The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2009   #1
Effy

Default Kailee in swimwear (Glamour, May '09)

Kailee is featured in the May issue of Glamour mag in one of those "bathing suits for all body types" pictorials.
Effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Kailee in swimwear (Glamour, May '09)

Exactly two years ago, Glamour magazine caused a sensation in the fashion world by printing the most size-positive image in its history, and the most beautiful tear sheet ever included in any magazine outside Mode or Figure.

That image, of course, featured Kailee O'Sullivan disrobed to reveal her soft, curvy waist.

How fitting, then, that two years later to the month, Glamour would bring Kailee back for another tour de force.

In fact, the May 2009 Glamour is a standout issue, with dual swimwear images by Kailee and Megan Garcia, along with a multi-page swim editorial featuring Crystal Renn.

When was the last time any "maintream" publication had a lineup that impressive?

Of the three, Miss O'Sullivan's images are by far the most beautiful and size-positive (and she is also the loveliest of the three models), so her work deserve pride of place here.

Indeed, Kailee's new Glamour images are scarcely less revolutionary than her 2007 two-piece lingerie photo. Unfortunately, in the magazine they are accompanied by incongruously curve-o-phobic text, but that has been removed in these scans.

First, let's consider her "after" photo. Kailee is right to "feel like a knockout," because she looks like a knockout. She exhibits gorgeous, womanly hips and soft rosy thighs. Indeed, we have never before seen her legs appear this luscious. Her stance is very graceful.

Click to enlarge

She looks absolutely radiant, beaming with pleasure, a creature of pure delight. Her buxom contours fill out the swimsuit beautifully--and a lovely swimsuit it is, with a decorative detail down the front, sensually thin straps, and delicate ruching that makes it seem as if it can't embrace Kailee's soft figure closely enough.

Click to enlarge

What makes her face so beautiful? Notice that most attractive of all facial features--the curve under the chin, which gives the model a robust, well-fed look. Kailee has obviously been living well--and oh, how it enhances her beauty. Her smile is utterly adorable--one of the prettiest we have ever seen--and her romantic hairstyle adds to her fairy-tale, enchanting appearance.

Click to enlarge

However, Kailee's "before" photo is even more gorgeous and size-positive. This is one of the most daring images of her career, and a bold statement of size-celebration. Her figure looks so soft and curvy here, so sensually natural, so quintessentially feminine, that it stops the heart. This two-piece swimsuit displays the model's buxom beauty in an even more alluring manner than the "after" swimsuit, above. It shapes itself snugly but gently to her figure rather than trying to lift or constrict it.

But above all, it is the swimsuit's provocative display of the model's most sensual figure feature, the soft curve of her waist, that makes it such a dizzying presentation of timeless beauty. No other image, and no other model, has ever showcased the attractions of this physical characteristic as effectively as Kailee does here.

And make no mistake--it is Kailee herself who deserves the credit for the success of this image. Notice her stance--relaxed, yet self-assured. And observe her expression--serenely composed, with a look of invitation in her eyes, as if she is saying to the viewer, "I know exactly how captivating I am, and I know that I have you under my spell." She believes that the soft fullness of her figure is the key to her desirability--and she is absolutely right. Other women may need to torture themselves in gym prisons, but she knows that she can live a guilt-free lifestyle of indulgence and pleasure, and still be the "fairest of them all."

Click to enlarge

No other model could equal such a revolutionary presentation of Classical beauty, but size-18 Megan Garcia makes an impressive attempt. Actually, Megan's Achilles Heel, appearance-wise, has nothing to do with her figure, which is magnificent, but with her hairstyle. We see here the limitations of a shorter hairstyle on a plus-size goddess, for as much as Kailee benefits from her luxurious tresses, Megan is disadvantaged by her abbreviated 'do.

Nevertheless, her figure is truly breathtaking. Her hips are even more womanly than Kailee's, and her thighs more luscious and full. Add to that her sumptuous waist and buxom beauty, and Megan has possibly the most gorgeous figure of any model working today.

Click to enlarge

This time, the image comes with size-positive text, which appears below the scan. Glamour rightly advises opting for spaghetti straps (which are better than any design except for strapless), and a higher leg cut to show off generous hips.

Notice, however, in the "before" shot, the difference between Megan's approach and Kailee's. Megan employs the standard unhappy expression that magazines usually request in such circumstances, and the result is an unsuccessful photo. But Kailee deftly adopts a chic and alluring pose in her "before" photo, thereby turning it into a minor masterpiece.

Click to enlarge

In these Glamour tears, both models show just how alluring swimwear looks on full-figured goddesses. The beauty of Kailee's figure derives from its sensual softness, a natural, untoned physique that is feminine and seductive, while Megan's figure is breathtaking in its luxuriant fullness, in its intoxicating impression of substance and weight.

No emaciated models could look nearly as attractive in swimwear, for their angular, bony frames would be embarrassingly exposed, and their androgynous physiques would have no disguise. Swimwear is made for voluptuous vixens. It gives them the opportunity to show off their curves to the world, to put their underweight rivals to shame, and to enslave the hearts of any men they desire.

Bravo to Glamour for such an effective display of full-figure swimwear. We may add scans from Crystal's editorial in the future, which was beautifully photographed (although Ms. Renn would have made an even more dramatic presentation at a fuller size).

What a shame, however, that Glamour is riddled with died ads, mixed message, and body-shame content. Those regrettable elements prevent it from being a size-celebratory magazine like Mode, or even Figure.

Still, in the absence of any dedicated plus-size publication, we are glad for whatever we can get, and especially pleased that Glamour chose such lovely models for these features.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009   #3
Maureen

"Hello, bombshell," indeed! Megan looks wonderful; I love her brilliant smile. Kailee's images positively shine. Both models' "after" poses recall the Aphrodite Anadyomene ("Aphrodite rising from the sea" or "the birth of Venus") motif depicted so lovingly by so many artists in past centuries. Megan's pose resembles Botticelli's version, while Kailee seems the living image of Bouguereau's 1879 painting. When one notices the blue sea rolling in foamy waves behind each model, the resemblance becomes even more striking.
Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009   #4
Hannah

Kailee's "before" picture in the red two-piece may be the most empowering image I've ever seen. She looks so comfortable with her body, so self-assured. Far too many women are self-conscious about having a curvy waist, but Kailee shows that it isn't a "flaw" but something beautiful; sexy, in fact.

I like the "after" photo too, but I think another reason why the "before" picture is prettier is because they either made Kailee's complexion up or lit her to appear darker-skinned in the "after" picture, but in the "before" photo she looks beautifully fair.

I adore Kailee for not being artificially "toned," but so soft and natural. She has an amazing figure.

I like Megan's gorgeous proportions too - perfect for swimwear - but Kailee has the extra advantage of youth, which is so important.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009   #5
Kaitlynn

It simply amazes me how gorgeous both of these models look in swimwear- far more natural and attractive than the usual bone-thin, emaciated swimsuit models, and more beautiful than faux-plus models as well.

I think Kailee's figure should be the absolute minimum size for what plus-size models should look like, and Megan's size-18 figure should be the industry standard. If swimwear looks so good on their figures, then every other kind of clothing would look ideal as well.

I absolutely adore Kailee's "before" photo. I'd love to see plus-size models create more images like that- soft, sensual, size-celebratory, and beautiful. She has never been prettier.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009   #6
renata

Thank you so much, Effy, for discovering these pictures.

I also found the images on the Glamour site, except here they aren't cropped, and they're both the same size.

I do like the "after" picture because it shows off Kailee's beautiful hips, and she has such a pretty smile. But the "before" photo is my favorite. It's so exciting and empowering. She looks so soft and sensual with her curvy waist, and confident and sexy (busty too). Looking at that photo I feel so much better about myself, knowing that you can be so self-assured about having a natural body. I wish I could get this picture as a full-size poster.

Plus, she does look fairer in the "before" photo, and the color red looks great on her.

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/2009...g-guide#slide=5
renata is offline   Reply With Quote