View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010   #8
M. Lopez

Default Re: Kelsey interview, part II

I found many of Kelsey's statements in this part of the interview to be very perceptive. They challenged a number of my most cherished beliefs.

She's the first model I've heard who, while she believes in the power of plus-size modelling to effect social change, is also realistic about its chances:

Quote:
ďI think itís going to take a long time. I just think that until TV and all popular media [change], itís not going to do anything,Ē

That's an admirably farsighted attitude, and sadly very true. It isn't enough to only have plus-size models. You also need plus-size ingenue actresses, plus-size pop stars, plus-size dancers, etc. Every aspect of culture needs to rediscover Classical beauty for the timeless ideal to be restored.

Also, I am very much in agreement with her stand against faux-plus models. For me, this is probably the most important issue in this section of the interview:

Quote:
ďI just worked with someone recently, and Iím a full 16/18, just depending. But I looked at her, and I thought, ĎAre youÖ?í But I didnít want to offend her by asking her, ĎAre you a plus-size?í I really didnít know if she was. And she was wearing plus-size clothing, so it was, like, ĎWhat is this doing? You donít fit into that.íĒ

ďAnd how tragic for the women who are seeing this and thinking, ĎThatís plus-size? What am I, if thatís plus-size?íĒ I observed.

ďExactly. Iím not that. Iíve never been that. And I wonít be that. Thatís what youíre booking, and thatís whatís being projected out there? Iím sorry, no. Thatís not what it is,Ē she declared, meaning plus-size.

I applaud Kelsey for recognizing how alienating it is to full-figured women to see themselves represented by size 8/10 models, who are nowhere near plus. And I am even more impressed with Kelsey for being a legitimately plus-size model herself, for sticking true to herself in an industry where the pressure to starve seems to be nearly as bad as it is in the straight-size industry (which is appalling).

I also find it incredibly altruistic and unselfish of her to defend the use of "real women" in fashion. Such a stand is not likely to benefit her personal career, since those "real women" campaigns exclude any girls who are as young and beautiful as she is. But she nevertheless stands up for the approach. That too shows how principled she is.

And incidentally, if those "real woman" campaigns stopped discriminating against beautiful models, and began using someone like Kelsey - who is no less "real" than any ordinary woman, simply more attractive - then they would make an even greater impact, and change more minds.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote