The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2010   #1
Hannah

Default Melissa King for Addition-Elle

Like many, I was hopeful but also a bit skeptical when the Addition-Elle representatives mentioned to the webmaster that they had heard their customers' wishes to see fuller-figured models.

But it seems that they are as good as their word, because the new Addition-Elle cover page shows size-18 model Melissa King. Doesn't she look fantastic? What a pleasure it is to see an honest-to-goodness plus-size model.

I would have preferred the picture to be in a lush outdoor setting than against a bare wall, but still, I really appreciate the image because it acknowledges and celebrates the newfound fullness of Melissa's figure - especially her curvy hips, and even her shapely arm.

If this is a sign of things to come at Addition-Elle, I'm really encouraged. I hope that we get to see other gorgeous curvy models like Kelsey Olson, Charlotte Coyle, etc. modelling for AE in the future too.

http://www.1-plus.com/additionelle.htm
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010   #2
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Melissa King for Addition-Elle

Melissa graces the new Addition-Elle cover page as well, although the previous cover picture was a bit bolder and more striking:

More enticingly, she has four pages in the new AE flyer. I really love the image on the left. It shows off her full, shapely legs and curvy hips- very luscious- and although what she's wearing is dubbed a sleepshirt, it kind of looks like a summery dress to me. I really like it.

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...36VVviewcat.htm
http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...37VVviewcat.htm

She also appears in two new summer outfits:

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...26VVviewcat.htm
http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...27VVviewcat.htm

The longer hair is a great look for Melissa, and it's so wonderful to see how curvy she has become. As a result, she's doing the best work of her career. Bravo to Addition-Elle for listening to their customers and beginning to use bigger models. I hope this trend continues. There are many Judgment of Paris favourites whom I'd love to see shooting for the Addition-Elle/MXM brands.

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...98VVviewcat.htm
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010   #3
Hannah

I was browsing through the Addition-Elle site and found several more images of Melissa that I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

First, a larger version of that terrific sleepwear picture, with Melissa showing off her stunning legs on the relevant landing page:

Next, a new photo - looking gorgeous in a sleeveless dress that shows off her shapely arms.

A big picture on the Boutiques landing page:

This photo appears on the background of the "About Addition-Elle" page:

It's so encouraging to see that AE is once again at the forefront of the industry, boldly but pleasingly nudging standards back towards a celebration of genuinely curvy feminine figures.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010   #4
HSG
Administrator

In our recent post about the launch of the Jessica Biffi line, we transcribed our conversation with the Merchandise Manager and Marketing VP of Addition-Elle and noted their receptiveness to the idea that the public yearned to see fuller-figured plus-size models. We rather optimistically wrote:

Each branch of the Reimtans group has proven, over the years, to be considerably more receptive to the wishes of its customers than other companies tend to be, so if there is any plus-fashion entity that may improve the standard size of its models in the near future, it is this size-positive firm.

This optimism was not misplaced, as it turns out, for the current Addition-Elle flyer features size-18 model Melissa King (Wilhelmina NY).

But what is just as exciting as the fact that AE is using a size-18 model is how they are photographing her. They are not shooting her to diminish her size, but to acknowledge and even celebrate it.

In addition to the photographs above, Melissa also appears in the current Addition-Elle print circular. One pages shows another view of Mrs. King in her sleeveless summer dress:

Click to enlarge

But the photo that truly stands out as the finest of this campaign, and one of the most size-positive images that any company has ever produced, is the following breathtaking masterpiece.

Seldom, if ever, have we seen a model's gorgeous waist so boldly and unapologetically celebrated. Melissa's midsection looks soft and seductively untoned, luxuriously full. The sight of her curves swelling over the edge of her intimate apparel is overwhelmingly alluring, testifying to the model's self-indulgent nature. Her pose is completely relaxed. She is not attempting to hide her sensual waist in any way; rather, she is free and uninhibited. She knows that the viewer will find her unconstrained fullness irresistible. Hers is a truly Rubenesque, well-fed beauty, a purely natural attractiveness. She is bewitchingly buxom as well, and while a more voluminous hairstyle might have given the image even more glamour, the length of her tresses, and the sight of them flowing over her shoulders and drawing the eye downward toward the bust, adds extra frisson. She creates the impression of a goddess who knows that she can let go and eat whatever she wants, and will be all the more beautiful because of it.

Click to enlarge

Bravo to Addition-Elle for featuring a genuinely full-figured model and for celebrating true plus-size beauty. Kudos as well to Melissa King for not diminishing her curves, but enhancing them. Images such as this are exactly what the public has been waiting to see. Let us hope that other retailers will follow this stellar example.

- Click here to view Addition-Elle flyer

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010   #5
M. Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG

Click to enlarge

This picture is stunning - truly stunning. Melissa's figure is absolutely gorgeous. I had almost given up hope of ever seeing such a size-positive image from a plus-size retailer. Addition-Elle deserves limitless praise for producing such an attractive, yet bold and challenging picture.

I'd like to show this image to every other plus-size client and say, "This is what the public is looking for." There are a number of gorgeous models in the industry who could create images like these. Let's hope that the clients will seek them out and shoot them in as natural and affirmative a manner as Melissa is photographed here.

The picture speaks of freedom, of being yourself, and of beauty. Marvellous.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010   #6
Meredith

I discovered another image of Melissa modelling intimates and looking very sensual at the Addition-Elle Facebook page:

It doesn't shows the fullness of her waist quite as well as the image from the side does, but it still indicates that she has a soft and curvy midsection. Shapely arms too. Beautiful, size-positive photo.

Last edited by HSG : 5th November 2010 at 06:49. Reason: Image URL edited
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010   #7
Courtney

Bravo for using a plus-size model who actually looks like a plus-size model. I want to see what that bra is going to look like on my body, not on a six-foot-tall, size-12 model.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010   #8
Kaitlynn

Addition-Elle's summer campaign goes from strength to strength. The company just released a new flyer:

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...98VVviewcat.htm

Two pictures of Melissa appear in the circular. One is new, and shows her in a casual summer ensemble. Nice photo.

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...30VVviewcat.htm

The other is the exciting one. It's an expanded view of the celebrated intimate-apparel image that appeared earlier in this thread. This is a fantastic photo for all of the reasons noted earlier. Not only does it acknowledge the soft expansiveness of Melissa's waist, but this view even shows the fullness of her womanly thighs. This really is as size-positive an image as I have ever seen.

http://www.1-plus.com/addition-elle...34VVviewcat.htm

No question that Addition-Elle is getting it right. I hope this is the first of many similarly groundbreaking campaigns from this company. I also hope that these images will nudge other clients in a more size-positive direction.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010   #9
MelanieW

Melissa appears on the AE cover again this week, in what may be the last image of the season of this admirably size-positive campaign.

You can see the gorgeous fullness of her thighs in those attractive white slacks.

I hope that Addition-Elle will continue to use visibly full-figured and gorgeous models like Melissa in the future.

http://www.addition-elle.com/
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote