The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st November 2009   #1
Hannah

Default Barbara: Holiday 2009 at Reitmans

This is nice to see - a new Barbara Brickner campaign, Reitmans' best since last year's Holiday promotion.

The photos are still shot against a bare white backdrop, unfortunately, but the fashions are much more attractive than those of the past couple of seasons. Reitmans always brings out some nice pieces for the holidays.

My favourite is this item, a feminine camisole. It shows Barbara looking buxom, with a curvy waist, and the colour is terrific on her:

These tops are quite attractive as well. Barbara's voluptuous figure makes all the difference, giving the pieces a sexy shape. And I love how voluminous her hair looks in the picture on the right:

The satin blouse is pretty too, if a bit formless, and I always love lacy tops. Both items would look better paired with skirts, though:

More pictures appear at the Reitmans site:

http://www.reitmans.com/en/style/co...n.cfm?brandID=2
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009   #2
MelanieW

Default Re: Barbara: Holiday 2009 at Reitmans

Hannah posted the finest images from the campaign so far, but here are two more:

Id like to see what the purple cami in the left picture looks like without the jacket covering it. I bet its a pretty item.

You can also see several of the images at a larger size in the online e-flyer:

http://www.reitmans.com/en/e-flyer/
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #3
Kaitlynn

Barbara is on the current Reitmans cover page. Her image is in rotation with two other models' pics.

It's a darkly dramatic pose, in keeping with the passionate deep-red lacy top. And I love the dramatic lighting. I would have preferred the top with a skirt, but still, it's a pretty item.

It's always a pleasure to see a plus-size model on the cover of a retailer's Web domain, especially when she's as beautiful as Barbara.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009   #4
vargas

It's always a joy to see Barbara. She's one of my favorite models, and she has such wonderfully classic looks. The purple and lacy dark-red tops especially look good on her. It seemed to me that for a while stores like Nordstrom would put her in more matronly clothes, and while she pulls it off because of her beauty, it's nice to see her in more alluring attire. I hope to see more of her modeling this kind of clothing in the future.
vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009   #5
HSG
Administrator

The partnership between Barbara and Reitmans remains one of the all-time greatest model/client pairings in the industry. Could any other model bring the company's fashions to life with Mrs. Brickner's inimitable beauty and style?

Here is a picture that appeared in the first Holiday 2009 flyer. The outfit is basic, but observe how Barbara's graceful pose endows it with femininity and, thanks to her bewitching eyes, considerable sensuality.

Barbara also appeared in a full-page image in said flyer. This full-length version shows the model's confident pose,

and when we come in closer, we see Barbara's thrillingly vain expression. This is when her beauty is most dramatic--when she seems most conscious of her own allure, scrutinizing the viewer with an almost imperious look, pleased to see his worshipful reaction to her attractiveness. The voluptuous volume of her tresses heightens the regal effect.

Barbara creates a very different impression in this brand-new sleepwear image, released just yesterday. Here, fittingly, she seems more relaxed, in keeping with the attire.

Yet she still has a mischievous look in her eyes, an alluring, feline glance. Though loose-fitting, the outfit conveys the luxuriance of her figure.

The company's latest flyer comes with an interesting surprise--the first-ever Reitmans appearance of Wilhelmina beauty Melissa King. She is situated among a group of straight-size models, and unfortunately, the dark lighting and black attire may have been chosen to de-emphasize her figure. But when we brighten the image, we see the gorgeous fullness of Mrs. King's lavish hips and thighs. It is a pleasure to see that Melissa's acclaimed fullness in the recent Just My Size runway show was not a one-off, but represented the authentic beauty of her current figure.

A larger version of the image shows how the model's generous legs fill out her slacks, giving them a rounded, womanly shape. It's a shame that Reitmans didn't photograph Melissa separately, so that her figure would have been unobscured by other models.

The most gorgeous image of Barbara in the entire Holiday promotion is the following, which shows her modelling the popular lace top. Here, the fullness of Barbara's physique is especially evident, from her buxom contours to her sumptuous waist to her womanly hips. Interestingly, she seems happiest in this image, where her figure appears most generous. She appears comfortable and relaxed, like a goddess who has allowed herself to indulge freely in holiday pleasures. Barbara has always possessed the definitive plus-size figure, visibly lavish and curvy in every aspect, and nowhere are her proportions better displayed than here.

A look through the Reitmans site turns up yet another casual image of Barbara. Here too she seems relaxed, and appealingly self-satisfied.

Click to enlarge

The abundant tresses cascading over her shoulders add to the leisurely quality of the image. No other model has such an array of warm, soothing expressions as Barbara does. Her soft looks and comfortable demeanour constitute the very essence of happiness and pleasure, and viewers cannot help but feel gladdened when looking upon her. The effect is the very opposite of the repellent, ugly "edginess" of straight-size fashion--and infinitely preferable. For models to be abrasive or aggressive is easy (and pointless); for goddesses to be gentle, yielding, welcoming, and comforting--that is the true plus-size model's art. To look at Barbara in this image, one thinks of . . . home, and the soft embrace of a beloved.

Click to enlarge

Kudos to Reitmans for featuring the work of the consistently popular Barbara Brickner in its holiday promotion, and for enlisting another genuinely full-figured model as a supplement. All plus-size retailers should take a cue from this company's size-positive booking policies when shooting their own campaigns.

Last edited by HSG : 22nd November 2009 at 08:30.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote