The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th July 2009   #1
MelanieW

Default Greece still loves curvy beauty

I found this article to be really refreshing and enthusiastic. Its about the wonderful experience that one American columnist had when she went to Greece, and discovered that the women there are curvy, are proud of their full figures, and have an unabashed love of eating.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...feentertainment

Here are the pertinent sections:

Quote:
The Greeks really know how to live

I may be a woman with working-class German and American roots, but I think my soul is Greek.

I love this country. I'm writing from Greece, where I have discovered an entire country of people who share my values: eating and talking.

I have hit the mother lode. The food is soaked in olive oil, everything is topped with crumbling feta.

Forget the land of milk and honey; I'm in the land of goat cheese and gossip. And I love it. The enthusiasm with which the Greeks eat tells me they are kindred spirits.

I've spent much of my adult life struggling with my weight. Who knew that the answer to my problems was just an ocean away?

I don't talk and eat too much; I was just mistakenly placed on the wrong continent.

Did I mention that the Greek women have hips, thighs and tummies? No anorexics here; this is a country where real women jiggle. Most of the Greek women I've seen not only have a little extra padding around the middle, but get this, they flaunt it.

If you've ever had the horror of having to stand next to a woman from Paris or New York, you'll be delighted to know that the Greek women are about 40 percent bigger and 50 percent less self-conscious than waifs from other parts of the world. They don't care if their hips spill out over the top of their pants; they just order another round of olives and ouzo.

Jiggly women, tons of food and nonstop talking -- these are my people all right.

Is it any wonder Greece was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy and theater? It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you're not trying to diet or stifle your emotions.

Did I mention that the women here have voluptuous hips and thighs?

It's unlikely that I'm going to become an actual Greek citizen any time soon, so I'll just have to settle for a few more days of eating and talking.

But be forewarned America: I'm coming home a changed woman. I am a Greek Goddess. I eat a lot, and if you don't like it, too bad. I hear Aphrodite was a chubby chick.

Classical Greece gave birth to the timeless ideal of beauty, so its wonderful to know that curvaceous femininity is still admired there.

I wish more women would have an empowering experience like this columnist did, and learn to appreciate their naturally full figures.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009   #2
Tamika

Default Re: Greece still loves curvy beauty (article)

I absolutely loved this article- I myself live in Australia but with an entirely Greek heritage, so these words rang very true for me.

Is it really any surprise that a country which is so connected to its history and heritage still values the timeless, full-figured beauty aesthetic? Greece is extremely proud of the beautiful Classical ruins of buildings which grace its land, and so it should also be proud of the voluptuous and beautiful women which live side-by-side with these places of history.

Quote:
The food is soaked in olive oil, everything is topped with crumbling feta.

Quote:
They don't care if their hips spill out over the top of their pants; they just order another round of olives and ouzo.

The love of food is one of the wonderful characteristics of Greek culture, and weight-related concerns about diving into the hearty meals and sweet desserts are nowhere to be found. It is a wonderfully common sight to see Greek women eating as much as they like whenever they like, and beautifying their figures in the process.

Thank you for posting this; it has made me even prouder of my heritage.
Tamika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009   #3
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Greece still loves curvy beauty (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika
The love of food is one of the wonderful characteristics of Greek culture, and weight-related concerns about diving into the hearty meals and sweet desserts are nowhere to be found. It is a wonderfully common sight to see Greek women eating as much as they like whenever they like, and beautifying their figures in the process.

You deserve to be very proud of your heritage, Tamika. Ancient Greece was the cradle of Western civilization, and there is hardly a thought or value of any worth in our culture that is not directly due to the influence of Antiquity. From Aristotle down to the great Nietzsche (who lived in the Greek world more than he did in his own time), Western culture was enriched by an unbroken line of philosophical thought based on Classical precepts, a conceptual lineage that gave it form and purpose.

The severing of that link, after WWII, has had disastrous consequences for Western society, which has since devolved into chaos, degeneracy, and aimlessness. However, classical Greece remains a beacon, an opportunity, a wellspring from which those who wish to right our civilization can draw.

The influence of Greece can also reorient any individual's personal compass, as it did for the writer of the above article. For her, going to Greece was not a journey to a foreign land. Rather, it was a case of immersing herself in her true culture--for Classical civilization is the authentic home of the Western spirit.

It is modern North America that is philosophically foreign to all those who are of European descent--however many generations back their European origins may be. Since the American media is governed by artificial ideologies and alien values ("slave morality," as Nietzsche termed it, or what we call the "aesthetics of guilt"), Europeans in their adopted home across the Atlantic are living in a land where the dominant media values are essentially foreign to them.

But by going to Greece, and immersing herself in a latter-day Classical culture, the writer of the article found her true, spiritual home. Her German-American soul is Greek, as she writes; as is the soul of all Europeans, even those who have been transplanted to America.

True Western beauty does not consist of emaciated frames that are native to a more arid environment. Timeless, Classical femininity is lush and fertile--consisting, as the writer says, of "hips, thighs and tummies," of women who eat with "enthusiasm," who "not only have a little extra padding around the middle, but flaunt it," and whose "hips spill out over the top of their pants" in an irresistibly sensual manner.

And the writer is absolutely right when she says, so colloquially but proudly, that "Aphrodite was a chubby chick." Or to put it another way, when the Greeks created the goddess of beauty, they gave her the generous proportions of true, feminine attractiveness. It was only natural for them to make a lavish appetite one of the key attributes of Aphrodite, for they knew that the more beautiful the goddess, the more inclined she would be to "eat as much as she likes, and to beautify her figure in the process," as our Greek contributor Tamika puts so well.

Imagine if all of the European-descended inhabitants of North America were to throw off their alien media, with its foreign values, and reestablish a culture based on Classical ideals. Those latter-day Aphrodites known as "plus-size models" would become our icons of beauty, and all women would rediscover their true selves, as did the writer of the aforementioned article--becoming "50 percent less self-conscious," and 100 percent more beautiful.

The Crouching Aphrodite of Doidalses (Roman copy of a c.250 B.C. Greek original):

Click to enlarge

Observe how lovingly the sculpture has depicted the curvaceous waist of this well-fed goddess of beauty.

- The Judgment of Paris Pinacotheca

Last edited by HSG : 29th December 2009 at 19:06.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote