The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th October 2007   #1
M. Lopez

Default ''My Super Sweet 16'' - Nicole

For those of you who haven't seen it, My Super Sweet 16 is an MTV "reality show" that films affluent teenagers as they plan huge parties for their 16th birthday, with a different teen profiled in each episode.

People have criticized the kids as being spoiled, snobbish, etc., but from what little I've seen from the previews, they seem like ordinary teenagers, just with a higher-income background. They probably play up their "diva" attitudes for the camera, and the love-them-or-hate-them audience reaction drives up ratings.

I mention all this because of the episodes from Season 3 spotlighted a full-figured teen.

Her name is Nicole, and she seems blessedly free of any self-doubt whatsoever about her beauty. Her well-fed figure doesn't prevent her from thinking of herself as God's gift. On the contrary, she poses for the camera like a model, and calls herself "sexy."

She's overflowing with vanity and self-assurance, and I think it's a wonderful thing to see. It's a much more empowering image of young plus-size girls than the media's usually dour "victim" depictions.

And no doubt about it, she has an opulent figure, with a curvy waist:

The show notes that she is a cheerleader, and it's wonderful to see an example of a girl who hasn't had to starve herself to become one. If all cheerleaders had Nicole's rich curves, they would be positive body-image role models.

Unfortunately, the show is only viewable online by U.S. residents, so readers outside the U.S. will only been able to watch two 30-second previews of her episode. One preview is here:

http://us.video.aol.com/player/laun...76920/videos%23

and the other is here (just click the play button):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4004569-3275157

Again, I find Nicole's princess-like, somewhat spoiled attitude a refreshing change from the woe-is-me media stereotype. I'd like to believe that she represents the liberated, self-adoring full-figured girls of the next generation: the plus-size vixens who know how attractive they are, who get what they want, who never even think about starving themselves, but enjoy life to the fullest - as they deserve to.

M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007   #2
Emily

Default Re: ''My Super Sweet 16'' - Nicole

I like Nicole's energy and zest for life, and especially her self-adoration. It's obvious that she doesn't deny herself any of life's pleasures -- food included -- and that's a good thing.

Nicole seems representative of the "Torrid generation." Her appreciation of designer accoutrements testifies to the fact that there is a whole generation of full-figured girls growing up today whom the fashion industry is ignoring. This girl, and girls like her, could be just as viable a market as underweight girls -- indeed, more so, as they are more numerous. So why isn't there a magazine with plus-size models, targeting her specifically? Models like Christina Schmidt and Kelsey and Kailee could be Nicole's "supermodels," just as the waifs are the supermodels to the skinny customers.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007   #3
Kaitlynn

Default Re: ''My Super Sweet 16'' - Nicole

Some people criticize the "super sweet 16" girls for being spoiled, but when I see Nicole, I think of how wonderful it is that she has such joie de vivre.

Consider the alternative, evidenced by the following article:

http://www.star-telegram.com/health/story/286486.html

It lists five of the really terrible things that some parents do to their full-figured daughters, and how damaging such behaviour is.

Here's one important point:

Quote:
Although there's no way to protect children from every hurtful comment, parents can certainly avoid remarking on a child's weight -- and insist that siblings do, too. Even offhand comments can be damaging.

Another, illustrating how a mother can contaminate her daughter with her own size-negativity, ruining her daughter's body image:
Quote:
Natalie Durbin shared the insecurities she'd had as a teen with her daughter Hannah..."She would tell me not to focus on my body image, but then she'd talk about how she hated her body all the time," Hannah says. "Now I think it's best if my mom never talks about these things with me."

The most painful one to read was about how a mother pressured her daughter into exercise-torture, leading the daughter to begin
Quote:
exercising excessively and cutting calories to the point of becoming anorexic...She didn't know how to convey how much she hated the pressure of track meets.

There's a good reason why physical exertion is traditionally incompatible with femininity. Girls are not meant to be punished this way. I can't understand what kind of mother would do this to her own daughter. A truly loving mother would indulge her daughter, let her eat whatever she likes, and encourage her to enjoy life, not treat her like some sort of concentration-camp inmate.

I'm sure Nicole's parens never pressured her to exercise, or denied her whatever food she wanted, or told her she was anything but gorgeous. And she's obviously happly, totally comfortable with herself, and thinks of herself as model-beautiful (which she is). Far better a girl be supposedly "spoiled" than taught to dislike herself.

As has often been said before, the "Torrid generation" consists of vixens, not victims!
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote