Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th January 2007   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Diet pills exposed as hoaxes

Undoubtedly, many of you have heard the widely-publicized news that a slew of over-the-counter "diet pills" have been exposed as complete rubbish by the FTC; furthermore, that the makers of these starvation-inducers "duped consumers with unscientific lies"; and finally, that these companies have been forced to pay $25 million in fines, for their false and misleading advertising (i.e., claiming that the products work, when if fact, they don't).

We do not wish to link to any of the articles about this phenomenon, as these reports identify the products by name. Society being what it is, this could function as unintentional "advertising" for some misguided individuals, encouraging them to purchase these products, even though they have been completely debunked as frauds.

However, the choicest quotations from the related news coverage include the following witty statement,

"It is resolution time again, isn't it?" said FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras. "We're implementing our resolution to fight back against companies that use deceptive advertising claims."

as well as this comment, slamming celebrity shilling for diet-pill manufacturers:

"Testimonials from individuals are not a substitute for science," Majoras said. "And that's what Americans need to understand."

The latter point has a relevance outside this specific topic, and is a fine indictment of modern celebrity culture in general.

Forum reader Nikki G. has also directed us to this fascinating article, recording some of the rightly indignant reactions of New Yorkers to this news. "They are all gimmicks," one woman is quoted as saying of the debunked products, and another exlaims, "They [diet pill companies] racked up a lot of money on things that weren't working."

Perhaps the most significant comment, however, is the following, from the same article:

"I can see how women with self-esteem issues can fall prey."

That is exactly the issue. The real problem is not that these starvation pills don't work, or even that their manufacturers have engaged in false advertising. (The weight-loss industry is corrupt and pernicious to its very core--what else could one expect of them?) It's that women have been duped into pursuing figure-diminishment in the first place.

The real quandry is that women have been led to believe that starving themselves, and achieving a scrawny appearance, will somehow make them more attractive--when it fact, it will have the opposite effect.

What sober individual, free of media brainwashing, could possibly think that resembling skeletal, skull-faced Kate Moss could in any way be more attractive that resembling soft, curvaceous, well-fed beauties, such as Barbara Brickner, or Christina Schmidt, or Charlotte Coyle?

When the timeless ideal of full-figured beauty is finally restored, women will be impervious to the lies of diet profiteers, no matter how deceptive their promotions will be, for they will know that their generous physiques are natural works of art.

After all, there is only thing that a goddess can consume to increase her beauty, and that is . . . dessert.

Barbara looking especially luscious in a new image at Nordstorm, in one of the most attractively feminine pieces the company has yet produced:

- Ruffle Silk Blouse (ideal goddess-wear)

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007   #2
M. Lopez

Default Re: Diet pills exposed as hoaxes

It's also sad and frustrating to think that any women would actually spend their money on things like this, or on any method of figure diminishment. What a waste!

I mean, think about it: actually handing over your hard-earned capital for things that will only make you feel miserable, and look worse (even if they worked at all - which they don't).

Paying to suffer. It's madness.

There's a whole world of things for a woman to spend her money on, every one of them a thousand times better than self-punishment strategies. If she wants to look better, she can buy cute fashions, or vibrant cosmetics, or a romantic hairstyle. Those things will make her look and feel better about herself, and she won't have to starve in the process.

Beyond that, there are so many fun things in life to try: dinner at a new restaurant, movies, music, books, jewellery. Life is short. Live it up! Don't waste your time and money torturing yourself. What kind of life is that?

And by the way, I think that top is gorgeous, and Barbara looks breathtaking in it. I love the romantic ruffled look, and I'm delighted to see a new example of it. I hope more styles like this are on the way. They make curvy girls look adorable.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote