View Single Post
Old 29th December 2009   #7
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Vampires: A Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika
Despite the shoddiness of the books, the values displayed in them are quite encouraging, and the presentation of Edward's old-fashioned nature as something desirable is a huge step forward.

This is undoubtedly a good thing. Anything that enables girls to realise that they don't have to be 'tough' or 'manly' in order to be worth anything in life is definitely a positive. It's remarkable (and often scary) how many girls feel they must be 'one of the boys' in order to succeed, make friends, fit in or be 'cool', and force themselves into a false character or personality that is ultimately unfulfiling and does more harm than good.

I absolutely agree. I came across an article today that suggests that maybe, just maybe, the old-fashioned values in the books are actually making an impact on their readers:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle...ex-1990726.html

The pertinent point:

Quote:
Parents can breathe a sigh of relief -- teenage sex is out, chastity is in and it's all thanks to a good looking vampire. According to Robert Pattinson, star of the hit Twilight films, the sexiest thing that today's teens can do is not have sex.

Pattinson, who plays 'good' vampire Edward Cullen in the screen adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's bestselling Twilight books, says: "Twilight is a big metaphor for sexual abstinence...

With no premarital sex and little more than a chaste kiss shared in the first three books, Bella and Edward's relationship revolves around attraction, respect and protection -- a romantic ideal that has sent teenage girls, and boys, wild.

I love the fact that people are speaking of a "romantic ideal" involving "respect and protection" (protection- a forbidden, timeless, chivalric notion) in such a positive way.

Could these books be teaching morality to a generation that has grown up in an immoral culture, and often with amoral role models?

Quote:
New research carried out in the States revealed that young fans, aka Twi-hards, agreed with Pattinson's appraisal that chastity can be cool.

Melissa Click who worked on the new book Bitten By Twilight: Youth Culture, Media And The Vampire Franchise, says: "What really surprised us was the obvious abstinence message in the books and that teens were responding favourably to this message."

Dawn Eden, author of The Thrill Of The Chaste, believes chastity could be the new sexual revolution. She says: "Teenagers are more open to waiting because they want to show their individuality, to rebel, and the most counter-cultural thing they can do these days is to save sex for marriage."

I especially like that last point, which is an idea that has been raised on the forum before- that to be ever-more-shockingly modern is no longer any kind of rebellion. It's typical, modern, media-prescribed behaviour. But to believe in old-fashion ideals, like femininity, full-figured beauty, chastity, honour- that is a rebellious stance. That is the hallmark of an independent spirit.

Are we seeing the first stirrings of an aesthetic restoration, and a restoration of traditional values in general? It's too much to hope for- but I hope for it, all the same.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote