The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2005   #1
Kaitlynn

Default Barbara Brickner at CJBanks

For all the Barbara Brickner fans (which must include everyone who has ever seen her work), I just discovered some breathtaking new images at CJBanks, which is a U.S. plus-size retailer:

Unfortunately, it's a very bare-bones site, and these are the only two images that I could find. But Barbara looks amazing! I love that hairstyle on her. I have never seen her hair in angelic curls like that, and I think the style really, really suits her. She always looks enchanting when she experiments with different hairstyles.

I wonder if CJBanks publishes promo flyers?

http://www.cjbanks.com
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005   #2
Micki

Default Re: Barbara Brickner at CJBanks

Barbara looks beautiful with curly hair, as do many full-figured women. The soft, curvy line of wavy/curly hair compliments the curves of a woman's body and gives her a more feminine look.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005   #3
HSG
Administrator

Default ''Home is yet wherever she is''

The new home page of the C.J.Banks site features an image of Barbara that is so gorgeous, that its effect can scarcely be described in words. We have seen Mrs. Brickner sporting dozens of different looks, but this may be the most enchanting hairstyle she has ever exhibited. The way in which her curls cascade softly over her shoulders is almost hypnotic. Add to that the warm, cozy ambience, and the feeling of hearth and home that the setting conjures, and the image soothes even the most aggrieved heart.

This image, and the cover page as a whole, puts one in mind of a passage from John Ruskin's famous essay, "Of Queens' Gardens," in his book titled Sesame and Lilies (1865). Ruskin's essay presents an ideal, Romantic vision of the union between a man and a woman, and describes how they can create for themselves a place apart, a refuge from the trials and tribulations of everyday life. Ruskin writes,

This is the true nature of home--it is the place of Peace; the shelter, not only from all injury, but from all terror, doubt, and division. In so far as it is not this, it is not home; so far as the anxieties of the outer life penetrate into it, and the inconsistently-minded, unknown, unloved, or hostile society of the outer world is allowed by either husband or wife to cross the threshold, it ceases to be home; it is then only a part of that outer world which you have roofed over, and lighted fire in. But so far as it is a sacred place, a vestal temple, a temple of the hearth watched over by Household Gods, before whose faces none may come but those whom they can receive with love,--so far as it is this, and roof and fire are types only of a nobler shade and light,--shade as of the rock in a weary land, and light as of the Pharos in the stormy sea;--so far it vindicates the name, and fulfils the praise, of Home.

And wherever a true wife comes, this home is always round her. The stars only may be over her head; the glowworm in the night-cold grass may be the only fire at her foot; but home is yet wherever she is; and for a noble woman it stretches far round her, better than ceiled with cedar, or painted with vermilion, shedding its quiet light far, for those who else were homeless.

Barbara's beauty makes one believe that such an ideal is genuinely possible--even in the modern world.

Last edited by HSG : 22nd November 2005 at 14:45.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005   #4
Emily

Default Re: Barbara Brickner at CJBanks

I was so intrigued by that quotation, that I decided to read the Sesame and Lilies essay "Of Queen's Gardens" myself. I think Ruskin lays out the most positive discussion of gender relations I've ever read. Unlike so many modern texts, which set women against men, wives against husbands, Ruskin's almost lyrical work puts forth an ideal of harmonious, complimentary relationships that is simultaneously idealistic and persuasive. I highly recommend it, both as a practical text, and for the sheer beauty of the language.

By the way, CJBanks is doing a wonderful job with its plus promotions. I signed up for their mailing list, and have received two e-mail promotions this month, both feating warm, "home and hearth" images of Barbara.

http://www.cjbanks.com/email/web/dec2005a/dec2005a.html

http://www.cjbanks.com/email/web/dec2005b/dec2005b.html

The first is a larger version of that magical home-page image, and the second is one that I hadn't seen before. Both lovely.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote