The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th January 2010   #1
Chad

Default Gabourey Sidibe: ''I hate yoga''

Gabourey Sidibe isn't really germane to the topic of this site, as she falls into the category of "real woman full-figured celebrity" as opposed to "voluptuous ingenue full-figured celebrity," but in a new article, she has a quote that deserves mention here:

Quote:
'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe says she feels like a model after a photo shoot for Bazaar but adds in the interview that she detests yoga so much that if it were a person she would have to hurt it. She joked in the interview, "I hate yoga so much. Like, if yoga was a person, I'd stab them."
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! I have to admit, that's pretty funny.

But it's more than a throwaway comment. How welcome it is to hear a plus-size female celebrity openly scorning exercise-torture. Many full-figured stars seem to feel compelled to try to justify or excuse themselves in their interviews by reciting their self-torture routines, basically saying, "Yes, I'm plus-size, but it's okay because I swim like Michael Phelps and hold the world record in the marathon and spend 12 hours a day in the gym," etc. etc.

What a sad message that sends - as if they're doing penance, or asking for forgiveness from the media for being curvy.

Instead, having a plus-size female star mocking exercise is most refreshing. There's something unapologetic about it. It would be wonderful to hear more celebrities brushing off this seeming need to excuse themselves by listing their exercise-penance, and instead simply saying that they enjoy the good life; they love relaxing, being indolent, and being beautiful.

- - - -

Incidentally, though, is it awful to admit that I prefer the Dakota Fanning V Magazine cover to Sidibe's? It has nothing to do with size, of course. It's just the better picture of the two (and remember, it's a headshot). If Dakota were the size 20something, and Sidibe were the size 0, I'd still prefer the Dakota Fanning cover (even more so, in fact). But I really wish V had put Candice's image on its cover, as it's by far the best photo in the magazine.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default The Beauty of Idleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Many full-figured stars seem to feel compelled to try to justify or excuse themselves in their interviews by reciting their self-torture routines.

What a sad message that sends - as if they're doing penance, or asking for forgiveness from the media for being curvy.

It would be wonderful to hear more celebrities simply saying that they enjoy the good life; they love relaxing, being indolent, and being beautiful.

Exactly so. As we noted in our thread about the medieval romance Le Roman de la Rose, the most gorgeous female character in the poem is the allegorical figure of Idleness, a fair-featured, full-figured goddess of "beauty rare," who is "little used to business" (i.e., exertion), who says that she has "no care except to tress and comb / My hair, amuse myself, and take mine ease," and who "dreamed of nothing, night and morn, / But how her body to adorn." Yet the narrator who meets her reflects that:

Much doubt I, if since Time had birth
A fairer dame hath trod the earth
With body better made or form more fair.

To the poet, the most attractive goddess of all time (with the most attractive figure and physique) is one who expressly avoids exertion of any kind and instead enjoys leisure. Her very indolence, which has rendered her figure soft and full, is what has given it its supremely feminine beauty.

Paradoxical as it may seem to us today (brainwashed as we are by exercise-torture propaganda), in any century prior to the twentieth, ideal feminine beauty meant as soft and untoned a physique as possible, one that was acquired through sweet idleness and generous self-indulgence.

These are natural feminine inclinations, and if modern women would stop punishing themselves and trying to torture themselves into androgynous hardness, and instead embrace their naturally full figures, and their innate tendency towards ease and relaxation, then their lives could be as blissful as is that of Idleness in the medieval poem: "A joyful time-- / A year-long, carefree month of May."

Breathtaking Kelsey Olson (Dorothy Combs/Heffner, size 16) showcasing intimate apparel better than any other goddess ever could, her beauty heightened by the photograph's theme of sensual repose:

- John Frederick Lewis, The Siesta

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote