View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011   #3
M. Lopez

Default Re: Interview with Lindsey Garbelman

What I especially loved in the interview were all of the delightful references to food! The discussion echoed the free, liberated spirit of FFFWeek. It's so refreshing to hear a model (or any full-figured woman, for that matter) not reflexively apologizing for loving to eat, or trying to "excuse" or "justify" herself by outlining some kind of torture regimen, but openly celebrating her indulgent love of food.

This section even came with audio, and it was a treat to listen to Lindsey saying these words. You could tell that she must have had a grin on her face when she said them.

Quote:
HSG: Are you a gourmand? Do you enjoy food?

LINDSEY: Do I enjoy food? Oh, my God, I’m a plus-size girl. Of course I enjoy food. I love food. I don’t enjoy food. I love food. I don’t eat to live. I live to eat. I love food. [chuckles]

HSG: [enraptured] This is too good to be true.

LINDSEY: I love good food, and I love every kind of food.

HSG: What are your favorites?

LINDSEY: If I could eat anything for the rest of my life, if I had to pick one thing, it would be bread. I love bread. I would eat bread and cheese. I don’t know why, but I love bread and cheese. I love it.

I also enjoyed how Lindsey related it to her upbringing. She paints a portrait in words of an idyllic family environment:

Quote:
LINDSEY: And the truth is, this is my size. This is what my body is comfortable at. And I love it. I eat. I like food too much.

HSG: You do?

LINDSEY: I love food too much.

HSG: You really do?

LINDSEY: Are you kidding me? I love food. I love food.

HSG: [sighs]

LINDSEY: I love it. What’s not to love? Honestly, I’m a Southern girl. Half of my family’s in Alabama. When I was little, I used to go to Alabama every year for three months at a time. Every morning: pancakes, bacon, grits, biscuits, gravy, eggs. It’s what I’m used to. That’s what I love. My grandmother—God rest her soul. She passed away—but she made the best… I told you I like bread. I love carbs. I don’t eat them all the time, but I love carbs.

HSG: It’s the source of your beauty.

LINDSEY: She made—and my sister now makes—the best dressing in the world. I mean, it is just… It’s corn bread. It’s made of corn bread. Best dressing in the world. Oh, my God. And macaroni and cheese, homemade macaroni and cheese. I love food. How can you not love food?

And when asked how why she loves being a plus-size model, she adds:

Quote:
LINDSEY: I get to enjoy food. I get to enjoy carbs. And I love my sweets. I love ice cream.

But for my money, the most interesting point that the interview raised when it came to food was the contrast between how miserable minus-size models are, because they subject themselves to constant diet-starvation and exercise-torture, versus how relaxed and happy plus-size models are, because they can eat whatever they like:

Quote:
LINDSEY: On Wednesday night, one of these girls… I was talking about straight-size models. We’ll go to castings with straight-size models, or we work with straight-size models. And she said, “Yeah this one straight-size model, she was in such a bad mood whenever I went with her to a casting,” and she was telling me that she was probably just hungry. She said, “I get crabby when I’m hungry too.” I said, “Oh, my God, that’s genius. Next time I see a straight-size model and she’s a bitch to me, I’m going to look at her and say, ‘Girl I get crabby when I’m hungry too.’” I thought, “That is genius, because it’s true.”

HSG: It is true!

LINDSEY: We get to eat. They get mad about it. They’re eating a couple of almonds, and we’ve got bagels and cookies and everything. [laughs] We’re just shoving them in our mouths, and they’re eating celery.

I hope that the coming generation of curvy girls who are fans of plus-size models read Lindsey's comments and take them to heart, and reject the media's starvation propaganda, and learn to be comfortable with themselves and who they are.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote