The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th July 2009   #1
Hannah

Default ''Say No to Size Zero'' (campaign)

This is interesting. A model in the UK named Katie Green has not started a "Say No to Size Zero" campaign.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...o-campaign.html

As the article has it:

Quote:
Curvy Katie - who was once told to lose two stone [28 lbs] by a modelling agency - blames the fashion world for the rising number of young girls with eating disorders.

[T]here has been a 47 per cent increase of anorexia...in girls under 18 during the last three years.

In a recent survey, 75 per cent of teens said they felt they needed to lose weight after seeing snaps of skinny stars like Kate Moss.

Launching her 'Say No to Size Zero' campaign, Katie told The Sun: "After reading those shocking statistics, I knew I needed to do something.

"Eating disorders are a serious mental illness that affect 1.1 million people in the UK.

"This has been a passion of mine for a long time, especially after receiving emails from young girls who were suffering...

"We're doing a petition and if we get 20,000 people to sign, it will go forward to the Prime Minister. People can sign up on my website at www.katiegreenofficial.com.

"So with the support of the public, we can finally do something to end this vicious circle that has been going on for far too long.

"If I can save one person from an eating disorder then I have succeeded."

The brunette babe, 21, added: "I have no idea who finds these stick thin models attractive anyway. Every man I've spoken to love curves.

"Put it this way - I've never had any complaints!"

[One MP] said: "If Katie is regarded as two stone too heavy, then the world's gone totally mad.

"If the fashion industry is organised to celebrate the 'dangerously thin' look, it's no wonder thousands of people die from eating disorders in the UK every year."

The article comes with a picture:

It's definitely a commendable endeavour. I just wish that the model who was promoting it was fuller-figured herself. If only a plus-size model would start such a petition!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote