The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st September 2010   #1
Meredith

Default Sem Medida: August '10

A recent thread on this forum discussed the Brazilian online magazine Sem Medida, which further acquainted all of us with many of Brazil's most beautiful models.

The magazine has just come out with its August issue, which is well worth a look. It features model interviews, meaty social topics, and even has three articles translated into English. Very impressive. Definitely a publication that I plan on following from now on.

The most significant portion is a new editorial featuring Marcia Spinelli, one of the magazine's star models from previous issues.

Apparently, the shoot for this editorial was done in conjunction with a Brazilian plus-size label called Maison Spa, and the fashions look quite comfortable. Marcia, a size 48 (U.S. size 18), has a terrific figure, as this knitwear item shows. It's just sheer enough to partially show the camisole beneath, particularly at the bust. This is a great way to make a casual item a bit more alluring.

I love Marcia's long golden tresses, which give her pictures a touch of wildness and sex appeal, even when she models casual wear.

Knits always look great on curvy bodies. The keyhole neckline adds a seductive glimpse of decolletage, which is especially attractive on a model who is buxom, as Marcia is. You can also see the curve of her hip.

I absolutely love the fact that the Brazilians don't try to hide their models' full waists, but show them off. This is a professional ensemble, but the model's curvy middle and her flowing hair make it a feminine and enticing look.

Here again you can see the model's rounded midsection. Cute expression from Marcia too. She's very pretty, and a fine model.

Something else that I adore about the Brazilian plus-size industry is that it embraces models who show real weight in their faces. Marcia has soft, full facial features, and the images don't try to downplay this, but show it off. The Brazilians recognize that full-figured models are most beautiful when they actually look plus, in their faces as well as in their figures.

Personally, I'm not fond of floor-length dresses, but this is still a great photograph of Marcia.

Here's a behind-the-scenes photo. You know that the industry is on the right track when the model on a photoshoot is the curviest members of the team. That's as it should be.

Everyone here will also be pleased by an article in which the magazine notes the praise that it recently received on this forum. You can even see the Judgment of Paris mentioned on the cover page. Even if you can't read Portuguese, be sure to skim through the article, as you will find many forum members named, and their comments quoted.

Sem Medida appears to be a very size-positive publication, and a wonderful window in the exciting plus-size industry in Brazil. Now that it includes English-language content as well, it will be more appealing than ever to a North American readership. However, the greatest draw will always be those gorgeous Brazilian size-18 and size-20 models.

You can read the issue by clicking on the "Arquivo para leitura" link beside the "Agosto de 2010" thumbnail on the following page, at the Sem Medida site:

http://www.semmedida.com.br/edicoes...presenta%E7%E3o
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Sem Medida: August '10

As others have observed, Sem Medida is a very promising online effort. It offers a wonderful window in the exciting Brazilian plus-size industry--the most size-positive in the world. The magazine's editor, Roberto Paes, is a real gentleman, a fine writer, and obviously knows how to put together a quality publication.

Here are the rest of the pages of the story in which our Judgment of Paris forum members are quoted. This is not the first time that our readers' comments have been republished (e.g., the second issue of Figure magazine quoted a number of posts from this forum in its letters page.) But Sem Medida's acknowledgment of its North American support is very kind and thoughtful.

Click to enlarge

A quick visual scan of the pages reveals the names of many familiar forum participants, along with the models whom they praise.

Click to enlarge

As our friend Joe Michaels (who posts as "tkds") wittily commented, "I say lovely things in Portuguese. Who knew?"

Click to enlarge

But be sure to visit the August issue itself (available directly at the link provided below) to enjoy the magazine's English-language content.

Incidentally, those of you who admire the look of this issue's principal model, Marcia Spinelli (43-39-45), will also appreciate this particularly attractive image of the Brazilian beauty. Observe how her tresses glow with a golden radiance in the afternoon light. And for those of you who are wondering--yes, she is wearing frost-pink lipstick, the most irresistibly kissable lip colour ever devised, a shade that reminds everyone of the plus-size princesses whom they fondly remember from high school.

Click to enlarge

Marcia also appears in the following YouTube video, a slideshow of some of Brazil's top plus-size models, including Agatha Godoi, and, from 5:42 onwards, everyone's favourite, Mayara Russi:

With the recent discovery of the Brazilian plus-size industry, many of us feel like Columbus finding a new world, when the old world--the American plus-size industry--had exhausted itself (or rather, has pushed true plus-size models out of its ranks, leaving behind an industry that is scarcely distinguishable from straight-size modelling, and offensively exclusionary of genuinely full-figured girls).

By contrast, Brazil still recognizes that plus-size models should be size 18 and 20. It is our pleasure to be celebrating the successes of this uncorrupted industry and its full-figured goddesses, and to give a nod to Sem Medida for promoting size-celebration in South America.

- Click here for Sem Medida's August issue

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010   #3
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Sem Medida: August '10

How wonderful to see that Sem Medida appreciates the positive press.

I found the Web site of "Maison Spa," the Brazilian plus-size label that produced the images in the magazine's editorial.

http://www.maisonspa.com.br/

The site features many more photos from this shoot, and the backgrounds are gorgeous tropical locales. If anyone ever publishes a plus-size calendar, they should invest some money and shoot in a tropical paradise like the one in the Maison Spa backgrounds.

Anyway, here are a few more images of Marcia from this campaign. I like her soft expression here. Great colour contrasts too.

Elegant dress.

I don't usually care for business suits, but this picture is worth posting to show how sensually snug the jacket is around Marcia's curvy 39" waist.

She has a natural fullness around her middle that is apparent when her waist is unconstricted.

I love this picture because it shows the fleshiness of her bare arm. Like other Brazilian companies, Maison Spa manages to promote its clothing and produce size-positive imagery in the process, showing off the size-18 figure of its model.

Finally, this picture is probably my favourite. The model looks very well fed in every aspect of her person, from the plump facial features to her buxom contours to the full waist. Her long tresses are gorgeous. This is the look of a girl who doesn't strave, but who eats, and eats well.

Add Marcia to the list of Brazilian lovelies (Mayara, Andrea, Stephane, Agatha) whose careers we should all follow from now on.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote