The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th April 2010   #1
M. Lopez

Default Size-positive graphics

I love this graphic. I came across it the other day and simply had to share it here.

Isn't it witty? "Funny because it's true," as they say, because diet-starvation really is a kind of jail, a self-imposed incarceration. And what's more, it's the worst type of imprisonment, the barbaric sort, where the inmates are denied all but the most meagre rations.

The caption is nearly identical to the long-standing mantra of this site, that goddesses should "eat whatever they want, and as much as they want." And the Monopoly image shows what the escape from dieting really means: it IS freedom, liberation.

Here's the source of the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29548647@N00/4406309298/
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010   #2
B. R.

Default Re: ''Get out of diet, free'' (graphic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
And what's more, it's the worst type of imprisonment, the barbaric sort, where the inmates are denied all but the most meagre rations.

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way before, but it makes sense. It truly saddens me when I hear about models who barely exist on crackers and water, because this brutal industry insists that this makes them more "attractive." That's actually worse than the old "bread and water" prison rations!
B. R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010   #3
Karsten

Default Re: Size-positive graphics

Just to lighten the mood, I thought I'd share this interesting image from a Web page about crossing-walk signs from around the world. In Holland, apparently, instead of stick figures, the crossing lights show a full-figured female body:

According to the source page:

Quote:
Utrecht, in the Netherlands, features Sophie, the pony-tailed female walk signal. Proponents of female walk signals say people pay more attention to the curvier figures.

I'm not surprised that they do! "Sophie" has a very shapely, full-figured silhouette. Men will take a good look in order to admire her, and women -- well, I bet they get an esteem boost every time they glance at her.

This is a lovely example of how one can create a truly pro-curvy culture in every detail, even down to the visual iconography, the optical environment, that people see all around themselves every day.
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010   #4
Kaitlynn

I stumbled across this vintage ad and enjoyed it, and had to share it here. I love the caption: "Skinny girls don't have oomph!" It's so true! Curvier girls have so much more of that alluring X-factor.

Better yet, the ad doesn't just point out the deficiencies of underweight girls, but positive describes the superior beauty of voluptuous vixens: "It takes those extra lbs. of solid flesh to 'bring out' your natural curves.'" I love the idea of "extra lbs." being identified as something that enhances beauty, that is necessary for beauty. This direct connection, more weight=more beauty, is a bold one, and I'd love to see this idea deployed more often in the media.

I just wish that the girl in the ad were more authentically plus-size, but still, the message is terrific.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010   #5
Hannah

Okay, I'll grant that this is a little bit obvious, but I confess that I still found it funny. It's a panel from an online comic strip called Pearls Before Swine:

Pearls Before Swine

If nothing else, it shows that whereas the term "supermodel" once connoted a woman of phenomenal beauty, now it is a term of derision that's understood to refer to someone who looks deathly ill and starving.

I don't see how "high fashion" benefits itself from being seen this way.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010   #6
Emily

I'm delighted to be able to add an image to this thread.

I stumbled across this article in the New York Observer about a poster that is part of a forthcoming auction of Art Nouveau works at a New York gallery:

http://www.observer.com/2010/culture/art-nouveau-expose

The poster in question is a daring depiction of full-figured beauty from the reverse. It reminded me of the Mayara Russi back-view swimwear shot that was just posted in another thread.

She exhibits a generously rounded figure and full thighs. The article's description of the work is very positive, and in particular, it's wonderful to see the word "beautiful" associated with the phrase "quite curvy."

Quote:
The nearly 10-foot-tall poster, by the well-known Belgian poster designer Henri Privat-Livemont, depicts a beautiful (and quite curvy) woman swathed in a transparent gossamer veil and holding up a tambourine.

It seems the print equivalent of a John William Godward painting. Naturally, the proportions that the poster depicts were acknowledged as ideally beautiful in the late 19th century, when the work was created:

Quote:
The image, somewhat racy for it's time, was a hit a century ago. British art critic Edgar Wenlock wrote in 1900 that a discussion of Belgian art was not complete without Livemont's "huge poster of 'Rajah Teas and Coffees.'" He said of the work: "The whole forms a glowing and insistent mass of colour."

At least not everyone in New York thinks that women the size of emaciated modern ballerinas are still too curvy...

Last edited by HSG : 5th May 2013 at 11:23.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote