View Single Post
Old 24th October 2011   #2
Shelley

Default Re: Curves aid fertility; thinness an impediment

In perusing the above story, I came upon a vital follow-up article at the Daily Mail published just a day after the previous piece. It's by Liz Jones, who has written excellent articles condemning the fashion industry for its pro-anorexia criminality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...MI-targets.html

In it, the author observes that

Quote:
there is this big myth that being thin doesn't compromise your life in any way
and shows how being thin does, in fact, compromise your life in devastating ways -- your life, and any life that you might bring into this world, if you even can.

She reaffirms the point about self-imposed starvation causing barrenness:

Quote:
Why is it so difficult for underweight women to conceive? When you starve your body, it shuts down all but essential services. Hormone production is one of the first to go. Your body believes you are under assault and that times are hard (for the eating-disorder sufferer both assumptions are correct) and so it doesn't believe bringing another mouth into the world is very wise. Without enough f**, women stop producing oestrogen, which in turn ripens and releases eggs.

The article then turns heartbreaking in that the author tells her own story. She describes how anorexia deprived her of motherhood:

Quote:
These eggs are not viable, of course, merely sort of in aspic, a relic of the life I could have had, if only I'd eaten.

"If only I'd eaten." It would be tragic enough in the case of a woman who had been starved due to poverty. But the idea that women in the West do this to themselves, voluntarily, is maddening and pitiable.

However, in a moment of amazing honesty that all diet-obsessed women should take to heart, the author admits that had she given birth while being in this thin-obsessed state, the consequences for her daughter would have been terrible:

Quote:
If I'd had a child, it is more than likely I would have passed on to her my issues with food and body image.

All too many young girls suffer exactly this fate.

The final passage of the article is an anecdote that is heart-rending, but must be read in full:

Quote:
I was in a hotel on Friday morning having breakfast. A couple of tables away, a gay couple were sat with their daughter, who was about five or six. She was wearing a tracksuit and she was, it has to be said, a little on the chubby side.

She kept getting up and browsing the elaborate, sumptuous buffet (it was the Four Seasons, after all). She came back nursing a tall glass of orange juice. 'Do you know how many calories are in that juice?' asked one of the men. 'Didn't we talk about diluting?'

And I saw her future mapped out for her. Never again will food just be something enjoyable; it will come with a figure: the number of calories, as well as her own. Which should shrink at all costs. Food will occupy her thoughts as she goes to sleep and when she wakes up. She will know, in fine detail, what she ate yesterday. She will plan what she will eat tomorrow.

Most often, she will fail to hit her target. But if she is the steely, self-disciplined type, she might succeed, and so have a lifetime of denial to look forward to. And loneliness. Until she shrivels like a prune, desiccated and defeated.

Forget the Government's BMI targets. Forget too Jamie Oliver's bid to get kids eating more healthily. Kids need calories. Don't make food an issue. Make it an irrelevance. And if you can't, then don't make kids.

I almost cried when I read about this poor young girl, whose "chubbiness" is undoubtedly natural and normal. Not only is she deprived of the food that she obviously craves (clearly she's already being starved by her "parents"), but she is even being stigmatized for drinking orange juice. And the fact that she is being brought up by two men with a hardwired antipathy to the female form lends the situation a particular horror, because we all know how such men treat the adolescent fashion models whom they employ -- forcing these young girls to starve away any trace of femininity. The prospect of having this pair subjecting this young girl, ostensibly their daughter, to such starvation, even when she is merely a child, is grotesque.

Every single thing about that picture is wrong. The circumstance that Liz Jones describes should never exist, and no young girl should ever be in such an unnatural, corrosive situation.
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote