View Single Post
Old 8th October 2013   #3
Meredith

Default Re: Model dies of anorexia - at 19

Here's a truly horrifying article about one model's near-death battle with anorexia, which, she points out, is not only mainstreamed but practically mandated in the fashion industry.

http://www.stylelist.com/read/forme...26pLid%3D386929

It sounds more like life in a concentration camp than a career:

Quote:
Former teen model Georgina Wilkin was scouted in 2006 and started modeling at age 15. Throughout her career, she became so thin from lack of eating that her organs began to fail, but designers were still lining up to book her. So for the next 7 years, she would battle with anorexia.

After just a year of working, she became too ill to continue, and was immediately admitted into the hospital for anorexia. "In hospital the doctors made no secret of the fact that my life was in danger. My vital organs were under such strain that there was a risk my heart could stop or my kidneys pack up," she said. What upsets her most now is that she still sees women in huge campaigns that show the same signs of anorexia that she did: blue lips and fingers that needed to be covered with concealer because her heart was barely pumping to send blood around her body.

So much for the "glamorous" world of minus-size modelling. These girls are living near death.

There's more about the misery of her life in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...booked-her.html

She says:

Quote:
'I feel very lucky to have survived but it makes me really angry to see images of models who I know are seriously unwell due to eating disorders.

'Most high fashion brands have used anorexic girls in their campaigns and the only way this will stop is if we stop buying their products.'

But that's simply unrealistic.

The only way these criminal abuses --for that's what they are -- of young girls, and near-fatal workplace conditions will stop is with government legislation that puts an end to them and mandates the use of plus-size models (i.e., the only models who are not anorexic) in all campaigns, and bans the use of underweight girls.

Anything less, and these abuses will continue forever, at the cost of countless women's health and lives -- not only of the models themselves, but of the girls who inevitably emulate them, brainwashed as they are by their skeletal appearance into thinking that a cadaverous look is what they should be killing themselves to achieve.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote