The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th April 2009   #1
M. Lopez

Default It's official: Dieting IS torture (article)

The news about the CIA torture memos has been widely discussed in the media recently. While I know that The Judgment of Paris is 100% anti-political and 100% politically neutral, one point from this story directly applies to the topics that we discuss here, and is independent of anyone's political position on the CIA memos themselves.

One of the CIA's prescribed torture methods for the terrorists was "food deprivation" - literally to starve the prisoners. From this article (the rest of which is irrelevant, because it has a political slant),

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...0,5961666.story

comes the following information:

Quote:
In defending the denial of food to prisoners, a government lawyer noted that "several commercial weight-loss programs available in the United States involve similar or even greater reductions in caloric intake."

Think about what that means. Remeber: these are torture memos. The point of the CIA's actions was expressly to torture the prisoners.

Yet the government affirms that diet companies starve their customers just as much - or even more.

Commercial diets are thus literally equivalent to torture practices. In fact, as the government points out, they go beyond torture.

When a woman puts herself to a diet, she is punishing herself worse than a terrorist at Guantanamo Bay.

When a mother puts her daughter on a diet, she is literally torturing her daughter. She is treating her daughter like a terrorist.

This is not an exaggeration. It is the literal truth, based on the government's own documents, as the quote proves.

The government learned how to torture from the diet companies. The diet companies gave them a method of torture - a method that they didn't even have to augment to make it more punishing. No, the diets were already sufficiently physically agonizing that they could be used as torture exactly as the diets are sold to the public.

This is a shocking relevation, but it proves once and for all just how insane it is for any girl to willingly subject herself to what is, in fact, a torture method. Any woman who spends her money on a commercial diet is literally paying for torture.

And it also shows how inhuman any parents would be if they put their own daughter on a diet, because in doing so, they would literally be punishing her as brutally as terrorists are punished.

No woman deserves to do that to herself, and no girl deserves to be treated that way.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009   #2
Kaitlynn

Default Re: It's official: Dieting IS torture (article)

That revelation provides shocking perspective on just how destructive diets really are. And not just so-called "extreme" diets- regular commercial diets are literally equivalent to torture. It's not just this site that's making such a claim anymore. Now it is a concrete fact, proven by the torturers' own words and deeds.

There is such a hue and a cry in the media over the revelations of these CIA torture methods, but what should really make people mad is that the same torture techniques, the same kind of food deprivation, is allowed to be pushed on the public as a commercial product.

If people think that the Geneva Convention applies, and that torture should be banned, then dieting as a whole should be banned as well.

Think of how much happier and healthier girls would be if the diet companies weren't allowed to bombard them with messages of body-hate, or to sell them methods of self-starvation and and what is, by definition, "cruel and unusual punishment."
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009   #3
HSG
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
Commercial diets are thus literally equivalent to torture practices. In fact, as the government points out, they go beyond torture.

When a woman puts herself to a diet, she is punishing herself worse than a terrorist at Guantanamo Bay.

When a mother puts her daughter on a diet, she is literally torturing her daughter. She is treating her daughter like a terrorist.

This is not an exaggeration. It is the literal truth, based on the government's own documents.

Sometimes it takes an extraordinary revelation to bring a crisis situation into relief. Hopefully this shocking information will finally make women realize just what they are doing to themselves when they go on a diet. They are literally sentencing themselves to starvation, at a level that is equivalent to torture--according to the official, clinical definition of torture.

If a time-traveller, or a visitor from another planet, were to come to modern Earth and observe this practice, he wouldn't believe it. He wouldn't believe that women could do such things to themselves (and to their daughters)--that they would actually pay to physically harm their own bodies, and to do it in a way that is so intensely agonizing that precisely the same method is used to punish enemies of the state.

How is it possible that the world decries such practices when they are applied to soldiers, the most hardened and toughened of persons, but accepts them when they are applied to young women, the most sensitive and vulnerable of individuals?

It is simply incomprehensible.

The call to ban all dieting is not the least bit extreme. Rather, is the only sensible option, the only humane option, since dieting (as this revelation proves) is literally inhumane--so inhumane that the equivalent practice, when applied to military combatants, is deemed unacceptable by all civilized nations.

No parent, and certainly no company (e.g., a modelling agency), should ever be allowed to put a girl on a diet, because to do so (as is now confirmed) is an act of physical cruelty and barbarity.

No corporation should be allowed to sell such harmful practices to the public, and no television or print advertising should be allowed to promote it.

Can you imagine if there were public ads describing how to waterboard someone, or to stretch someone on the rack? The public would never accept the promotion of those methods of torture, nor should it accept the widespread promotion of this method of torture either.

If we accept the premise that torture is barbaric, then dieting is barbaric.
If we accept the premise that torture is unacceptable, then dieting is unacceptable.
If we accept the premise that torture must be stopped, then dieting must be stopped.

And if torture is illegal, then dieting must by definition be illegal (since it is literally a method of torture).

Lindsey Garbelman modelling the Kellan J bridal collection for Aurora Formals. Happily diet-free, and beautiful as a result.

Last edited by HSG : 28th July 2009 at 06:13.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #4
Nazira

Smile Re: It's official: Dieting IS torture (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez

And it also shows how inhuman any parents would be if they put their own daughter on a diet, because in doing so, they would literally be punishing her as brutally as terrorists are punished.

No woman deserves to do that to herself, and no girl deserves to be treated that way.

Thank you for that statement from the bottom of my heart! Seriously, though it may be hard for you to believe, my mother does that to me. She restricts my food intake in the hope that I will lose weight! She really believes the "skinny is healthy" mantra. This is why I look up to Whitney Thompson (ANTM's first plus-size winner) so much. I get to hear her talk of her positive upbringing and it makes me hopeful for the future. That even though my mother, her mother, her grandmother etc, my aunt, and my cousin were all anorexic (which I too am ashamed to say I was), no other girls will ever go through what the women in my family have gone through.

And though it was necessary, I suppose, for Whitney to learn how it would be in the industry on ANTM, it shouldn't be that way. It can never be repeated enough times that the fashion industry MUST be reformed for the health of women everywhere. No more glamorizing a fatal disease.

All of you on this forum are great but I don't think you realize how great. This website literally saved my life and I cannot say thank all of you enough times.
Nazira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #5
Luminosa

Whenever I have heard women talking about going on a diet, it was never with a feeling of anticipation, or happiness. It was always with dread, with a somber feeling. Dieting is torture. When you diet, you deprive yourself of nourishment, and you cannot take your mind off of your constant feeling of hunger. It is awful, and I have seen women who subject their daughters to this, and it makes me sad. When you diet, it's almost like a slow death. There is nothing beneficial about it at all.

I too am grateful for this site, because it reaffirms the truth about how beautiful plus-size women really are.
Luminosa is offline   Reply With Quote