The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2008: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2008   #1
Effy

Default Whitney in Seventeen!

Whitney in the latest issue of Seventeen magazine. Interview included.

Effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default ''I look good in a size 14''

Thank you so much for sharing this, Effy. What an incredible layout.

Just one short week ago, when we posted about Whitney's penultimate ANTM episode, we remarked on a comment made by guest judge Ann Shoket (the editor-in-chief of Seventeen magazine), who said of Whitney's paparazzi photo:

"She should use some of that va-va-va-voom to her advantage. She's totally covering up her gorgeous body here, and she kind of has to own that sexiness a little bit."

To this, we commented (somewhat cynically) as follows:

Let us hope that Shoket's comments indicate that whenever a plus-size model appears in Seventeen, said model will not be "covered up," and will be allowed to exhibit her "va-va-va-voom."

Boy, did Ms. Shoket ever show us! We will never doubt her again. This layout is utterly stunning. We never dreamt that Seventeen would do something so bold and revolutionary, so size-celebratory, as to show a plus-size model in a bona fide fashion layout . . . in a bikini.

It's nearly as remarkable a development as Whitney's win itself.

And this is not "Whitney in a bikini--but hiding behind a surfboard." No, this is Whitney revealing her curvy figure fully and unapologetically. Even her poses are not meant to disguise her figure, but to show it off.

The best is surely the image of the red two-piece:

You can see the curve at her side, as well as the soft swell around the lip of the trunks. Her smile exudes confidence and comfort with herself.

And what a brilliant, brilliant cut line to add to the image: "I look good in a size 14." Many of the magazine's readers will be able to look at this image and say to themselves, "That's right--and I can look in a size 14 too."

The cut line is in fact delightfully subversive, because readers will know that Whitney is not a size 14, so the implication is that she would have no qualms about becoming a size 14. To indicate to young women that they shouldn't feel ashamed of themselves for becoming more naturally curvaceous, but instead should feel great about developing fuller figures--that is the most daring and empowering message of all. It is truly Mode-worthy.

Perhaps the most gorgeous image of all is this one, because it's the only one that displays a hint of that particular feature which fans adored so much in Whitney's ANTM screencaps--the "slight rise" of a "slope towards the throat." Her swimsuit is every bit as skimpy as what a minus-size model would wear--and that in itself communicates a world of self-love to any curvy girls seeing this layout. Once again, note the important cut line--a reminder that Whitney is doing more than merely selling clothes. She is championing a cause, and advancing a genuinely noble ideal.

The skimpiest bikini is the one shown in the following image, yet although it is somewhat risqué, its effect is softened by the feminine ruffles--an adorable touch. This pose here may be a bit minimizing, but one still sees the outward curve of the model's waist. Whitney's celebrated blonde tresses add so much to the allure of these images. And note the great accesories.

And here are the pages of the exceptionally well-conducted interview. The text should be large enough to be legible. Be sure to read every word, because both the interviewer and the model share a resolutely pro-curvy message.

Whitney proves to be just as intelligent, determined, and purposeful in real life as she appeared on the show. A better spokemodel for size-celebration we could never have hoped for.

How wonderful to note that while the inset picture of Miss Thompson (above) is lovely, it is the only one in the layout showing the model covered up--and that this is the image which the magazine printed at a reduced size, while the bikini pictures got the full-page treatment.

Whitney brings out the radical element in anyone she works with.

Bravo to Seventeen for an incredibly courageous and gorgeous spread, to Ann Shoket for being as good as her word, to Jessica Weiner for a terrific interview, and most of all--as always--to Whitney, for leading the way towards a healthier, more beautiful ideal of womanhood.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #3
Madeline

Default Re: Whitney in Seventeen!

Red is one of my favorite colors for when I'm in diva mode. It always made me smile to see Whitney in a red coat, or shopping, asking if something is in red. To me, it means that she wants to be seen. Putting her in a red bikini was a great choice. All of the swimwear seem to pay homage to Marilyn Monroe's era, which is great.

I really hope she does work for Victoria's Secret or Sports Illustrated. Paulina said she's the type of girl a man would want in his bedroom, so who better to model intimates?
Madeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #4
jessica

Wow. This is simply wonderful. Bravo to Seventeen for stepping up! Whitney's comments are just perfect and her attitude and outlook are refreshingly positive. It would have saved me years of self doubt to have a role model like her when I was a teen. Whitney just gets better and better!
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #5
Graham

Stunning, STUNNING pictures, and very brave of everyone involved (Seventeen included). The only question is, why did it take this long for something like this to happen? Seventeen should have similar spreads in EVERY issue (and so should all of the other fashion mags.

Big news - Whitney is now officially on the Elite Models New York board, in the "Development - In Town" section (meaning, in town in New York). Here's the link to her online card:

http://www.elitemodel.com/details.a...8&io=111&indx=2

Her measurements are given as 36"-32"-43", which is respectable. One wishes she were curvier (oh, if only she were a size 14!), but a 43" hip measurement is genuinely womanly.

So she is the only plus-size model at the main Elite Agency. There's something rather fitting about that. She was all alone, breaking ground on the show, and now she's similarly unique at Elite. She is literally "the Elite plus-size model." I rather like the sound of that!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008   #6
Chad

Whitney is racking up an impressive string of firsts:

-1st plus-size model to walk in a Badgley-Mischka show
-1st plus-size model to walk in a Versace show
-1st plus-size model to win America's Next Top Model
-1st plus-size model (not actress) to have a CoverGirl contract
-1st plus-size model to get her own cover and multi-page layout in Seveteen
-1st plus-size model to be represented by Elite New York

She is already breaking down barriers. I hope it continues!

Here are two terrific new TV clips. First, an excellent interview on The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch - perhaps the best she's done yet. The most empowering moment comes at 4:01, when Whitney describes how she took what others had dubbed a potential limitation (her full figure), and instead embraced it as her greatest strength. It's a concept that has come up frequently at this forum over the years - the "revaluation of values," the "turn in thinking" - but how amazing to hear the idea expressed on national television. Also, the clips from ANTM are very well chosen.

And here is an interview that Whitney did for Fox News. This is somewhat more lighthearted, but Whitney looks especially beautiful here. The reporter even loses his train of thought at that point because of her distracting beauty! But she still gets across an important message.

It will come as a particular relief to Whitney's fans to hear her declare that she will NOT lose weight if the industry pressures her to do so. Perhaps in Whitney, young girls finally have a role model who will not let them down.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008   #7
renata

Default Re: ''I look good in a size 14''

The text was a little hard to read in the scans, but I enjoyed the interview so much, I wanted to post my favorite parts of it. I love everything she has to say. Every the interview's intro is great

Quote:
WILD WHITNEY

By Jessica Weiner

No doubt about it: If you're ever in a fight with the mean girls at school, you'd want Whitney Thompson, 20, in your corner. She is strong-willed, says what she thinks, and never backs down -- whether she's standing up for a friend or on a quest to win America's Next Top Model. ...When she became the first-ever full-figured winner, she proved something major: being real is beautiful... There aren't many high-profile full-figured models out there, and so we tend to think that anyone with a lot of curves can't be considered truly beautiful. We might know that's not really true, but we still need to see more people like Whitney -- people who help change standards of beauty. "I've been raised my entire life to think curves are good!" she says. Read on to find out how she got all that confidence -- and why she is on a mission to make us all feel at peace with our bodies!

JW: When people pass you on the street, big would be the last word they'd think. How does it feel to be considered a "full-figured" model?

WHITNEY: ...I'm considered big in the modeling industry -- which is really messed up! When we did "go-sees" [castings for runway shows], one lady said to me, "I don't put anything bigger than a size 2 on the runway." And I'm like, "That's really sad." When we'd watch the models walking the runway, everyone would say, "They look pretty," but I was like, "They look hungry!"

JW: Where do you get all your confidence?

WHITNEY: It definitely comes from my family and the way I was raised. I've learned to take my "flaws" and realize they're what make me different. I've got my mom's thighs, you know? Southern! My mom has big thighs, my grandmama has big thighs. God forbid I look like every other robot-cookie-cutter girl out there!

JW: What do you do when you're feeling bad?

WHITNEY: I truck through. It's not, like, My thighs are f** -- I'm not going outside. It's like, Nope -- I'm going out!

JW: How can we change the industry to start seeing healthier bodies as beautiful?

WHITNEY: For the past 20 years, all that's mattered in modeling is that you look like a clothes hanger. I'm from the South, and in my neck of the woods, if Kate Moss came down here, no one would look at her--she looks like a little boy!...What we need to do is bring back someone with a healthy body image. Until we do that, girls--and models--will still die from anorexia.

JW: What do you want to take on next?

WHITNEY: I want to do Victoria's Secret. I want to do Sports Illustrated -- body modeling, where you usually see girls with huge implants and no appetite...

JW: Looking back, if the 17-year-old version of you were here now, what would you tell her?

WHITNEY: I would tell her to slow down, focus on the good, and hold your head high. You're never going to be perfect in someone else's eyes, so you have to say to yourself, I'm perfect as I am. Once you get there, it's life-changing.
renata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008   #8
M. Lopez

Seventeen.com has also now posted an exciting behind-the-scenes video of Whitney's bikini shoot!

The colour is over-saturated, but still, it's a beautiful, size-positive video. The MOST gorgeous scenes are the shots of Whitney being made up and getting her hair styled; plus, there are several profile shots showing that she does have a curvy waist.

It's so wonderful to think of all of the Seventeen readers who will be seeing this video, reading Whitney's issue of the magazine, and gaining new-found body-confidence from it.

She has many fine statements in the video, but the best is her assertion that her whole purpose in modelling is to

Quote:
"show women that you don't have to look like a stick figure with breast implants to look beautiful."
Thank goodness someone is saying these things - and providing by her own beauty.

You can also see the video at a larger size on the Seventeen site:

http://www.seventeen.com/fun-stuff/...bject=757583871
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008   #9
Kaitlynn

Speaking of videos, here's one more- a great new clip from today's broadcast of E! News, spotlighting Whitney's bikini shoot for Seventeen:

It features more behind-the-scenes footage of this incredibly daring shoot. I love Whitney's poses, which are very comfortable and sexy. (She even plays with her hair.) It also includes some of the most empowering statements from the magazine's terrific interview with Whitney. I especially love what she says about Kate Moss!

Excellent commentary by E! News too, by the way- totally positive about Whitney's fuller figure. If only the media adopted this pro-curvy tone more often.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008   #10
Madeline

She looks great. Is that the entire interview?
Madeline is offline   Reply With Quote