The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2007   #1
Kaitlynn

Default ''Curvy Cola-Bottle Body''

U.K. television runs a program called The X Factor, which is vaguely akin to American Idol- and even features Simon Cowell as one of the judges. One of the breakout "stars" of this show is named Chico, and the singer has just released a new song and video titled "Curvy Cola Bottle Body."

The good thing about it is that it takes a pro-plus, anti-starvation stance. All of the female performers are "size 12 and above" (not very full-figured, but at least better than most media productions these days). And one of them- the girl in white- is quite a beauty. It's filled with terrific lyrics like:

Quote:
Sive zero's gotta go
Give me Marilyn Monroe
It has graphics of "zero" (as in, "size zero") x'ed out, and in one entertaining scene, when a group of bony models walk out on the runway, the singer chases them away.

There's a blurb about the genesis of this song and video here:

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article...56&in_page_id=7

I'm not a fan of this kind of music (give me Chloe Agnew singing a classical soprano song any day), and some of the dance sequences are unnecessarily raunchy; but still, it's sending a body-positive message.

Here's the video:

Unfortunately, the aspect ratio is off. The 16x9 picture is compressed into a 4x3 format, meaning that the girls don't looks as curvy as they would if the video were posted as the proper dimensions. Maybe someone will upload a better version in the future. But in the meantime, it's still worth a note.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007   #2
MelanieW

Default Re: ''Curvy Cola-Bottle Body''

I think this might be the beginning of a trend toward music videos celebrating curvier figures. Another British pop star made a song/video called "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)" a few months ago.

I like the cola-bottle song better, as the lyrics are a tad more positive ("big girl" is not a particularly enjoyable phrase), and the anti-size-zero angle of Chicos song is highly appealing. Still, this makes two songs on the pro-curvy side:

I never understand why the full-figured girls in these videos always need to be dressed in showgirl costumes, though. I think the wardrobe could be improved to be more sensual/sexy rather than costumey. But still, the overall effect is constructive.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007   #3
M. Lopez

The first song, "Curvy Cola-Bottle Body," is definitely the better one in terms of lyrics.

And apparently, there's some substance to go with the flash:

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/C...oval.3252175.jp

The profits will be donated to an eating disorder organization, and the singer himself petitioned London Fashion Week to ban underweight models.

Excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Factor star Chico will be appearing at Kettering and Wellingborough as part of a 10-stop tour in 16 hours to raise awareness of the issue.

The message of the tour is that size 10 to 16 women should be flaunting their curves, and size zero is both unhealthy and unattractive.

All profits from the event and Chico's new single will go to the eating disorder charity B-eat.

A spokesman for B-eat said: "People suffering from an eating disorder find the media and fashion industry's portrayal of size zero unhelpful and discouraging when they themselves are battling against an illness which can destroy lives."..

Health risks associated with size zero include infertility, brittle bones and failure of the kidneys, liver and heart...

Chico recently petitioned London Fashion week trying to ban models with a dangerously low Body Mass Index and all the models in his latest video are size 12 or above.

Through this campaign he is hoping to spread the message that size-zero is no match for curvaceous ladies such as Jennifer Lopez and Marilyn Monroe...

A B-eat spokesman said of the tour: "Drawing the public's attention to the negative aspects in this way is a very positive act in raising awareness and ultimately helping people beat their eating disorder."

So it's a song with a helpful message, and apparently a cause that the singer genuinely believes in. It's good to know.

Here's his official site. I figure for a song like this, he deserves a plug:

http://www.chico-official.com/pages/news.html
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007   #4
Emily

I'm not especially fond of this type of music, but I like the message. And I especially enjoy the lyric that describes the "body like a guitar." It reminds me of a very size-positive article from French Elle which was posted on this forum a few seasons ago:

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/boar...thread.php?t=10

That article "hailed the coronation of the "round, guitar-shaped" figure," and went on to say:

Quote:
It is time to celebrate the return of the curve, the return of la rondeur, in a world that is too hard, too square and too abrupt....

For a man, les rondeurs of a woman with a 'guitar-shaped body' are an encouragement to enter into visual, tactile and sexual contact.
That last statement suggests another reason why this "Curvy Cola Bottle" song could be helpful. It might encourage men who have a preference for the fuller female figure (which is to say, the majority of men) to express their preference more openly and vocally.

One of the most insidious ways in which the media suppresses plus-size beauty is by stigmatizing men who are attracted to fuller-bodied women. This stigma is so pervasive that it even warps some women's views, persuading them that there is something out of the ordinary about men who appreciate the fullness of their figures. Rather, a desire for the more generously-proportioned female figure is the natural, baseline form of male attraction to women, and the fetish for emaciation is the true aberration.

Hopefully, a song like this might encourage more men to acknowledge and celebrate their true preference.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007   #5
Erika

I was intrigued, and have looked up Chico. He's for real. Maybe his music isn't everybody's taste; however, this will shock nobody: Chico is absolutely unapologetic about his love of plus-size women. Proof? His partner, Daniyela Rakic. They've been together for some time. She is stunning, and she is a UK size 16! Apparently, he really means size zero has to go! Nice to see somebody walking the walk, too.

Incidentally, that's his daughter in the end of the video, Lalla-Khira, whose name is on the back of his jacket. He's a proud new daddy, apparently. How cool.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote