The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th October 2005   #1
MelanieW

Default Alba "hopes to encourage girls not to diet"

Here is another curious article in which an extremely skinny celebrity (Jessica Alba) calls herself "voluptuous", and pro-curvy -

http://people.monstersandcritics.co...ter_1055270.php

Even if anybody takes underweight actresses at their word when they say things like this, I dont understand how they can really believe they can be positive role models for body image when they are so thin. If they actually were full-figured, like the few celebrities who are actually do have curves - Christina Schmidt, Raven-Symone, Charlotte Church (and of course the true plussize models) - then their words would have more meaning.

BUT, it is still better to have a star making statements like this, saying that she "hopes she can encourage younger girls not to diet", instead of pushing methods of weight torture.

In fact, its better to have skinny celebrities making pro-plus statements, than curvy celebrities pushing diet plans - although that is a pretty sad choice.

We need 100% positive statements and images, instead of the never-ending mixed messages.

Anyway, here is the full text, from the link above -

Jessica Alba wants to be a role model for curvy women
By WENN
Oct 17, 2005, 19:00 GMT

Screen siren Jessica Alba wants to be a role model for curvy women, because she's proof you don't have to be skinny to be sexy.

The 24-year-old actress is proud of her voluptuous figure and hopes she can encourage younger girls not to diet.

She says, "At the end of the day I just had to think that girls who have curves and aren't the skinniest things in the world are going to feel more comfortable seeing me as the main character than someone else.

"So I had to just think that maybe I would help young girls with their body image."
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005   #2
Pippa

Default Re: Alba "hopes to encourage girls not to diet"

I have seen that girl in person and she may have a bust, but she is not truly voluptuous!!! She is a Hollywood-thin size 4-6 with a C-cup, if she's lucky.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005   #3
Erica

Sadly, most Hollywood actresses don't even have enough 'meat' to fill a 6:

http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues...03whosnews.html

If the link doesn't work, here's the pasted version of the article. This question appeared in USA WEEKEND magazine. Even though this question is dated, August 3, 2003 to be exact, I think this info is still very relavant to the 'ideals' that Hollywood has.

A recent magazine article praised such stars as Kate Winslet, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Lopez and Halle Berry for being "full-figured" and "curvy." How does that translate into specific dress sizes?
Georgia Wong, Corte Madera, Calif.

Smaller than the words suggest. Most of Hollywood's "curvy" women don't wear above a size 4. "The average woman makes my clients look like toothpicks," says stylist Phillip Bloch, who works with stars such as Berry, Beyoncé Knowles, and Salma Hayek. Of the women he dresses, just Jennifer Tilly and Faye Dunaway wear a 6 or 8, he reveals. But he says his clients have "the things that make girls girls." Stylists actually prefer full-figured gals, even though Hollywood designers encourage women to squeeze it all into size 2 and 4 samples. "The old-school girls like Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth and Dorothy Dandridge were curvy," Bloch says. "These new girls, like Reese, Gwyneth and Brittany Murphy, aren't so curvy. If you ask any man, he'll say curvy women will never go out of style."

Freddie Prince Jr. stated in his interview on Good Morning America earlier this month that if his date, "didn't eat dinner on the first date there wasn't a second." Nice message, but look who he married. Sarah Michelle Gellar, one of the skinniest women I've ever seen. Arg, it makes me mad. I'm just happy that some of our plus size goddesses haven't fallen for the hype of dimisishing their size.
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005   #4
HSG
Administrator

Kudos to Mr. Prinze for making such an admission. If a greater number of popular male actors went on record with statements such as those, they could do much to redress the damage inflicted by the thin-supremacist media. Contrary to popular belief, many men share his opinion (as discussed in a recent thread on this forum), but few ever dare to express it.

However, it is certainly regrettable that 99% of the actresses who are touted as "curvaceous" are anything but. And this, incidentally, is another reason why the use of terms such as "plus-size" and "full-figured" is so essential. Because these words have a specific definition within the fashion industry (size 14+, and soft, rather than hyper-aerobicized), they give a fairly precise idea of what the public is seeking, when it asks for more non-thin actresses. Terms like "curvy" and "voluptuous," although inherently positive, are so ambiguous that they can be appropriated by anyone to describe practically any size, and any figure type.

Still, one has to commend anyone who strikes a blow against the diet and weight-control industries--which are the most pernicious forces in contemporary society, in terms of their effects on young women. To paraphrase a well-known saying, "the enemy of our enemy is our friend."

Ms. Alba and other actresses who have adopted the curvaceous label also deserve praise for seeking positive publicity rather than notoriety (the latter having become the P.R. mode of choice in the celebrity world for the past several years, until it finally backfired in the case of Kate Moss). And to have actresses allowing their curvaceousness rather than their thinness to define their aesthetic image does indicate some progress in redirecting societal preferences towards more generously-proportioned figures. Better to have actresses seeking recognition for their fullness rather than their gauntness.

Let's just hope that this is a step towards greater success for truly curvaceous actresses.

Christina Schmidt in a midriff-baring top, in an unused scene from Degrassi: Season Two:

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote