View Single Post
Old 4th November 2009   #6
Sarah

Default Re: A teen perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina
It's always made me uncomfortable, until I was watching a Bollywood movie one day. (My friends and I are obsessed!) Even though the main character's body was softer and thicker than what you usually see in American movies, all the guys couldn't stop staring at her

Crystal is right; there are many examples of plus size celebration in Indian cinema. And, just as Crystal in Kristina's post mentioned, full-figured actresses are often portrayed in movies as supremely desirable---as the girl every guy wants.

If only Hollywood would try following Bollywood in this respect! Imagine if lovely, genuinely full-figured actresses were filmed in the same manner as the underweight starlets that are so overexposed today---if plus size actresses like Christina Schmidt were cast in major roles in feature films and were portrayed as attractive and desirable without any hint of irony or any backstory in which the heroine is teased for her weight. Just look at the positive viewer response to the appearance of Kate Winslet in Titanic, or of Renée Zellweger in Bridget Jones's Diary, both of whom were still quite thin, but were noticeably fuller-figured in those films than the majority of Hollywood actresses. Why doesn't Hollywood take the hint?
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote