Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2008: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th May 2008   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default WHITNEY WINS!!!!!!

America's Next Top Model is . . . a plus-size model!

America's Next Top Model is Whitney Thompson.

The Earth shifted just a little bit on its axis today, and the real world and the ideal world formed an unlikely congruence, as a full-figured model beat out all of her competition and took the top spot on the most widely-viewed modelling show in the world.

Despite the deck being stacked against her, despite one challenge after another being rigged for her not to win, Whitney triumphed.

She didn't crack under withering pressure. She didn't fold as the judges offered sometimes contradictory critiques week after week.

She maintained her poise and energy. She maintained her sparkling personality. She never flagged, never gave up. She won.

She won.

She fought the establishment, she challenged the status quo, and she succeeded where many others failed.

We offer Whitney our most enthusiastic congratulations for this unprecedented accomplishment. We will have screencaps in a few days, and you will not believe how gorgeous she appeared in the last program, surpassing all of her previous work.

And for the pièce de résistance, she walked in a Versace runway show with a Classical theme (of course!), in two of the most gorgeous dresses we have ever seen.

We also must congratulate Tyra Banks and America's Next Top Model. Tyra has made many body-positive statements in the past, but nothing that she has ever done for size-celebration matches what she did today: giving a deserving plus-size model a win on ANTM.

If, as a result, even a few young women become comfortable with their naturally curvy figures, and avoid eating disorders, today's program could actually save lives. It will definitely improve the toxic conditions of modern culture.

Let us hope that the rest of the fashion industry takes this win as a wake-up call, and realizes that there is no need to mandate unhealthy emaciation for fashion models. Let us hope that designers see Whitney's beauty and talent, and acknowledge that plus-size models can be every bit as effective--indeed, more effective--in showcasing their designs as today's underweight famine-victims.

Congratulations again to Whitney and ANTM for doing nothing less than . . . improving the world.

Whitney will be on Entertainment Tonight this evening (Thursday), and on TRL (which is apparently an MTV program) on Monday. Watch for her!!

- Video of final show, part 1

- Video of final show, part 2

Last edited by HSG : 15th May 2008 at 21:48.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008   #2
jessica

Default Re: WHITNEY WINS!!!!!!

I gasped upon reading that title and couldn't click the link fast enough! In the years I've been reading this forum, there have been many small steps towards size celebration, but none compare to this! This is a thrilling advancement!

Whitney is a wonderful role model, well-spoken, well-fed and stunning! Can't wait to see what the future brings!
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008   #3
Madeline

I had so many doubts that, once again, they'd ditch the plus-size model for somebody who fits into a cookie cutter mold. I swear, I was curled up into a ball the entire episode and I cried when Tyra said her name. I don't know how far the win will take Whitney, but as Tyra said before the finale, "Just making it this far means she's already a winner."
Madeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008   #4
Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica
I gasped upon reading that title and couldn't click the link fast enough! In the years I've been reading this forum, there have been many small steps towards size celebration, but none compare to this! This is a thrilling advancement!

Whitney is a wonderful role model, well-spoken, well-fed and stunning! Can't wait to see what the future brings!

Yes, yes, YES. I agree with every word. This is a dream come true not just for Whitney, but for every full-figured girl in America.

I am almost beside myself with joy.

How fitting that the runway show was for Versace. As some of you may know, Donatella Versace's daughter has suffered from an eating disorder, so for her to be Whitney's couturier, to give her two dresses that made her look SO GORGEOUS and helped her win, was extremely poignant.

Thank you, Whitney, for bringing back timeless beauty!
Thank you, Tyra, for making it happen!
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008   #5
Kaitlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline
I cried when Tyra said her name.

I was in tears twice during the episode, once at the end, and once in the middle, when it looked ilke Whitney was going to be eliminated in third place, causing her (Whitney) to burst into tears. I think you'd have to have a heart of stone not to cry at that point. For me, it was the most affecting Whitney moment of the entire show. Even her rival model was moved by it, and spoke about how beautiful Whitney looked because her vulnerability showed.

I'm SO THRILLED about the prizes she'll have- a TV commercial, a national print ad, and most exciting of all a billboard in Times Square!! I can't wait to see that!

Here's her CoverGirl photo from the show:

I think it was the most gorgeous of all of ANTM's official pictures of Whitney.

Thank you, Tyra and ANTM! And congratulations, Whitney!!!!

Last edited by HSG : 15th May 2008 at 16:44. Reason: Image URL edited
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008   #6
M. Lopez

I'm especially looking forward to her cover of Seventeen. During the episode, did you see the photoshoot for that cover? She looked INCREDIBLE. I think the red outfit was even better than the blue, but both were lovely.

What an amazing string of "firsts" Whitney is already racking up: first plus-size ANTM winner, first plus-size model to appear on the cover of Seventeen, first plus-size model to walk in a Versace runway show!

And best of all, she is absolutely firm in her size-celebratory stance. Here are two new videos of Whitney interviews. First, a short one for a Chicago TV station. She points out that skeletal models do NOT make women buy clothing - and she's right.

And here she is on Regis & Kelly this morning. I LOVE how she describes how the other models at the Versace fashion show were all salivating as they watched her eating heartily, while they were starving half to death.

Hopefully at least a few of those models might start eating normally themselves now - to say nothing of the millions of young women who saw Whitney win last night.

I've watched the episode several times. It still "gets" me! It was a beautiful, beautiful moment. I hope Whitney keeps spreading her size-positive message.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008   #7
Chad

I just stumbled on the best Whitney interview yet:

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly...odel_110903.htm

Honestly, this girl is a dream-come-true for size-celebration. She's saying exactly the things that we've all been waiting for someone to say for years:

Quote:
A-PLUS MODEL

By MICHAEL STARR

May 15, 2008 --

WHITNEY Thompson last night became the first plus-size winner in the history of "America's Next Top Model."

And boy, is she proud of that distinction.

"People always say you have to be stick-skinny, emaciated and unhealthy and I've kind of stood up for [being full-figured] my whole life," Thompson told The Post in her first post-victory interview.

"I'm not going to lose 50 pounds - if someone asks me to do that, I'll go to another [modeling] agency," she says. "I've already heard online from boys and girls all over the world who are dealing with eating disorders.

"They're thanking me for standing up and saying, 'I am a plus-size model and I am beautiful.'

"This is what people should look like," she says, referring to herself, "rather than skin-and-bones, which is disgusting and sends a bad message to people everywhere."

It's that outspokenness, along with her obvious self-confidence, that helped Thompson win over Anya Kop in last night's "Top Model" finale.

Thompson, 20 - from Atlantic Beach, Fla. - says she and "Top Model" host Tyra Banks have more in common than meets the eye.

"I talked to her after everything was over and I think she herself was so thrilled the judges and panel picked me in the end," Thompson says.

"I know she deals a lot with issues from the media with her weight and she sees the statistics with younger women and their weight, and I think she was probably pulling for me deep down."

So now Thompson embarks on a round of morning TV appearances (including "Live with Regis & Kelly" and "The Early Show") and all the perks that come along with winning "Top Model" - including a fashion spread in Seventeen and an Elite modeling contract.

And she says the exposure will help her spread her message.

"I have a 13-year-old cousin who's so much like me it's uncanny," she says. "She's completely normal-size but she says, 'Oh, I'm so f**'," and I'm like, 'No, you're not and why would you ever say that.'

"I have the purpose and drive and I'm trying to change the face of fashion and society," she says. "It starts with a single step.

"The judges saw that I'm here for a reason - and now I have to make that happen."

Far from being cowed by her ANTM experience, Whitney is more revolutionary that ever!

With her defiant, celebratory stance and her soft beauty, she truly is the ideal representative of full-figured women.

Last edited by HSG : 15th May 2008 at 23:09. Reason: Link url edited
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008   #8
Graham

I'm sure everyone would love to see some pictures of the final episode. I found these at the CW site.

Here's Whitney looking deliciously curvy on the catwalk. Gorgeous, womanly hips - truly the figure of a goddess.

Stunning behind-the-scenes picture from the runway show:

Another. Her complexion looks amazing here.

I LOVE these romantic curls. They suit her perfectly.

On the runway in baby pink:

Whitney wins! What a moment. I nearly had a heart attack, I was so excited.

A tender hug from Tyra.

Another view. Utterly adorable.

Here's a high-res photo of Whitney with Tyra:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/...ey999999ob3.jpg

And a wallpaper-side version of her stunning CoverGirl ad. Face of an angel.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/...itney999ns5.jpg
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008   #9
MelanieW

As far as Im concerned, this was the ultimate triumph of curves over "angles". Whitney looked SO GOOD in those Versace gowns - which were truly beautiful, by the way, and I have to applaud the designer for giving her the right kind of dresses to wear on the runway. They really suited her womaly figure.

No waif would have looked half as good in those dresses, and the runway show should prove to everyone that plussize models can show off feminine fashions ten times better than the malnourished minus-sizes ever could.

Even Entertainment Tonight celebrated Whitneys win. Heres the video:

Seventeen actually shot her in A BIKINI!! And she looked amazing. I guess Ann Shoket (the Seventeen editor) was telling the truth when she commented in episode 11 that Whitney was too covered up in her paparazzi photo, because in her magazine, Shoket UNcovered her! - showing how beautiful Whitney really is. I just hope they run those bikini pictures.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008   #10
tkds

Wow.

In the first of the Versace dresses (the ecru one) she is so absolutely stunning -- and the dress really shows off her body. Imagine if every model on the runway always looked like that.

My favorote statement was "I think Whitney is the one that a man would want to have in his bedroom" -- followed closely by "The correct term is FULL FIGURED MODEL." Say it loud and say it proud! Congratulations Whitney!!
tkds is offline   Reply With Quote