Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2008: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th May 2008   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Whitney: CoverGirl of the Week

We will soon be posting screencaps from last week's America's Next Top Model broadcast, but first, we would like to celebrate a particular accomplishment that plus-size competitor Whitney achieved during that episode.

Every week, the program runs a feature called "CoverGirl of the Week," which involves viewers sending in their votes for their favourite candidate.

And this past week, the girl who earned the most votes from ANTM's viewers was none other than . . . Miss Thompson.

This means that going into the final episode of the season (this Wednesday), Whitney is the most popular of ANTM's contestants--among all of the show's viewers. Millions of them.

Keep in mind that the majority of ANTM watchers do not come into the program being favourably inclined towards timeless beauty. If anything, since this is a fashion show dominated by the minus-size aesthetic, most viewers are partial to the androgynous, underweight standard.

And yet Whitney changed their minds. Her beauty won them over.

For the audience to choose Whitney over the best straight-size competitors that America can offer indicates a seismic shift in public thinking. It also proves what this site has always contented: that if the populace were ever allowed to actually see full-figured feminine beauty, the kind of beauty embodied by the most gorgeous plus-size models (Whitney being among them), it would prefer the Classical aesthetic to modern androgyny.

One frequently hears of mythical "focus groups" in which consumers supposedly select thinner models over larger ones, but as we have always asked, what do those "larger" choices actually look like? Are they as attractive as Charlotte Coyle, or as ugly as Camryn Manheim?

Whitney's CoverGirl of the Week win proves that if the models that are presented are sufficiently gorgeous, then the public will choose plus-size over minus-size, well-fed over underfed, full-figure over stick-figure, every time.

Throughout this competition, week after week, Whitney has defeated rivals who epitomize the modern androgynous standard, and who are beloved by fashion's anti-feminine "in" crowd. And by winning CoverGirl of the Week, she has validated what she boldly asserted in her pre-show interview: That she is more beautiful than any of the other contestants because she has a full figure, not despite this fact.

Whatever happens in the show's finale, last week's CGOTW result proves that with the general public, there is no question as to who deserves to be America's Next Top Model:

The plus-size model.

- Click here to see Whitney's win
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008   #2
Emily

Default Re: Whitney: CoverGirl of the Week

Whitney's popularity is genuine. I did a quick search of the blogosphere, and you'd be amazed at how many writers are vocal in their support of Whitney, and eager for her to win the competition. (I know, it can't happen -- but that doesn't stop the majority of viewers from wishing that it would.)

Here are just a few examples:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2008...527706-sun.html

Quote:
America's Next Top Model: The plus-size girl triumphs yet again! My girl Whitney will live to see the finale -- an ANTM first for anyone who eats on a regular basis. Now it's only a matter of beating wishy-washy Anya and twiggy Fatima...

Another:

http://msmeshell.blogspot.com/2008/...sequential.html

Quote:
I want Whitney to win on ANTM...I think it is time for a "big" girl...

Another:

http://calicobebop.blogspot.com/200...-and-locke.html

Quote:
ANTM - WHITNEY IS IN THE FINAL THREE!!!!!

When Tyra called her name second, after Anya, I let out a silent scream of elation!! (silent only because my daughter was asleep) Finally, a "real-size" model making it to the final episode! I'm over the top...I'm glad that Whit made it to the end.

Yet another:

http://audioblitz.blogspot.com/2008/05/antm.html

Quote:
So yeah. I will be really really pumped if Whitney wins top model next week. No other plus-size girl has ever made it this far. Not that if you saw Whitney among normal girls on the street you would even think she was plus-size. She's just a normal, healthy weight, but she looks bigger compared to the waifs on Top Model.

She also seems to have some intelligence and personality, which is not often the case with the token "f**" girls on this show. And instead of feeling threatened by the skinny girls and trying to lose weight, she is comfortable with who she is.

That's awesome!...GO Whitney!!

This is a great one:

http://ineverywoman.blogspot.com/20...ed-of-antm.html

Quote:
I have been cheering for Whitney since the beginning; not only because she is the "plus size" girl, but also because she is good at it and has fun! I say "plus size" in quotes because by real world standards she isn't very big. One thing I have come to notice is the difference in that definition. In the fashion world I would be overweight, or at least plus-size...

Whitney has made it to the top four girls, and I am ecstatic! It makes the show that much more suspenseful for me. I believe she has made it farther than any other plus-size model on ANTM.

And the best is probably this one, at MTV.com, of all places:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/05/01/...%99s-phat-girl/

Quote:
Whitney: 'America's Next Top Model''s Phat Girl

Published by MTV News on Thursday, May 1, 2008 at 12:10 pm.

Being a self-proclaimed religious viewer of La Tyra's “Next Top Model,” I find this season to be the most exciting for one reason: Whitney. The stunning 20-year-old from Atlantic Beach, Florida, has gotten farther in this competition than any of the previous “plus-size” girls, and I'm sure a lot of women would agree that it's been a long time coming. Last night, although in the bottom two, she was pushed through to the final four, sending the once-favored Katarzyna packing.

I, for one, was getting a little tired of the same sort of girl winning every season, and when Whitney stepped in the room the first episode, I wondered if finally we would see a “plus-size” girl win. Modeling shows have become so popular, it's great to see a normal body type...getting closer to winning.

...What happened over the years that being malnourished has become sexy? ...I don't always want to see women that I have to kill myself to look like.

I believe the most important reason Whitney has gotten so far is her confidence and personality, a quality Tyra said was missing in many of the other plus-size girls in the past. That confidence is what truly makes a woman beautiful — as clichéd as it sounds. It's a modeling competition, so what you look like should matter most. But it's also a TV show, and personality is a big part of the equation.

Along with that personality, Whitney does have an amazing body, one that a lot of women would love to have. She is what a real woman looks like. And by the way, real women buy clothes (hint hint, retailers!), and real women probably want to see what a dress would look like on them when they flip through the magazines.

Has “ANTM” finally seen that there needs to be a lot more variety in the fashion industry? I hope so. And I hope Whitney takes this all the way.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote