View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010   #2
Meredith

Default Re: Kelsey interview, part II

Although part 1 told an interesting story, I love this page of the interview even more. It's much deeper and meatier. Not only does it tell us much more about Kelsey (whom I love even more after learning about her personality), but the discussion in the second section, about body image and beauty, was really thought-provoking.

The anecdote about the woman who felt better about herself after seeing Kelsey's measurements posted online was inspiring:

Quote:
“His wife had the same measurements as me. She was always super self-conscious. And he wrote to me and he wanted to say ‘Thank you’ because she saw that we had the exact same measurements, and that I was being successful with my body. So he wanted to thank me for sticking true to being a plus-size woman. And that, right there, that helped me. I felt like, ‘Wow, that’s really moving.’ Things like that really make me feel better about stuff that I have issues with.”

I agree with Kelsey -- it IS a very moving story. This woman probably took her measurements, saw herself in the mirror, and felt bad about herself. But then she saw Kelsey, and saw what those measurements actually meant -- what kind of amazing beauty they could translate into -- and felt better about herself. It's a marvellous real-life example of the kind of good that true plus-size models who are gorgeous can do for women's body image.

But I immediately recognized which of Kelsey's opinions the interviewer loved most, when she said:

Quote:
“Physical beauty, it’s nice to look at, but when something is truly beautiful…” she broke off, then offered an answer of the deepest significance. “I think that word should be used only when it’s necessary, because when something is beautiful, it’s almost an emotional thing. It really is. It kind of overtakes you. Beauty is something that almost can’t be described. That’s why they give it that name.”

That IS very eloquent. It reminds me of how some philosophers have asserted that music -- the music of Beethoven or Mozart or Wagner -- is the closest that human beings can ever get to expressing what pure beauty (beauty-in-itself) is, rather than merely a description of beauty, which is the best that any words can achieve.

By its very nature, Kelsey is saying, beauty is beyond human expression. That puts her right in line with Romantic philosophy.

But I would say that in the loveliest of all visual images (including Kelsey's own), beauty-in-itself, the essence of beauty, can be expressed as well.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote