The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2009   #1
Hannah

Default ''Say No to Size Zero'' (campaign)

This is interesting. A model in the UK named Katie Green has not started a "Say No to Size Zero" campaign.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...o-campaign.html

As the article has it:

Quote:
Curvy Katie - who was once told to lose two stone [28 lbs] by a modelling agency - blames the fashion world for the rising number of young girls with eating disorders.

[T]here has been a 47 per cent increase of anorexia...in girls under 18 during the last three years.

In a recent survey, 75 per cent of teens said they felt they needed to lose weight after seeing snaps of skinny stars like Kate Moss.

Launching her 'Say No to Size Zero' campaign, Katie told The Sun: "After reading those shocking statistics, I knew I needed to do something.

"Eating disorders are a serious mental illness that affect 1.1 million people in the UK.

"This has been a passion of mine for a long time, especially after receiving emails from young girls who were suffering...

"We're doing a petition and if we get 20,000 people to sign, it will go forward to the Prime Minister. People can sign up on my website at www.katiegreenofficial.com.

"So with the support of the public, we can finally do something to end this vicious circle that has been going on for far too long.

"If I can save one person from an eating disorder then I have succeeded."

The brunette babe, 21, added: "I have no idea who finds these stick thin models attractive anyway. Every man I've spoken to love curves.

"Put it this way - I've never had any complaints!"

[One MP] said: "If Katie is regarded as two stone too heavy, then the world's gone totally mad.

"If the fashion industry is organised to celebrate the 'dangerously thin' look, it's no wonder thousands of people die from eating disorders in the UK every year."

The article comes with a picture:

It's definitely a commendable endeavour. I just wish that the model who was promoting it was fuller-figured herself. If only a plus-size model would start such a petition!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009   #2
M. Lopez

Default Re: ''Say No to Size Zero'' (campaign)

Here's the direct link to the petition page:

http://www.katiegreenofficial.com/petition.html

It sounds like an excellent item to sign:

Quote:
‘Say No To Size Zero’ Petition

This is a petition to ban all size zero models and models with an unhealthy BMI (below 18.5) from the fashion catwalks.

I want to put a stop to the fashion industry using size zero models or models with an unhealthy BMI (under 18.5) on the catwalk, in major advertising campaigns and in fashion in general. Having been told to lose weight myself, I feel that I have a duty to fight for the curvier woman. Fashion designers and clothing brands target young impressionable teenage girls and make them feel uncomfortable about their weight and this can often lead to eating disorders.

This petition is going to be presented to the Prime Minister and Parliament with the help of Liberal Democrat MP Lembit Opik, to try and have a policy put in place, ensuring that all models are fully health checked before undertaking any modelling assignment, including catwalk modelling. I will also be presenting this petition to various high street stores in the hope of them using 'plus size' models in their advertising and curvier mannequins in their window displays.
I especially like the final statement, about encouraging high-street stores to use plus-size models. That is the equally important corollary to banning size-zero models.

It's not enough for size 0s to be replaced by size 2s or 4s. Only when genuinely, visibly full-figured models appear widely in magazines and in commercial campaigns will the industry stop damaging the body image of young women, and begin fostering healthy self-esteem.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009   #3
Hannah

The story behind Katie Green's campaign is an interesting one. This article is kind of pointlessly gossipy, but it gives a more precise account of the circumstances that led this model to start this petition:

Quote:
Modelling sensation Katie Green dramatically quit her dream Wonderbra job after being told she was too f**. The sexy 30F was hired for the famous firm's real woman ads campaign but was then told to lose two stone [28 lbs]in weight.

It's sickening to think that any client would basically try to force a model to starve. That is, without exaggeration, a practically criminal act. It should be against any profession's most basic code of standards and practices. It's an attempt to put a girl's health at risk.

The article also includes a conversation between the Minister of Parliament who is backing the petition, and Ms. Green:

Quote:
LO: Not a single person I know has said to me that Katie looks f**. In fact it has been quite the opposite, they say she is beautiful, intelligent and great fun.

KG: I was extremely flattered because in the past it was just women who approached me on the topic, but [Minister of Parliament] Lembit came across, patted me on the back and said well done.

LO: The fact she was pretty much forced out of her job is disgraceful. I really admire the fact she wants to make people realise you don't have to starve yourself to become a model

It really is an appalling situation that this client told Ms. Green (who, as the pictures show, is closer to being underweight than curvy, let alone full-figured) to lose weight, let alone 28 lbs. She deserves a round of applause for rejecting such an absurd stipulation, and instead starting such a positive campaign.

If only all models would similarly reject calls by clients or bookers to starve themselves, the industry would be far less toxic than it is today. I hope that many young models will follow Ms. Green's example in the future.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009   #4
Kaitlynn

When I came across the following article about a model who has slammed- and I mean, really slammed- Karl Lagerfeld for his offensive comments, I knew I remembered her name from somewhere. Then I located this thread.

Here's the article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...urvy-women.html

Her critique of Lagerfeld is devastating:

Quote:
She blasted: "I'm in absolute shock at Karl Lagerfeld's comments. The guy is seriously deluded and irresponsible. He makes me sick.

"If he thinks the fashion industry is all about 'dreams and illusions' then he should go to an eating disorder ward at any hospital.

"That will show him how this fantasy fashion world he has helped build makes women seriously ill and fighting for their lives.

So true. That's the ultimate consequence of the so-called "illusions" that Lagerfeld and his ilk want to create- women suffering and even dying from self-imposed starvation.

The most appalling thing is, I doubt if even a trip to a hospital ward would persuade these designers to stop pushing anorexia as a standard of appearance. Their insistence on a skeletal look in the face of massive public criticism and condemnation from the medical community has proven that they just don't care whose lives they ruin. They only care about pushing their own warped vision, and are sociopathically indifferent the dead bodies and ruined lives that they leave in their wake.

Good for Katie Green for attempting to do something. More such efforts are needed- from everyone.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009   #5
Nazira

Quote:
"The guy is seriously deluded and irresponsible. He makes me sick. If he thinks the fashion industry is all about 'dreams and illusions' then he should go to the eating disorder ward at any hospital."

Thank God that someone has finally chastised Karl Lagerfeld for his grotesque comments on curvy women. Though I don't really believe that Katie Green at all qualifies as curvy, the fact that she is labeling size 0 for what it is, is a step forward. A lot of times the fashion industry excuses these corpse models because some of them might not have eating disorders. Whether the models themselves eat or not isn't the point. The fact is constantly viewing these images does cause eating disorders. Bravo to Katie Green for recognizing that.
Nazira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009   #6
HSG
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira
the fashion industry excuses these corpse models because some of them might not have eating disorders. Whether the models themselves eat or not isn't the point. The fact is constantly viewing these images does cause eating disorders.

Yes. That is precisely the point. The emphasis should not be exclusively on whether the models themselves are clinically anorexic, or merely look that way. If they are ill (and most of them appear to be), this is tragic, and shows the need for serious medical scrutiny of the fashion world. But what really matter is the damage that their images do to others--to women in general, and especially to young girls, who are the most vulnerable of all to thin-supremacist brainwashing.

Let's say that a model were immune to the effects of a certain narcotic. That still wouldn't make it acceptable for her to promote that narcotic. It would be illegal because of the effects of the drug on others, not on the model herself.

Likewise, anorexic imagery has been proven to have a toxic effect on society, and to ruin women's body image, so a model should not be allowed to create such imagery, whether she is personally immune to its effects or not (although very few actually are immune).

What distinguishes Green's campaign from similarly efforts is the that it doesn't just seek a (commendable) ban on size-0 models, but stresses the need for introducing plus-size models in their place. Simply replacing size 0s with size 2s or 4s would be no advance at all. But introducing size 16s instead of size 0s-6s would constitute real progress, and would genuinely improve the body image of the majority of women.

Courtney Maxwell, Australian model with BGM in Sydney, with very shapely measurements of 46-37-49, modelling for City Chic:

Beauty in full bloom.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote