The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th February 2010   #1
Emily

Default Chinese beauty amid blooming flowers

I realize that this site discourages the posting of faux-plus models, but I hope I'll be allowed an exception in this case, for a couple of reasons.

1. This site is always searching for any traces of plus-size beauty in the Far East, to give girls of East Asian descent some much-deserved representation.

2. These images vividly illustrate the principles of the recent "Natural Ideal" post, and the wardrobe styling is gorgeous.

- - - -

Furong Jiejie, a.k.a. "Sister Furong," is a minor female celebrity in China, who, while barely even faux-plus, has been widely criticized for being "chubby," "plump," etc. (as if those were negative terms). Remember, in East Asia, what constitutes curvy is far more minimal than in the West.

As for the breathtaking setting of these images, one of the articles from which I sourced them states:

Quote:
The county of Luoping in eastern Yunnan is noted for its beautiful scenery in spring, when its fields of canola flowers are in full bloom, surrounding the area's mountains with a sea of golden flowers to spectacular effect.

Bringing the two together was an absolute stroke of genius on the part of the Luoping County Tourism Bureau.

Isn't it stunning to see the ocean of yellow flowers stretching off into the distance, with the curvy girl in the foreground?

The dress is enchantingly feminine, and although this isn't a fashion shoot per se, there's no doubt that the context makes it especially attractive. The setting echoes the natural, curvy beauty of the model, and vice versa.

I love the picture of the model ensconced amid the flowers, and I adore the editorial touch of making the blossoms into a garlands, necklaces, and bracelets. This is probably my favourite picture in the series.

What a charming, girlish pose.

It's unlikely, but I almost wonder if someone associated with the making of this campaign doesn't know the Judgment of Paris. After all, with the curvy model, the setting, and the wardrobe, it looks like it was created expressly for this site.

This picture reminds me of a well-known image of Valerie biting on her collar.

Although she's thin by plus-size standards, the model's poses are beautiful, and emphasize what curves she has.

The fields stretching off into the distance, the mountains, the open sky all give the images an epic quality, much as they exemplify the aesthetic of the Beautiful.

Another dramatic vista:

The official Luoping site includes three images from the campaign. This one is especially dramatic.

A sensual glimpse of decolletage. The pictures have the same effect that was described in the "Natural Ideal" post, in that the idyllic settings render the sensuality soft and gentle, not in any way risque.

This image is cute and adorable.

I find all of the images lovely. The best ones convey the impression of looking into a dream world, seeing a vision of heaven. I wish a Judgment of Paris favourite like Kelsey or Kailee had appeared the pictures, but at the same time, it's nice to have some Far Eastern representation on this forum. If there were a plus-size goddess of Oriental descent (perhaps the recently noted Hint Style model?), she would look stunning in these locations.

And bravo to whoever put this campaign together for selecting such an attractive feminine dress. Plus-size retailers around the world could derive much inspiration, and take many cues, from these fine pictures.

http://www.luoping.gov.cn/html/lpyw...02/08-2830.html
http://en.kunming.cn/index/content/...t_2081075_2.htm
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010   #2
Meredith

Default Plus-size pageant in Singapore

This topic is reasonably closely related to add to this thread. I came across an article about a plus-size pageant in Singapore, and thought it would be worth posting here. Plus-size pageants are very common in North America and Europe, but in East Asia they are very rare.

The article appears here:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breakin...ory_513231.html

Horrible title, and not significant, except for this statement from the organizer, who says:

Quote:
This pageant will redefine the meaning of beauty. There are many good-looking plus-size women in Singapore and this is a chance for them to show people they have what it takes to be a beauty queen.

The two pictured candidates are reasonably photogenic, authentically full-figured, and nicely dressed.

The contestants offer affirmative statements about being curvy. The lady on the left muses:

Quote:
Being a plus-size: 'I love and I accept the way I look. Well, I can't complain as I have fuller breasts and I'm a lot curvier than most women. I have everything in abundance, including my sense of humour.'

The girl on the right comments:

Quote:
Why she joined the pageant: 'I want to show people that plus-size women are just as confident and pretty in their own way. I hope to be a plus-size model.'

'I thought I would be happy being a medium size but I wasn't. The smaller clothes didn't look good on me and I didn't want to eat popiah for the rest of my life to maintain the weight.

'I was miserable. I slowly regained my weight. Today, I eat what I want and I'm at peace with myself.'

Hopefully, this pageant represents the leading edge of a gradual movement toward greater East Asian acceptance of fuller figures.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote