Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2005   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default A plus-size magazine prototype

We just received a truly intriguing bit of information from photographer Stanley Debas.

Mr. Debas tells us that he is working on a plus-size print magazine with his wife, and that he needs a few models for the prototype. He is shooting a bridal editorial (!) next weekend in Connecticut, and he is seeking "a few good girls."

Are you excited yet? We certainly are.

Any models who are in New York and are interested can contact Mr. Debas to receive more information at:

stanley@debasphotography.com

If the heart-stoppingly gorgeous image shown below of the breathtaking Kelsey Olson is any indication of the quality that this magazine will exhibit, it could well be a revolutionary project.

Mr. Debas says, "I love shooting plus-size models, and we need a magazine to show these beautiful goddesses."

We most certainly agree.

Click to enlarge

(You may click on the image to view it at a larger size.)

www.debasphotography.com

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005   #2
Emily

Default Re: A plus-size magazine prototype

Kelsey has such a lovely figure, and the perfect mix of coyness and sensuality in her expressions -- particularly in that photograph.

If this project succeeds -- and it would be wonderful if it did -- I hope she is a part of it.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005   #3
kirsten

I hope this magazine will be successful and will be the next MODE.
kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2005   #4
HSG
Administrator

Will there ever be another magazine like the original Mode? One wonders.

If readers care to go back and peruse the posts that are featured in the first archived section of this forum (January-March, 2004), they will find there a number of discussions pertaining to the content and composition of the original Mode, and why it was so utterly perfect--and by implication, why every magazine that has succeeded it has failed to meet its high standards.

Just recall some of Mode's most obvious strengths--strengths that none of Mode's illegitimate progeny have exhibited (at least, not yet):

-the use of true plus-size models (size 14 and up) of superlative beauty
-the complete absence of diet ads, gym-torture promotions, or articles advocating figure-diminishment of any kind
-alluring, sensual, daring, sexy, (yet chic,) fashion editorials
-the most feminine and attractive clothing that was then available for the fuller female figure
-a youthful spirit, aimed at readers in their twenties (which was simultaneously appealing to older readers--"the young, and the young at heart")
-a feeling of fun, of vibrant joie de vivre
-an intense and unapologetic celebration of pleasure, of every tasteful kind--and yes, we mean "tasteful" in all senses
-above all, a palpable and consistent expression of love towards the fuller female figure

Each of the magazines that have succeeded Mode has featured one or two of these qualities. But none have featured them all--not even close.

Let us hope that Mr. Debas's publication, or others like it, will someday fill the void that Mode left behind.

In the meantime, here at this Web site, we will always endeavour to celebrate Mode-worthy imagery, wherever we may find it.

Barbara Brickner looking ravishing at Happy-Size.de, Fall 2005:

Click to enlarge

(You may click on the image to view it at a larger size.)

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2005   #5
MelanieW

If you hadnt stated otherwise, I would have thought that that image of Barbara WAS from Mode. It is so demure, yet so sensual. It evokes that pleasurable mood that I always felt in Mode. And the photo of Kelsey conveys that same feeling, but in a different way.

These images both show what a plussize magazine could be. Figure has the size of the models just right, and I could forgive them for its layouts, which are not that exciting. But the diet ads totally ruin it for me, and I never buy it any more.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005   #6
Chad

Wow. That is yet another masterpiece (what else can you call it?) from Barbara. The effect is so relaxing and intimate, while that captivating come-hither glance adds just the right touch of simmering passion. It's true - this was a hallmark of the Mode style, in the magazine's glory days. Happy-Size is creating some incredible imagery.

I still find it nothing short of a miracle that Barbara is currently creating the most beautiful images of her entire illustrious career.

How fascinating that, with just a sleeveless dress, or a veiled hint of leg, plus-size models can generate more fascination that any modern models in completely vulgar displays. Another testament to the power of the true ideal.

And Kelsey's beauty is simply indescribable. She now vies with Barbara as having the shapeliest legs of any model in the industry.....
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005   #7
Micki

I would gladly pay a premium price for a magazine with such beautiful images of plus-size women. This could easily be marketed as an art/photography publication, as well as a fashion magazine, because the pictures are so appealing.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote