The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2009   #1
Hannah

Default The truth about curves and health

A Canadian newspaper has just published an op-ed article in which the health benefits for women of being full-figured are finally acknowledged.

Some of the terminology is awful, but the writer's theme ("What the ob***** industry doesn't want you to know") is astonishingly enlightened.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article1230784/

The pertinent observations:

Quote:
A new study based on Statistics Canada population data reaches an exceedingly awkward conclusion: People who are "overweight" live longer than people who are classified as “normal” weight. Not only that, people who are classified as significantly "overweight" also live longer.

The study, led by Statistics Canada's Heather Orpana, was devised to estimate the relationship between body mass index and mortality in Canadian adults. The database was nearly 12,000 people. The authors of the Canada-U.S. joint study adjusted for age, gender, smoking, physical activity and alcohol consumption. They found that the link between weight and mortality is relatively weak.

But being "overweight" was associated with a 25-per-cent lower risk of dying. Being ob*** was associated with a 12-per-cent lower risk of dying. The risk for the most morbidly ob*** (who account for less than 3 per cent of all Canadians) was statistically the same as the risk for people of “normal” weight. The findings were published online in the research journal Ob*****.

“'Overweight' may not be the problem we thought it was,” said David Feeny, a senior investigator at Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research in Oregon, almost apologetically. “'Overweight' was protective.” He added that agencies such as Health Canada might want to rethink the way they classify people's weight.

Is this study just a fluke? On the contrary. It confirms the findings of dozens of other large population studies that rarely get publicity. They all conclude that being "overweight" is not a problem...In fact, a little extra padding is good for you.

“Decades of medical research that contradicts our popularized beliefs rarely reaches the public,” says Sandy Swarcz, the brains behind the invaluable website junkfoodscience.com, where you can find a more detailed dissection of the Canadian results.

In 2005, another researcher, Katherine Flegel, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, published another large study with similar findings. Prominent health experts were outraged, calling the research flawed. “There's not a lot of money in trying to debunk ob*****, but a huge amount in making sure it stays a big problem,” Patrick Basham, a professor of health-care policy at Johns Hopkins University, told The Associated Press.

Researchers and public-health authorities are heavily invested in ob*****. So are major drug companies, which help fund influential bodies such as the International Ob***** Task Force. The Canadian Ob***** Network, which gets millions in government funding, lists dozens of leading drug companies as its “industry partners.”

Here's more bad news for all those folks who are nagging us about our weight. The evidence is very clear that...losing lots of weight is bad for you, not good.

For reasons that are not well understood, people who lose substantial amounts of weight, or go up and down on yo-yo diets, suffer long-term adverse health effects. Oprah is an absolutely terrible role model, along with all the folks featured on America's Biggest Loser. As one expert told Newsweek, “People show an improvement in short-term risk factors [blood pressure and blood sugar levels], but they die. I don't think that's a good outcome.”

That extra weight is protective, especially for women. So relax. God doesn't want you to fit into your old jeans.

...[Y]our weight doesn't matter too much. Despite the alleged "ob***** epidemic," our life expectancy continues to increase, and deaths by heart attack and stroke continue to decline.

Sadly, we're not likely to see headlines any time soon that say, “Ninety-five per cent of us have weight that is okay.” Not when we're all convinced that socially, if not medically, we're too f**, and that we'd be vastly better off if only we could shed those extra 20 or 30 or 40 pounds. So just remember this: Those fashionably anorexic Manhattanites are the ones we envy. But the people in the Bronx will have the last laugh.

What's especially important is the writer's observation that not only is being full-figured healthier, but that losing weight is acutely unhealthy.

And bravo to her for identifying that this whole nonexistent "crisis" is actually just the product of drug companies and other businesses that have created the fiction of a weight "epidemic" for a blatant profit motive.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009   #2
Maureen

Default Re: The truth about curves and health

I think the tide is starting to turn. I have seen more evidence that the tyranny of the BMI is on the decline. It is my hope that all people, especially those in the medical profession, will stop insisting that women gauge their health and beauty by a number that accurately measures neither.

Delight in your bodies, goddesses.

Terpsichore, the muse of choral music and dance, by Jean-Marc Nattier (1665-1766).

Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009   #3
Luminosa

Default Re: The truth about curves and health

This is important information! It is imperative that we continue to educate each other about the realities of what it means to be truly healthy. Armed with these indisputable facts, we can begin to have the confidence to live free from the falsehood that thinner is better. As I have stated before, this website is invaluable for all full figured women. Each time I visit, I feel more and more empowered! Long live all goddesses!
Luminosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009   #4
Erika

Default Not surprising

I'm not really surprised to hear this. I work in a university where biotech is king and you can dream up any hypothesis to secure external funding, hereby validating your "claims." For years, evidence has been put forth, at the warped discretion of the investigators, that being f** is bad...don't think it didn't have something to do with the lucrative diet and beauty industries that make so much off our dissatisfaction with self. I bet we could find equally much, if not more research to support the notion that extra body f** is protective, promotes longevity, lengthens the reproductive cycle, etc.

I'm off medical research now forever. It's rubbish for the most part. People design hypotheses, at least in the US, by what they think is "fundable." Fact is, far more people die of being malnourished than "over"weight; just ask anybody from the third world, where a plump woman is still a sign of wealth and abundance. Not to mention rounder and prettier (less wrinkles!).
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote