The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2007   #1
M. Lopez

Default ''A return to more feminine dressing''

It's a bit of a fluff piece, really, but this article reports some wonderful fashion news: Dresses are all the rage. Dresses are becoming increasingly popular, outpacing the sales of any other item of women's clothing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/185/story/114626.html

The news couldn't be better for full-figured women. The absurd myth that clothing looks better on underweight women originated largely because fashion became resolutely anti-feminine in the 20th century, and straightjacketed women into men's fashions (suits and slacks) that were never meant to dress womanly figures in the first place.

But dresses look far better on fuller figures with visible curves and contours. The more popular dresses and skirts become, the more society will realize that curvy women have an advantage in showing off beautiful fashions.

Here are a few excerpts from the article:

Quote:
In case you hadn’t noticed, dresses are everywhere right now. Shirtdresses and sundresses, tents and trapezes, babydolls and jumpers, bubbles and wraps: You name it, the silhouette is out there.

If it’s been a while since you wore one, it won’t be long before you remember just how versatile, comfortable and dependable a dress can be...

“We have really seen a return to dresses,” says MaryJo Bishop, area district manager for Lane Bryant stores. “They are a nice alternative to separates, and they can go from the office to dinner at the lake with a change of shoes.” ...

Keating says dresses haven’t been this popular in years. That’s largely because manufacturers got out of the habit of making them...

According to the NPD Group, which tracks retail trends, sales of dresses in the past year have increased more than 30 percent, compared to an increase of only 5 percent for women’s clothing overall...

“We’re seeing a return to dresses at all levels and of all types,” agrees Betsy Thompson, a spokeswoman for Talbot’s. “We’re seeing a return to more feminine dressing.

Hopefully, this return to feminine dressing mirrors a return to femininity in general - femininity in deportment, in attitudes, in manners, and in character - in young women today.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007   #2
klara

Default Re: ''A return to more feminine dressing''

In Sweden, dresses have been "in" since last summer. Each and every girl wears dresses here. It's my most-worn garment, actually. I own 30 dresses. I love dresses and I will never stop wearing them. They really complement my curves.
klara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007   #3
Kaitlynn

On the topic of the revival of feminine dressing, here's a short article that announces the return of something that I've really missed in fashion- frills and ruffles. They were really popular a few seasons ago, and I'm delighted to see that they're coming back into style:

http://www.centredaily.com/living/f...ory/151232.html

They really add so much to a top or dress.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Quote:
Blouses adorned with ruffles, pleats and scalloped edges continue to satisfy this season's ultra-feminine aesthetic.

"Women are still rebelling from being `manned out,' " said Camille Wright, owner of Kaleidoscope boutique in Decatur, Ga., referring to the spare, masculine designs that dominated fashion runways in prior years. "That's why I think it's been such a big hit this summer."

I think the rebellion from being "manned out" should extend to the ideal female figure, too; meaning, abandoning the androgynous stick-thin look, and bringing back the luscious femininity of the full-size female figure.

Oh, and frills and ruffles look especially good on plus-size goddesses, as we all know...
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007   #4
klara

Frills, ruffles, and ribbons have been "in" in Sweden now for about two years. And puffy sleeves are also everywhere. Unfortunately, we have the ugly oversize ideal at the same time. That I hate. I personally go for the more curvy, girly styles.
klara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007   #5
HSG
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
Hopefully, this return to feminine dressing mirrors a return to femininity in general - femininity in deportment, in attitudes, in manners, and in character - in young women today.

Hear, hear. There is no doubt that the introduction of androgynous attire for women was an egregious attempt at social engineering, another campaign in the ideologically-drive war on femininity that began in the 20th century, and persists until today.

It its attempt to propagate the absurd myth that gender is a cultural construct rather than an essential aspect of human existence, feminist ideology has ever been stymied by the fact that women are obviously, visibly different from men. The attempt to obscure this physical repudiation of said ideology led to a stratagem that has had dire consequences for women for decades: the masculinization of women's wear. The theory was, that the more that women could be disguised to seem like men, the more they would be like men. And since men's styles are, inevitably, designed for bodies without curves, women would be forced to eliminate their naturally round proportions, to fit into clothing that was never meant for them in the first place, leaving society an androgynous collective.

But nature will have none of it, and essential human instincts thrive, despite a century of suppression. The disfiguring of women's bodies (through diet-starvation and exercise torture) has failed to distort the human soul. Women are eagerly rediscovering genuinely feminine fashions, which embrace their soft figures, and highlight their natural attributes, as Yanderis (Dorothy Combs models, Miami) demonstrates so effectively:

This is more than a trend, more even than a fashion movement. It is a visual manifestation of a cultural phenomenon; which is, the restoration of femininity itself, "in deportment, in attitudes, in manners, and in character," as M. Lopez states. It portends the restoration of essential impulses, of natural beauty, and of the timeless ideal--all three of which are inexorably intertwined.

Model for Greek plus-size clothing chain Mat Fashion, S/S 2006:

- Click to view larger

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote