Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2012: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd March 2012   #1
M. Lopez

Default ''Where are the plus-size models?''

The title of the piece is a bit spicier than what I quote in the subject line of this thread, but nevertheless, the following article at Women24 effectively captures the sense of frustration that many people feel when it comes to the fashion industry and its half-hearted and wholly-broken promises to feature fuller bodies on the catwalk.

http://www.women24.com/FashionAndBe...models-20120301

Despite all of the industry's talk about reforming fashion weeks to curb their toxic, pro-anorexia influence, it's a case of the same curve-o-phobia and thin supremacism.

The pertinent statements:

Quote:
It seems the fashion industry is still stuck in its anti-curves comfort zone.

Over the past few years, there has been plenty of hullaballoo about the lack of fuller-figured models - especially during international fashion weeks. But, surprisingly (or not?), we can literally count on one hand the progress that has been made thus far:
  • In a head-turning move in 2010, Mark Fast held a show where all the models were above size British size 12.
  • That same year, New York Fashion Week hosted its first show which featured only plus-size models (although, compared to the main shows, it was a fringe event which garnered much less attention).
  • In 2011, designers in New York hosted a Full Figured Fashion Week; and
  • Brazil followed suit later that year.
Woo-freakin’-hoo!

Take this year’s fashion season for example. The so-called ‘changes’ have, in my opinion, not been embraced.

I recognise that last month the Council of Fashion Designers of America got serious about not featuring underage, unhealthy models on New York's ramps. But it doesn't look like there's a concerted push to get fuller figured models on the catwalks. With only Paris Fashion Week left, I wouldn't be surprised if this season, we don't see anything other than stereotypical slimline physiques on the ramps.

So far, not one designer amongst the hundreds of main shows has showcased a single item in their collections on even one curvy modell. I'm still looking for an extra kilo on the catwalks.

No, it's not surprising. Indeed, I would have been surprised - pleasantly so - if the industry had changed its ways. But of course, it hasn't, and it won't. Not unless government legislation compels the anti-plus bigots of the fashion industry to stop excluding plus-size models and to feature fuller bodies on the catwalk, instead of promoting anorexia by using cadaverous size-0 skeletons, will the fashion establishment ever be reformed. Until then, it's all just a lot of talk to provide cover for the industry, while it takes no action.

Also, the fact that the writer of the above article is aware of FFFWeek and FWPS means that even more effort must be put into popularizing and supporting these plus-size-specific events. Since the size-negative fashion establishment will never embrace full-figured models, the plus-size industry must create its own events where it fields its own fashions and its own talent. And frankly, it will be much happier doing so.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote