View Single Post
Old 27th May 2010   #4
Chad

Default Kelsey on photography

Something that I've found extremely interesting in both parts of the interview have been Kelsey's comments about photography. She's obviously very interested in the craft and appreciates it from an artistic standpoint.

Much as I love painting and sculpture, I have to agree with what she said about photographs being more immediate than paintings, and therefore more important in promoting body love for today's viewers:

Quote:
“When you look at a painting, many people feel, ‘Oh, it was made up,’ [...] Many people don’t really think of it like a photograph. So I think a photograph is just a modern way of showing women that, yeah, plus-size roundness to the body, it exists. And it’s not this fairy-tale thing. It’s actually there.”

That's why Rubens is no longer enough - size-celebration needs living goddesses like Kelsey as well.

Yet Miss Olson also clearly states her own love of painting and traditional art. That's really impressive, that she is able to separate her own feelings from an understanding of what will communicate best with a modern audience:

Quote:
“But when I look at those paintings, I find them amazing. You just pick up any history book and you read about the Roman and the Greek women, and they were full-figured. If you were thinner, you were lower in the chain.”

Even when she praises photography, she looks upon it the way an Old Master might have thought of one of his canvasses, as something that immortalizes a moment in time and transmits it to future generations:

Quote:
“A very, very beautiful photograph is something that you can look at later, and it says something about the time, or about what’s going on. Those are things that should be preserved. That’s why I like doing what I do.”
Very well put.

I admire how Kelsey can bring a timeless sensibility to a modern subject, timeless principles to a modern medium - a sense of permanence and legacy in the face of the disposable culture we live in.

I've always adored her for her beauty, but now I respect her for her amazing insights as well.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote