View Single Post
Old 9th December 2005   #5
M. Lopez

Default Re: "A desire for the comfort of fullness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG
Women speak of "comfort foods"--and why should this phrase be burdened with any negative connotations? Why shouldn't this notion instead be an entirely positive one?

I came across an interesting article that ties in with this notion:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca...L-PRINT,00.html

The author is writing about the attempts by some member of her family to change the menu of their Thanksgiving celebrations, and about how she resists this. I think it applies even more directly to the forthcoming Christmas holidays, and the family gatherings that we all enjoy at that time.

It's a warm-hearted article, and it contains the following statement, which I thought was especially encouraging:

"So this plan to tamper with the Thanksgiving Day menu -- what larger message are my dad and sister trying to send? Does a revised menu speak to their simmering discontent and a hunger for changes that have nothing to do with cholesterol levels?

I don't know what they're trying to say, but I don't want to hear it. Today, I plan to bring sweet potato casserole and macaroni and cheese -- the baked kind, with eggs and milk and full-fat cheese.

By doing so, I'm saying that I like the sameness Thanksgiving brings. The location may change, the guests around the table may change, but eating the same comfort foods serves up the comfort and closeness and security our family enjoys together only once or twice a year."
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote