View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2011   #4
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Curves more attractive, men say (article)

The wording is a bit inelegant in places, but I found this article by a male journalist writing from Korea to be quite interesting. Apparently, his wife, who is curvy, has faced considerable discrimination for her curves, and her self-esteem has suffered as a result. He writes this column (in an English-language Korean newspaper) to address the issue.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/new.../137_85471.html

Hopefully the article will help curvier women in Korea recognize that men do find them attractive, and may help other men become more vocal about their preference.

Here are the better points:

Quote:
I have never understood the attraction of the angular, bony and emaciated maidens who mince across the pages of fashion magazines worldwide. Whence this feminine ideal?

While it is politically incorrect to argue such things these days, let us be clear: The male and female anatomies are, indeed, different.

Let’s examine the contrasts.

The ideal male aesthetic is tall, lean and angular with toned muscle...The ideal feminine figure was the opposite.

Judging from European art, this ideal of a rounded, curvaceous female has been admired for most of history: it is only in the mid/late 20th century that the emaciated maiden has come into fashion ― which brings us to the unnatural horrors of, well, fashion.

We live in an odd world, one in which the female fashion industry is largely the domain of gay male designers. Given the sexual prerogative, it seems that such haute couturiers ― even though they are designing for females ― are unconsciously projecting their beau ideal of the young male onto the opposite gender.

Today, their favored form ― tall, skinny, angular and curve-free, reminiscent of a gangling teenage fellow rather than a naturally endowed female ― has been adopted worldwide.

While this “tyranny of the thin” may rule globally, it is particularly harsh in the R[epublic] O[f] K[orea]...On the social front, there is enormous pressure to conform to the dictates of fashion. Hence the stress affecting my wife and (no doubt) many, many women like her.

I am arguing for a return to/rethink of the female aesthetic ― one that is designed around the anatomical blueprint of a properly-nourished woman, rather than a starving waif or a teenage male.

The article serves as an important reminder that not only does the underweight standard trigger full-blown eating disorders, but also that in many women its effect, while not that drastic, is still extremely harmful, both physically and psychologically: creating dissatisfaction with their naturally full figures and rendering them miserable.

The writer's call for a return to the timeless, full-figured ideal that was celebrated throughout human history is well worth supporting. I wish more journalists would pen cris de coeur like this.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote