View Single Post
Old 13th December 2006   #2
Chad

Default Re: ''Thin is not in on runways'' (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
"One of the questions the industry must address is the influence it has over women and body image...being pounded over the head with the belief that thin, thin, thin is beautiful can chip away at the fragile self-esteem of a young girl--and the confidence and spirit of smart and accomplished women. Any industry that threatens the mental and physical health of its employees and customers needs to engage in thorough self-examination."

This is exactly the point. Excellent article. Hopefully, it will make people realize just how absurd the fashion industry's "defence" is - to say nothing of the apologists for the industry.

Just think about what kind of so-called "freedom" is being defended here:
Fact: Underweight models are ruining the body image of women worldwide.
Designer: "But I just wanna use them, cause I like the way clothes look on skinny frames."

Fact: Underweight models causing and exacerbating eating disorders such as anorexia.
Designer: "But I just wanna use them, cause I like the way clothes look on skinny frames."

Fact: Underweight models are themselves dying as a result of trying to starve into these inhuman stardards.

Fact: Fuller-figured models are just as effective at selling clothing as underweight models.

So society as a whole has to "tolerate" pointless misery, and suffering, and death, just because of the whims of a few fashion designers? Ridiculous.

That's the sum total of their infantile defence, when all spin is stripped away: "I just wanna."

Like cruel, irresponsible children, they just want when they want, and don't care about the consequences to anyone else, don't care about the well being of their models or their customers. This is an almost sociopathic level of self-absorption.

And also like unruly children, until someone teaches them responsibility, they will continue to inflict misery.

In what other circumstances would this kind of a "defence" not be exposed for the nonsense it is? Would a contracter be able to say "I just wanna use asbestos, cause I prefer it; who cares if it causes cancer"? Would a dentist be able to say "I just wanna use lead fillings, cause I find them easier, who cares if they cause lead poisoning"? Of course not.

Nor should designers be allowed to capriciously poison the culture as a whole, and ruin women's lives, just because they happen to have a twisted fetish for skin and bones, and weird personal fear of womanly figures. This is a matter of basic human responsibilty.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote