The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2010   #1
Hannah

Default Voluptuous Clothing (article)

A while back, I remember reading a great interview with Angela Samuels, the co-owner of the Voluptuous Clothing chain in Canada. It was a pretty empowering interview, and reflected a size-positive mindset.

Today, the Toronto Star published a new article about the company, which gives some idea of where it currently stands (although I have to say that I still find the Judgment of Paris interview to be livelier and more interesting):

http://www.thestar.com/living/fashi...toronto-sisters

I like the Samuels sisters' approach to plus-size fashion. As the article says:

Quote:
What sets the four Voluptuous stores apart from other purveyors of plus-size apparel is their unabashed, enthusiastic embrace of fast fashion trends cut for the curvy girl.

The Samuels sisters are trying to dispel the notion that plus-size girls can’t or shouldn’t wear trends.

"We want girls in high school to look like their peers. We want women just entering the workforce to look like their co-workers. We want women who want to go to clubs to look like the other girls at the clubs.

“I always felt that being plus-size, you’re going to stand out anyway. So if you’re going to be seen, I want you to be seen in a nice light.”

The Voluptuous Clothing site has been updated for summer, and features a video of its latest photoshoot. I like the fact that the company uses genuinely full-figured models, but I wish that Voluptuous would feature some Judgment of Paris favourites, someday:

http://www.voluptuousclothing.com/
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote