curves after losing almost two stone for her role in the movie musical Dreamgirls.

Clearly delighted as she arrived at the MTV studios in New York, she said: "I've put on 12 pounds." Good for her...

It IS refreshing, although 12 pounds is hardly "piling." More like a negligible fluctuation. But it's nice to read of Beyonce's positive attitiude towards it, and nicer still to have someone in the usually-hostile entertainment press file a positive report about it. This is the tone that the media should always adopt, when discussing stars who become curvier.

Now, for the flip side of the coin, here's an item involving Kim Cattrall. This one is a vintage mixed message, but it's worth posting because it shows the warped thinking that prevails in the alternative-reality Hollywood bubble:

http://www.teenhollywood.com/d.asp?r=127667&c=1055

Cattrall Laments Loss Of 'Voluptuous Women'

Jul 14, 2006 - World Entertainment News Network

Former Sex And The City star Kim Cattrall has blasted the Hollywood obsession for waif-like women.

The sexy actress is stunned at how tiny some of today's stars are, such as Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan and Kate Bosworth, who have all the headlines due to their skinny frames.

She says, "Marilyn Monroe was the last of the voluptuous women."

"If you saw a woman like that now they'd say: 'Oh my God, she's so f**!' That's a shame."

What a load of rubbish. It's only the tiny group of like-minded media power-brokers who would ever use that slur about her. In fact, when people see Marilyn today, what they really they say is, "Oh my God, she's so beautiful!"

And what Cattrall doesn't realize (because she's trapped inside that Hollywood cocoon) is that whenever people see HER, or those stick-thin starlets to which she refers, they say, "Oh my God, she's so emaciated!"

It's the waifs who generate the "Ewww" reaction, while Marilyn - and women MUCH curvier than she - are still considered gorgeous in the real world.

Kaitlynn
17th July 2006, 15:11
Here's another transparent attempt at publicity by an actress, but one that, like the others, is probably worth posting, if only because it's SO hard to find size-positive text. Like the Beyonce piece, it comes from The Mirror (a newspaper that I always remember because it once put Charlotte Coyle on its cover, and even ran a feature about her). I almost suspect that someone at the newspaper is a secret ally of size celebration.

The full story is here,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sexandhealth/slimmingandhealth/tm_objectid=17395732&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=amy-nuttall--i-d-rather-look-like-charlotte-than-posh--name_page.html

but it has a slew of mixed messages, so I'll quote the positive excerpts:

Amy Nuttall has put on half a stone since she left Emmerdale a year ago. Her legs are chunkier, her hips are curvier and her face is fuller.

Amy is happier now that she no longer looks like, as she puts it, "a skinny size six lollipop head with matchstick legs".

The actress, who is starring as Eliza Doolittle in the UK touring production of My Fair Lady, says a combination of feeling more relaxed and no longer having time to go to the gym three times a week led to the weight gain.

And she couldn't be more delighted. "I used to be a small size 6," she explains. "And I didn't like it. Your head looks bigger than your body at that size, so I looked like a lollipop...

"I prefer my body now, I prefer the curvy look to the skinny look. When I was a size 6 I had matchstick legs, they were so skinny they looked like Victoria Beckham's.

"Everywhere has got bigger. It's more of a womanly look. I prefer Charlotte Church's figure to Victoria Beckham or Paris Hilton's. I think Charlotte looks great."

vargas
18th July 2006, 23:32
It is so nice to see women in the entertainment field affirming curvier figures as a marker of true feminine beauty, and even being honest about actually preferring to look fuller, healthier and prettier.

MelanieW
19th July 2006, 04:16
There really IS quite a trend of stars making these statements recently! One more unlikely individual who spoke up is Paris Hilton, and she had some terrific comments to make, as reported here:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_27267120.shtml

and here are the good parts:

[Jeannette]" Walls writes that Paris Hilton has slammed the too-skinny stars of Hollywood and some fans think that the comment is a thinly veiled jab at her ex-best friend.

A lot of women are too thin. But I like food too much, the not-exactly-zaftig heiress said while promoting her new album. I think the ones who are getting really skinny look gross."

Say what you will about Paris, but when she's right on the money - as she is here - you have to admit it.

She IS right - and what a bonus to have this entertainment reporter agreeing with her comments, and acknowleding that Paris IS "right on the money". Im glad that Paris didnt pull any punches, and told it like it is - because the skeletal starts really DO "look gross".

And while the "I like food too much" comment is wonderful (remember her burger commercial?), her statements would obviously be even more meaningful if she liked food a little more - she she herself was curvier. But still, its a nice sentiment, and infinitely better than having fuller-figured stars selling out to diet companies. (Ugh.)