The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th December 2009   #1
Emily

Default Prada incapable of clothing non-models (article)

Here's another textbook example of (a) what talentless hacks the so-called "great designers" who promote anorexia really are, and (b) how slavishly everyone seems to follow their absurd diktats.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009...to_dress_o.html

The issue:

Quote:
Miuccia Prada is in town to work on costumes for the Met's upcoming production of Giuseppe Verdi's Attila. Paper reports that when Prada met the extras cast to play supernumeraries (non-singing parts), she looked at them and said, "I cannot clothe them! I need models!"

Now, any sane opera company would, at this point, have told Prada to get lost. She was hired to do a job, and if she lacks the rudimentary skills to do it, they should have fired her and gotten a real designer, one who could fulfill the brief.

But no. Instead of telling Prada where to take her arrogant (and obviously incompetent) self, they caved to her:

Quote:
But what's important about this situation, if extras are in fact being recast at Prada's behest, is the precedent it sets, which is that the clothes — or at least Prada's clothes — are more important than the people wearing the clothes.

It would be ridiculous if it weren't so chilling. Suddenly, one designer's clothes are more important than the music, the production, everything? What, opera is now just a fashion show for the little cabal who follow Vogue?

And of course, Prada's own words damn her. "I cannot clothe them. I need models." Bingo. So it's either one of two things: (1) Her basic skill set is so feeble that she can't design garments for any women who look even remotely like women (making her more incompetent than even an amateur seamstress); or (2) she is so size-bigoted, so weight prejudiced, that she would rather lose a job than actually see one of her "creations" on a remotely shapely body. It's probably both, in fact.

Boos and hisses to the Met for this. Honestly, everyone should boycott that production of Verdi - and tell the Met why they're doing so.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote