The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd November 2009   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Doutzen Kroes: curvy supermodel?

Many are the minus-size models whom we would wish to see blossom into full-figured goddesses. Indeed, all waifs would look better if they reached double-digit dress sizes, but some girls are particularly suitable to becoming representatives of timeless beauty.

Who, you ask? Those who, even in a malnourished state, already possess round, feminine facial features.

In Shannon Marie's straight-size work, her dazzling beauty was already evident. The images from her early career clearly indicated that if she were to become a plus-size model, she would be the most beautiful woman of all time. And that's exactly what happened.

If there is anyone among the current crop of runway mainstays who similarly has the potential to become a legendary beauty if she became full-figured, it is Dutch supermodel and Victoria's Secret icon Doutzen Kroes.

Thanks to her sweet, innocent facial features, Miss Kroes may be the only girl ever to work for VS who genuinely warrants the moniker that the company bestows upon its starlets: angel.

But before you get too excited, we regret to say that, no, the potentially lovely Miss Kroes has not yet transformed herself into a plus-size goddess. If only. Such a transformation would be nothing less than a miracle, for a Doutzen with Classical proportions would be one of the loveliest of all models.

However, as straight-size girls go, this Dutch charmer has recently become ever-so-slightly less emaciated, ever-so-slightly fuller. And the results are wondrous.

Click to enlarge

Suddenly, the model had developed thighs rather than sticks, curves rather than angles, and even displays a bust (a natural one--making her one of the few straight-size models of whom this can be said). Notice the attractive curve, albeit tiny, along her side and back. Also, observe that her clavicle is submerged in flesh, not protruding. Her ribs are thankfully hidden from view. How many straight-size models possess any of these characteristics?

Click to enlarge

But let's not kid ourselves. Obviously she is still extremely thin, and her figure cannot legitimately be praised as being "soft." Nevertheless, while her arms are painfully narrow, she does display a trace of shape in her thighs, and her hips are at least sufficiently full that her swimsuit--cut in an highly alluring style--presses into her physique in an appealing manner.

Click to enlarge

If Doutzen's current proportions constituted the absolute minimum size for straight models, the fashion industry would have much less to answer for. There is no reason whatsoever for any models to be skinner than this. At this size, Doutzen is thin enough for all but the most curve-o-phobic tastes. Only someone with an anorexia fetish could possibly wish a girl to be any smaller. In these images, Doutzen possesses only the subtlest traces of femininity--but they are there. She is a woman; not androgynous; not a corpse. True, she isn't curvy enough to fill her bathing suit as well as a plus-size model could, but she does give the garment a semblance of shape. Also, her figure is much improved from the unpleasantly hard and over-exercised appearance that she usually exhibits. It is not nearly soft enough or full enough to embody the Classical ideal, of course, but neither is it inhuman.

Click to enlarge

Doutzen is to models what Hilary Duff is to actresses--still exceedingly thin, but at least marginally fuller than the anorexic standard. The fashion world should be regulated to set her proportions as the minimum size for all non-plus models. Then, full-figured models could begin at a truly curvaceous size (over a 14W). The result would be a significantly lower incidence of eating disorders--both among models, and among the general public.

Regrettably, though, these images are probably just an aberrant blip in Doutzen's career, and in her next shoot, she will likely return to being conventionally underweight. But what a blessing it would be if, instead, she were to blossom into a plus-size goddess. She would then be one of the loveliest models of all time.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009   #2
Kristina

Send a message via AIM to Kristina Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina
Default Re: Doutzen Kroes: curvy supermodel?

Someday she'll have a baby, and then she'll have all the classical softness and fullness she needs. Have you seen Adriana Lima lately? That Victoria's Secret Angel is due to give birth next month, and she's gorgeous. Pregnancy (or rather the fullness that comes with it) is the best beautifier there is.
Kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009   #3
HSG
Administrator

Default Adriana Lima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina
Have you seen Adriana Lima lately? That Victoria's Secret Angel is due to give birth next month, and she's gorgeous.

So true. Adriana Lima, while not as lovely as Doutzen Kroes, has ever been one of the few straight-size models whom aficionados of timeless beauty could admire, because of her round facial features. The fact that her figure was so emaciated was extremely regrettable.

While pregnancy, regrettably, hasn't made Adriana's limbs any rounder, the weight gain has remarkably beautified her already pretty face, as the following recent candid photographs reveal.

Observe how much rounder her features are, how much softer and more feminine. Indeed, Adriana now has a lovelier face than many plus-size models.

But the image that demonstrates just how attractive she has become, thanks to the sweet self-indulgence that she has permitted herself, is the following. The gorgeous curve under her chin is overwhelmingly sensual, transforming her into a goddess. This is what any true "supermodel" should look like--having the soft fullness of face that makes a girl genuinely beautiful. Her thick tresses frame her features in an alluring manner.

But if the previous image is a study in pure facial beauty, then the following picture is a vivid demonstration of the intoxicatingly vain attitude that all full-figured goddesses should possess. Here, Adriana is in pure supermodel mode--but notice the richness of her features--a lavish look that only uninhibited self-indulgence can create. Even so, she has adopted the signature steamy expression that our culture uniquely associates with objects of desire. The result is that she seems to be luxuriating in her newfound opulence, saying "Look at me--I am irresistible because I have allowed myself to indulge." If only all voluptuous vixens felt this way about themselves.

Adriana's current look reminds one of Catherine Zeta-Jones, whose weight gain during her pregnancy also transformed her (for a brief period) into a true goddess. How sad that, like Catherine, Adriana will undoubtedly become rail-thin immediately after giving birth. But these images testify that, like Doutzen Kroes, Adriana Lima would be one of the most beautiful women of all time, if only she were to blossom permanently into a true plus-size model.

(Incidentally, isn't it remarkable how much Adriana and Kelly S. look alike? Kelly, however, is definitely the prettier of the two.)

Last edited by HSG : 10th February 2014 at 20:07.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009   #4
Emily

Default Re: Doutzen Kroes: curvy supermodel?

Doutzen is easily the most beautiful of all straight-size models, not that she has any competition among her emaciated rivals. Her current measurements, as advertised by one of her agencies, Paparazzi Models, are 35-24-37. These are tiny measurements, but much superior to the truly anorexic frames of all other so-called "high fashion" or VS models.

I was looking at Doutzen's images and I kept thinking..."I've seen her before on this forum." And believe it or not, it's true. Miss Kroes appeared in the very popular "Old World" catalogue that was published by Saks Fifth Avenue a few years ago:

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/boar...id=175#poststop

This was the first major campaign by any retailer I know of that used a pure Old World aesthetic in everything but its model choices -- although even then, Doutzen's lovely face exhibited a true Nordic European beauty.

I've found several larger versions of the images from that catalogue. Alas, Doutzen was not even as curvy then as now, but she did have facial beauty, and this remains possibly the most appealing fashion campaign I've ever seen in terms of setting and overall aesthetic. It's a glimpse of what our culture could look like, if it hadn't been for WWII and the social decay that started in the '60s.

I adore this picture of Doutzen, smiling prettily, with linen in her hands, celebrating the traditional distaff arts.

Like a woodland nymph:

I especially like this picture of Doutzen holding a baked pie. I would like to believe that it was her enjoyment of desserts like these that helped her to gain the slight trace of curviness that she currently exhibits -- and will enable her to become even shapelier.

I love how this picture juxtaposes Doutzen's beauty with items of traditional needlecraft:

Lovely against this golden field of wheat:

Adorable with her teddy bears:

If Miss Kroes were to shoot this same campaign right now, she would be even closer to fitting the timeless feminine ideal -- still too slim, but much closer.

It's too much to hope for, to dream of Doutzen becoming a plus-size model. If she were to blossom into a curvy goddess, she'd be second only to Shannon Marie as embodying the loveliest model transformation of all time.

And this Saks campaign remains a shining example of what an ideal fashion promotion for Classically beautiful plus-size models should look like. What a shame that there is currently no magazine for full-figured fashion that is governed by this timeless aesthetic. If there were, it would be the finest fashion publication ever.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote