The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2007   #1
M. Lopez

Default ''Thin is not in'' (article)

It's always helpful to hear a man's perspective on the topic of women's body image, since male voices (at least, the voices of men who are actually attracted to women in the first place) invariably confound the myth that being emaciated is even remotely appealing.

It's even more beneficial when such voices are heard in the mainstream press. Hopefully, the more often that such opinions are published, the greater the number of women who will finally realize that being thin is not attractive, and that being full-figured is actually far more gorgeous.

This piece comes from a writer for the Glasgow Daily Times. Here's the original link:

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/op..._142132616.html

and here's the relevant text. I hope that many women will take his words to heart.

Quote:
Thin is not in for this writer

By BRAD DICKERSON
Glasgow Daily Times

May 22, 2007

...It was just the other day that I was listening to my Sirius satellite radio when I heard one of the DJs announce that Kelly Clarkson was coming under some pressure to lose a couple of the added pounds she’s allegedly put on.

This, for lack of a better phrase, ticked me off. You see, while not the biggest fan of her music (although “Since You’ve Been Gone” remains rather catchy), I’ve always found Clarkson attractive and, quite frankly, “normal looking.”

Now, she is facing the same pressure that countless others before her in the entertainment industry have dealt with; transforming her body into a shape only Skeletor could appreciate.

Where does this pressure to take the anorexic route come from? Are there actually people out there who desire the skin and bones look? If there are, I’m clearly not one of them.

Wait, I probably should clarify a few things before my phone starts ringing off the hook with death threats. There are plenty who are born with skinny frames ... Still, there are countless more who possess natural “curves” and are being fed this garbage that their appearance is less than ideal.

You know what; to heck with that! Ladies, I realize that many pieces written on this issue come from those of the fairer sex, but I thought I’d throw a man’s perspective in there for a change.

There is nothing wrong with the way you look! Frankly, if you were to go out and poll roughly 50 guys, I bet most of them would agree with me in saying that visible rib cages just ain’t the way they want to go.

I have no explanation as to where this notion of stick figures being “in” comes from. To me, Scarlett Johannson, an admittedly curvy woman, is one of the hottest things out there. The very idea that one day she would cave under pressure and come out looking like Nicole Richie is inconceivable.

Tell me, is there anything attractive about the unfortunate death of model Ana Carolina Reston, who died back in November from an infection connected with anorexia nervosa?

No, there’s not and the very notion that skinny is the ONLY way to be is one that does not need to poison the minds of our youngsters. Instead, they should focus more on their other accomplishments, whether it’s being a straight A student, an exceptional singer, a math prodigy or just an all around likable and decent human being.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #2
Chad

Default Re: ''Thin is not in'' (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
It's always helpful to hear a man's perspective on the topic of women's body image, since male voices (at least, the voices of men who are actually attracted to women in the first place) invariably confound the myth that being emaciated is even remotely appealing.

Fine article. I also wonder how much of this is a generational matter. I suspect that just as girls in the more youthful generations, esp. Gen Y and younger, are becoming more accepting (sometimes even celebratory) of their fuller bodies, so are younger men more openly acknowledging their attraction to more womanly figures.

Let's not forget that today's generation of chaps is growing up with Barbara Brickner, Christina Schmidt, Kelsey, Chloe Agnew, and other breathtakingly gorgeous plus-size starlets. For them, the term "fuller figured" doesn't refer to a matronly Hollywood caricature, as it did in decades past, but to these sexy, well-fed beauties. Plus, being part of a new "Web generation," they've been aware of the existence of these goddesses from their Internet presence.

There was an interesting little bit of celebrity fluff about Tyra Banks the other day, that I offer as evidence.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns... figure_1031732

The terminology is not positive, but the idea behind it very much is:

Quote:
BANKS: 'YOUNGER MEN LOVE MY NEW CURVY FIGURE'

Contactmusic.com
22/05/2007 12:42

Former supermodel TYRA BANKS credits her sudden popularity with younger men to her new curvy figure. The retired catwalk star and talk show host insists she's been inundated with attention from younger men ever since she gained a more voluptuous figure. The 33-year-old star of The Tyra Banks Show explains, "Twenty-three-year-old guys ask me out all the time. Some of them are even celebrities who come on to my show. One guy even went for my muffin top (midsection f**). "I was like, 'You're 10 years younger than me. You need to date Hilary Duff. Don't date me. I have a roll around my middle." However, she insists she is now less popular with men her age, adding, "I make a good living, so men my age get a little intimidated."

Banks may not yet have realized it, but it is those very aspects of her figure, her softer, fuller curves - all of her curves - that have made her more attractive to younger men.

This is an encouraging sign, and a suggestion that timeless beauty will return to cultural prominence as the younger generation gains more sway over the media.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #3
klara

The sad thing is Tyra Banks has lost her weight again and most of the curves are gone. She couldn't handle the pressure from the business I suppose.
klara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #4
Smartlady55

Send a message via MSN to Smartlady55 Send a message via Yahoo to Smartlady55

I just registered today and was fascinated that the first post I read came from a man's perspective. You see, I am having trouble believing that a woman does not have to be a size 6 to be desireable, so imagine my please when I read your post. I have struggled with my full figure all my life, but as I get older and recently divorced, I am having a great deal of trouble learning to accept and love myself just the way I am. Any words of wisdom are always appreciated.
Smartlady55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007   #5
Kaitlynn

Here's a new article that confirms the findings of the original post in this thread.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/lifest...shion-3630.html

It proves again that men prefer plus-size beauty, and significantly, it also shows that women find underweight female figures unappealing.

Here are the pertinent passages:

Quote:
Victoria Voted Least Sexy
12th July 2007 15:48:33

A recent survey has voted Victoria Beckham as having the least desirable body shape with most women prefering the likes of Sophia Loren and Prince Harry's girlfriend, Chelsy Davy.

The poll...found that both men and women prefer curvier bodies.

Unanimously men and women say a resounding no to size zero by voting the curves of Victoria Beckham as the worst. Kate Middleton’s shape wasn’t highly rated either...

The survey also found that skinny minnies aren't as popular as we might think.

1 in 5 women confirmed that they were a curvaceous size 14-16, which will make their men smile as 69% of them preferred a curvy partner to cuddle up to.

“These results simply confirm what we knew all along, that Brits have always loved their curves and the curves of others...

These findings come as 15 underweight models were kicked off Rome catwalks and fashion predictions show that a curvy silhouette is the shape for next season.

Perhaps the age of size zero is finally making way for sexy womanly curves- all you lollipop heads had better get eating some cakes quick.
Advertisers, take note!
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007   #6
HSG
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
It's even more beneficial when such voices are heard in the mainstream press. Hopefully, the more often that such opinions are published, the greater the number of women who will finally realize that being thin is not attractive, and that being full-figured is actually far more gorgeous.

The voicing and dissemination of such opinions is indeed very important. However, in the final analysis, the only thing that can actually change public perceptions of full-figured women is the proliferation of gorgeous plus-size imagery.

The displacement of the timeless ideal of the generously-proportioned female figure by the underweight modern standard has only been possible by the suppression of any and all images showing Classical curves. When the day comes that voluptuous vixens become visible in the mass media, when the public is finally allowed to see the kind of well-fed, womanly beauty that has been hidden from view for the past century, then, and only then, will the populace truly acknowledge, en masse, that "thin is not in," and that the historical ideal of femininity represents a superior aesthetic to modernist androgyny.

Gorgeous Kelsey Olson (size 14/16) showing off a Torrid hair accessory. Note the "slight rise" of the "slope toward the throat," which, together with Kelsey's fair features and flowing golden tresses, constitute the epitome of timeless beauty.

Nothing is as attractive an accessory for feminine goddesses as a flower in the hair. But failing that, an artificial floral adornment, like this pretty hibiscus barrette from Torrid, is the next best thing.

- Click here to view product page

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote