View Single Post
Old 28th December 2005   #2
Emily

Default Re: Dieting alters brain chemistry (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
"Eating disorder sufferers typically are overachievers who put forth a false self...They've lost perspective and are driven by unreasonable thoughts."[/I]

This is another important point that the article makes, and it fits in with some of the discussions that have appeared on this forum recently. I suspect there is a close tie between self-inducted starvation and over-exercise, and the androgynous "work ethic" that has been imposed on women in the past several decades. It especially affects women who are "driven to succeed," and who end up living that stressed-out lifestyle. And of course, these same women then end up criticizing anyone who doesn't share their values, either in terms of personal aesthetics, or life choices.

I have no doubt that most female magazine editors/writers and media power-brokers fall into this category -- and thanks to their profession, they seek (either deliberately, or without reflection) to impose their standards on the rest of society, to the detriment of everyone.

Sadly, it also determines which models they book -- that is, those who physically embody their anti-feminine mantra.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote