View Single Post
Old 17th July 2009   #2
M. Lopez

Default Re: ''Say No to Size Zero'' (campaign)

Here's the direct link to the petition page:

http://www.katiegreenofficial.com/petition.html

It sounds like an excellent item to sign:

Quote:
‘Say No To Size Zero’ Petition

This is a petition to ban all size zero models and models with an unhealthy BMI (below 18.5) from the fashion catwalks.

I want to put a stop to the fashion industry using size zero models or models with an unhealthy BMI (under 18.5) on the catwalk, in major advertising campaigns and in fashion in general. Having been told to lose weight myself, I feel that I have a duty to fight for the curvier woman. Fashion designers and clothing brands target young impressionable teenage girls and make them feel uncomfortable about their weight and this can often lead to eating disorders.

This petition is going to be presented to the Prime Minister and Parliament with the help of Liberal Democrat MP Lembit Opik, to try and have a policy put in place, ensuring that all models are fully health checked before undertaking any modelling assignment, including catwalk modelling. I will also be presenting this petition to various high street stores in the hope of them using 'plus size' models in their advertising and curvier mannequins in their window displays.
I especially like the final statement, about encouraging high-street stores to use plus-size models. That is the equally important corollary to banning size-zero models.

It's not enough for size 0s to be replaced by size 2s or 4s. Only when genuinely, visibly full-figured models appear widely in magazines and in commercial campaigns will the industry stop damaging the body image of young women, and begin fostering healthy self-esteem.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote