The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th April 2009   #1
Emily

Default ''Rivals in Renaissance Venice'' (art exhibit)

How amazing that this year, the U.S. is lucky enough to host not just one, but two magnificent exhibitions of Renaissance art.

Earlier this year the Met staged "Art and Love in Renaissance Italy," and now, the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston is holding an equally exciting exhibition:

Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese: Rivals in Renaissance Venice

(link below)

This is a unique opportunity to see some of the most gorgeous images of plus-size beauty ever created, including Titian's Venus,

his Flora,

and his first and most sensual Danaë, from the Capodimonte Museum in Naples. Just look at the fullness of her arms and legs; the curve of her abdomen; and the fact that she's reclining so heavily, indolently, on soft cushions. She's a pure goddess of lassitude, indulgence, and pleasure.

This may be the only opportunity ever to see Danaë in North America, so unless you plan to be in Naples at least once in your lifetime, this is your one chance to see her with your own eyes.

http://www.mfa.org/venice/
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009   #2
Christine

Default Re: ''Rivals in Renaissance Venice'' (art exhibit)

Thank you! What gorgeous works of plus-size beauties - like goddesses.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009   #3
vargas

Here in Portland, Oregon USA there is an exhibit at the Portland Art Museum that is exquisite - La volupté du goût: French Painting in the Age of Madame de Pompadour

It will be here until May 17.

I thoroughly enjoyed this exhibition and I brought my young niece along who also liked it. I wanted her to see these full figured, goddess-like women and understand that there was a time when such a look was desired by all in society. You can go to the actual site and see a slideshow of the many gorgeous paintings we were able to see:

http://portlandartmuseum.org/exhibi...me-de-Pompadour

It made me long for a more elegant time when women were fuller-figured and proud of it, wore silks, lace and dresses of other wonderful, voluminous materials, men were gentlemen and the arts weren't so crass.
vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009   #4
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargas
Here in Portland, Oregon USA there is an exhibit at the Portland Art Museum that is exquisite - La volupté du goût: French Painting in the Age of Madame de Pompadour

http://portlandartmuseum.org/exhibi...me-de-Pompadour

Thank you for excellent link! I totally agree with you sentiment of lovely plussize beauties, elegant clothing and unpolluted art.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote