The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2009: Jaunary - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th November 2009   #1
Chad

Default Gemma Ward

We were speaking of Doutzen Kroes and the (impossible, never-going-to-happen) hope that she might become a plus-size model. If Doutzen is number one among models whom we'd like to see fuller-figured, second would have to be Gemma Ward.

Gemma's name came up on this forum early this year, when beach images of the model were posted showing her with a skinny but ever-so-slightly shapely figure. Well, just the other day there was some fashion gossip about Gemma, saying the following:

Quote:
I think it's very sad that Gemma gave up on modeling. She's a very beautiful woman and I think she could make a name for herself in the plus-size niche. You know, give Crystal Renn a run for her money. I would love to see curvier girls in fashion and Gemma Ward represents curvy women like no other.
I agree! Like Doutzen, Gemma has prettier facial features than Crystal. With her round, doll-like face, Gemma would be amazing as a full-figured model.

So I started looking for photos of the new, fuller-figured Gemma, but all I could find were these, which I naturally took to represent the waif-size Gemma, and kept looking for pictures of her new, curvier figure.

But no. Get this - these are the pictures of the supposedly larger Gemma (!). Yes, even though she looks extremely thin in these pictures, this is supposedly a look that makes her too curvy for fashion!

Huh? It boggles the mind that anyone could consider this girl too large for anything. Rather, she is still too thin. The truth is, she is still underweight, especially for her height. If she were to blossom into a true plus size, at least a size 14, she would be gorgeous - beautiful enough to rival any model, ever. But as she is now, she is simply an exceedingly thin person, thinner even than Doutzen Kroes, as far as I can tell.

The warped standards of the fashion industry never cease to be appalling. If a girl is not literally anorexic-looking, genuinely a walking bag of bones, they can't stand it. Their perverted aesthetic needs to be swept away completely, and a sane vision of beauty restored.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009   #2
Hannah

Default Re: Gemma Ward

A few more images of Miss Ward in New York surfaced today. She is very, very thin, but she does at least have an attractively natural trace of texture on her legs.

The dimpled flesh is a pretty, normal trait for girls, and I hope that young women who themselves possess this characteristic are encouraged by seeing a supermodel displaying the same attribute.

In case you're thinking what I was thinking, yes, those pictures are of Gemma. The same photographer caught her later in the same outfit, except that by then she had donned leggings.

Another set of pics caught her at the airport. With her endearing, round face, she was born to be a plus-size model. Kelsey Olson has a similar look (except that Kelsey is even prettier, both in face and, especially, in figure).

I know that it's never going to happen - Gemma will never be plus-size. She would have to become much, much curvier/fuller than she is today to be a plus-size model. She is still exceedingly thin. But what a blessing it would be for size celebration if it were to happen...
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009   #3
M. Lopez

Default Re: Gemma Ward

Here's something rather interesting. Gemma Ward recently announced that she will be returning to modelling in the future; however, fashion insiders assume that this means that she will again starve herself into corpse-like emaciation.

However, one company is seeking to book her with her current figure. They want her on condition that she doesn't lose any weight:

http://fashionista.com/2009/11/fros...s_gemma_now.php

The text:

Quote:
Frost French, Sadie Frost and Jemima French’s contemporary clothing line, want Gemma Ward for an ad campaign.

But they want her now, at this weight. Not later, when she’s lost it, or when she decides to get back into modeling. They want a real girl, albeit a really, really, ridiculously good-looking girl, to be the face of their brand.

It sounds like the cherry atop their rebirth sundae.

Sounds like the balls in Gemma’s court, so cue the online encouragement please.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, it's thrilling that a label wants her current self, not an anorexic-looking version. On the other hand, Gemma right now is still extremely thin, not even faux-plus (let alone full-figured), so this isn't the "plus-size model Gemma" that we're all dreaming about.

Still, it's nice to hear that at least one fashion label wants to employ a girl with a trace of a figure, rather than a starved version of that model.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote